Adoption.....

Hi Donna

Fantastic news! During my fertility IVF process I have never once contimplated Adoption - to be honest iv felt it was never for me. I was unsure if i could love a child as much as I could for my own.

However that was until I met a lady at my clinic who did a talk for us, she had turned to adoption after many failed IVF attempts and heart ache. She is now mum to a perfect 2 year old boy who came from an alcholic mother. She made me look at everything in a whole different perspective the past year. Very inspirational! I have to admit after so many failed IVF treatments myself I have been leaning more to adoption recently and reading up on it on the interent.

I will be keeping an eye on this post in the future and your whole adoption story

xxxxxx

Hi Donna, congratulations to you both :)

Long post ...

About adoption, it's not as scarey as it's made out to be, however i agree with louiseB, to go in this process with your eyes open. But let me just share my experiance on this with you. I have been struggling for a while to get pregnant now, & thought long & hard about adoption.

I have a neighbour who is a foster parent & adopted 2 children. I felt i couldnt cope with this lttc so me & my husband decided adoption was the best thing for us both. I contacted my local adoption agency! & me & my husband started our training for it last october. It was a 5 day process & very very draining!

We was one of about 7 couples that attended that training! & they talk you through the type of children that need adopting! also give you paper work & put you in situations that you have to give your opinion on what you would do, out loud in the group. They pair you up with other people in the group & split you & your husband up so that you learn more.

I was given a course work where i had to say how i would deal with a child i had adopted who was abused! how she would touch a workman's bum who was carrying out a job at my home, then i was told how i would deal with the situation & also to remember why & what the child had been through.

The storys where really sad. However they have to go through this with you but it dont mean you will have a child that suffered all that. They go through things like, a child who is really abrupt etc cause of things they have had to deal with, then ask you how you would cope with that. But i was always reminded that it dont mean your child you adopt will suffer with this. And if they do they just need stability & the love they have never been given. They do get better.

You DONT have to adopt a child with special needs, its your choice. Your not forced to adopt a child with any special needs, however they have to ask you if you would take a child with these needs, as they have to find homes for these children too.

They match a child up with your race, hair colour, eye colour, you can pick gender what you prefare, & age. I said i would want to adopt a child that is no older than 3 years of age. I was told thats fine its my choice.

Both me & my husband was given homework! every night! it is draining but you can do it ;) it's not the amount of work its self its what the work is about that makes it draining for you.

They do a background chase, they check for police records, also speak with your gp to see if either of you has any terminal illnesses etc. Also speaks about family background to see if anyone sufferes with any type of illness that could put your adoptive child at risk of danger i.e mental health issues. They then do a home process with you, & then they go & find you a match! which could take 3 mths to 3yrs.

About the real parents, some parents ask for contact! some ask for 1 day out of 12mths to spend 2hrs with the child, which the adoption agency have a place where you meet up, so you go with the child. Also there is letter box contact, which there parent would like a letter every 12mths which is sent through the letterbox at the adoption agency, so no addresses are given out. You dont have to do this but its in the childs best interest that you have to think about. I can handle the letter every 12mth but the meeting up with the parent that i couldnt. So i asked for a child who's mother dont want to meet up contact. They can find that for you.

Me & my husband passed!! our adoption training! however i went through a meltdown just after that, & become hormonal & broody! & wanted my own child. So i pulled out, spoke to my adoption agency, told them how i felt, that i was not ready, it wouldnt be fare on the child & that i wanted to put it on hold. So it's on hold. Because i have pulled out, i have to do the adoption training again, but this time its only 2 days, as every year the adoption rules change, so the next training is march next year. If i dont get pg by then, then i have decided adoption is for me & cant keep lttc, am getting no younger.

The only time a mother can decide to keep her child is if they are going through some kind of detox from drugs etc, there child is takin away then the social worker find it's in the childs best interest to be adopted, IF the mother has been given the all clear on drugs etc & got herself a proper home, i.e stability for child & a job! then the child could be reunited back with its parents if the parent wanted her child back. However there our cases where there is children who deffo wont be going back to there parents so dont worry about going through all this then the child is takin away from you.

Goodluck!! in your adoption journey! & i hope you & your husband are placed with a lovely child who needs the love, you & your husband can give him/her. ;)

X

Wow Star, that's some fab info there, hope it helps others who are thinking about adoption. x x

Thanks Star!

I have just got off the phone from my social worker and was told everything what you have told us. The only problem is that I didn't like her attitude, first she questioned why we wanted to adopt, why we can't have children naturally (because we are both young still) and also when she asked about health, I mentioned there is nothing wrong with us and fit and healthy which we are, then as soon I mentioned why we got turned down for IVF due to our BMI's being over the national guidelines and there is a risk to me, she was like well that's not good both being overweight....blah blah and their doctor's will want to see if we are doing enough to prove we are losing weight etc.... I was shocked that the way she talked to me, it has put me off a little, because I am thinking to myself now, with tears coming down my face that we have to be super fit and slim before adopting a child, how ridicolous is that? When I mentioned that everything boil's down to your weight now days, she went on to the fact that it shouldn't effect your chances on adoption, but is looked into. It is a strain already and we haven't even gone to our initial first meeting yet with the social worker.

I just felt that because we are both young and overweight that this has to be questioned all the time!

Thanks for all the advice. I am off to my sister's for a couple of days (she's just had a baby) so going to make the most to spend some quality time with my new nephew and sister!

Donna x

Last edited:
I just got your message & replied hun.

Thats not nice at all what she has said about weight being a issue, this clearly is not true, my neighbour who has adopted 2 children & fostered hundreds is a big girl & am not thin myself either. I think she's just been one of them snotty ones. If you dont feel comfortable with that agency try another hun.

They do ask why you feel the need to adopt, they have to ask everyone this its routine. You dont have to be super slim, rich, or have a house like a mansion. As long as you have a clean home, when i say clean i dont mean immaculate either, as long as you have the space for a child & your income is enough to look after a child, & theres no seriouce health issues with either of you, then your fine to adopt a child.

Dont let this get you down, maybe if you go meet her she will be totally different than what she's been over the phone.

I had to choice a agency out of my area but still within my district because one local to me said they would not put children with a couple who lives in the same area as where the agency is. ( Pathetic) isnt it. My neighbour said she dont understand it cause she is under the agency i tried to get in & she lives in that district.

Dont let this worry you hunni.

xx

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice hun

Just fraustrating when you have people like her around....but then again she may be different in person (very much doubt it) I am looking for other agencies as well.

Thanks Again x

Your welcome hun, anytime :)
Might be worth looking for another agency, i think i would do the same if i felt uncomfortable with her attitude. Goodluck! let me know if you find another one X

Hi BabyLover,

I am quite new to this so I hope you don't mind me adding my two pence worth in.

I am 24 and I was adopted at three days old. My adopted parents had been TTC for a long time and had had numerous failed attempts at IVF.

I think that adoption is the single most hardest yet most rewarding thing in the world. I don't know my biological parents and I consider my adopted parents, the people who have brought me up, loved me and been through thick and thin with me as my mum and dad. When my parents explained to me what they had gone through during the adoption process I really felt for them.

Since when did your shape or size define your ability to love and nurture a child and watch that child grow?

Myself and my husband are currently TTC and we have had the conversation about if it doesn't work would we go through the adoption process. I am still undecided, purely because of a lot of the issues I have as a result of being 'given up' at birth (not meaning to sound like I am wallowing in my own self pitty).

Whatever you and your husband decide on I wish you the best of luck.

xx

Wow congrats on the wedding and I hope you have many years of happiness together. :)
Please keep me updated on the adoption process so us girls on here know what is involved and how long etc etc plus it would be lovely to follow your journey.
I wish you all the best with it, I imagine it is a hard decision to make but once done you must both be so excited. I am a solicitor and did a lot of adpation work when i was doing my legal training. It is always final and I have never heard of a case where the biologial parents have visitation rights. Once the papers are signed that is it and you are the legal parents. :)
Good luck with everything.

Love Gizzy xxxx

Theres been loads these last few weeks on tv about the whole adoption process. Cameron is supposed to be sorting it all out so it dont take so long the paper work, there is too many tick box's & to many rules, & this has to be faster so people are not waiting ages & born baby are now to be adopted insted of being put up for foster care & not put up for adoption straight away. The rules are pathetic but its gonna change :)

Karate kid. :) I am going to adopt if i aint successfull in ttc by march 2012. I have already done my training but have to do it again for 2 days insted of the normal 5 because i put my last process on hold as i become pregnant as soon as i finished the training but sadley lost the pregnancy. I have to go through the adoption training again! xx

Hey Ladies

Thanks for the support.

I have been so busy so please excuse me for not posting a reply any earlier. We have been to our first adoption visit at their offices and it went well. They are now arranging to do their first visit to our home as soon as possible, but could be anything up to or beyond Christmas time. We are in the process on decorating at the moment the hall way and bathroom, so it's like a bomb has hit my house, but the social worker said it doesn't matter lol

Just the waiting now. There is a lot of waiting and form filling in, especially loads of paperwork on their side, we are told!

Donna x

Wishing you all the best with the adoption route. It is an amazing thing to do. A process myself and my fiance are looking at, i will keep checking back for updates if you dont mind? :)

Theres been loads these last few weeks on tv about the whole adoption process. Cameron is supposed to be sorting it all out so it dont take so long the paper work, there is too many tick box's & to many rules, & this has to be faster so people are not waiting ages & born baby are now to be adopted insted of being put up for foster care & not put up for adoption straight away. The rules are pathetic but its gonna change :)

Karate kid. :) I am going to adopt if i aint successfull in ttc by march 2012. I have already done my training but have to do it again for 2 days insted of the normal 5 because i put my last process on hold as i become pregnant as soon as i finished the training but sadley lost the pregnancy. I have to go through the adoption training again! xx

Good luck hun!! Figers crossed forwatever journey life takes you on. I think if it came to it in my heart of hearts I know that I would adopt I am just petrified of all the emotional strain that comes with the process, just don't know if I am strong enough! I have been TTC for three months now so I need to be a bit more paitent with myself and stop thinking the worst!!

xx

Donna thats great news. Did you stay with that same agency ? Goodluck hun. Wishing you the best on your adoption process xx

Karatekid. 3mths hun give it time, it can take a couple who are so healthy 12mths to ttc. When i was ttc my 1st it took me 6mths so give it time hunni & i wouldnt rush into anything untill you have at least been ttc 2yrs. Its all timing & its easy to miss each month, are you using opks ? Wishing you the very best on your ttc journey. You will get your bfp very soon. xx

Last edited:
Donna thats great news. Did you stay with that same agency ? Goodluck hun. Wishing you the best on your adoption process xx

Karatekid. 3mths hun give it time, it can take a couple who are so healthy 12mths to ttc. When i was ttc my 1st it took me 6mths so give it time hunni & i wouldnt rush into anything untill you have at least been ttc 2yrs. Its all timing & its easy to miss each month, are you using opks ? Wishing you the very best on your ttc journey. You will get your bfp very soon. xx

Hey Hunni

No we have gone with another agency now, which are far better and much nicer! It's the waiting time that is so stressful, because I am one of those people who just wants everything done now (I know that sounds awful) but's it's the truth, especially when it's coming up to 5 years since we first TTC naturally and continue to TTC for a baby.....Frustrating more than anything lol

We will be okay, we are both strong and there for each other. I might set up a journal on here for people who are going to or started the same process to tell you what it is like. Gives more information to other people who need to know more I suppose.

Thanks for the support xx

Good luck hun!! Figers crossed forwatever journey life takes you on. I think if it came to it in my heart of hearts I know that I would adopt I am just petrified of all the emotional strain that comes with the process, just don't know if I am strong enough! I have been TTC for three months now so I need to be a bit more paitent with myself and stop thinking the worst!!

xx

Thanks hunni.

3 months of TTC is not that long, trust me, you are speaking to a person who has been TTC for nearly 5 years and it is frustrating...but most couple's don't cop out until around 6 months to a year, so you will be okay I am sure.

All the best for your future BFP.

Donna x

Thank you ladies, I really hope my time will come... I am just really worried because I don't know my medical history and I used to have really irregular periods.... they have settled a bit now thankfully but still.

Cannot wait to hear about how you both get on. Stay positive and loads of luck to you both!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back