Acupuncture?

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. Definitely don't think I will be going back to that practice! Depending on how hospital appointment goes I may try again somewhere else in a few weeks

Anna x

Hi we had acupuncture during our IVF cycle and i believe it helped us get a BFP. it totally relaxed me and my guy was amazing who i had . it gets your lining ready for the eggs to go back in , a really good therapist will advise when to go and when not to go - didnt have any heat lamp or pills just needles, and massage if i was stressed- i still see him now twice a month through pregnancy and its helped with my anxiety so much, i am almost in a meditative state tooxx

Well, I had my acupuncture yesterday, (I found a place near work that looked good and they sounded lovely so I booked an appointment) As I was in the waiting room someone came in and there was a really strong waft of what smelt suspiciously like skunk! I wondered if the woman realized how obvious it was! The therapist introduced himself and handed me a form to fill in and I got the waft again! I surreptitiously flicked through the pages of the book he’d given me to lean on, thinking maybe the smell was seeped into that, but it wasn’t! Then he asked me to follow him and the smell was really strong! The whole place smelled of it including him! I thought, oh well, all the therapists are potheads, never mind, and went through to the treatment room!

He took all my info and was really thorough; he asked me loads of questions about my medical history and lifestyle that seemed really relevant. It made sense that if we don’t have a medical reason why I’m not pregnant, there may be something else blocking things. I told him about some family issues that could be significant, and just the act of sharing the info helped! Even though he was a bloke, he was very gentle and understanding and so knowledgeable about the female cycle, it didn’t feel at all embarrassing.

He felt my pulse points on my arm for ages and then put 5 needles in, one in my leg, one in my wrist, one on my forehead and two on my tummy at measured intervals! A couple of them on the bony areas stung a bit but not for long! I couldn’t feel the ones in my stomach at all! He then put some herbs on the stomach ones and lit them! I wasn’t expecting it, but because Londongirl mentioned it before, I wasn’t too shocked! It felt quite hot and I was a bit concerned that the ash would fall onto my skin, but it didn’t! My arm felt hot but not where the needle was, it had been stiff for a couple of days, (I’d just slept on it or something), but the muscle felt strangely hot. I didn’t really feel any energy or anything, but he was asking me questions and it felt as if the burdens were starting to float away with the smoke. (Ha, ha that sounds funny!)

Then I realized what the smell was! The herb that he was burning smelt just like weed! It’s called mugwort apparently and grows wild by railway tracks and things! It promotes relaxation, dream-filled sleep, recollection of dreams etc, brilliant! He also recommended Floradix or Spatone to take at the end of my period to replace iron, tone the blood and help the lining of the uterus to thicken properly. I’ve looked them up on Amazon and they aren’t expensive.

Afterwards I felt very relaxed and I wondered that if my arm felt hot, whether anything was going on in my uterus or not! And he apparently trained with the acupuncturist who is linked to the fertility clinic we are going to!

I’m definitely making another appointment! :)

Lol Blueflower that you felt you were walking into a weed den!!!

Sounds like you have had a positive experience. I nver had the burning things etc but if it all helps then Id be happy enough to go ahead. I felt the same just a kind of sense of stress free type thing and as if something was happening. The link to the fertility hospital is encouraging too. I had confidence in my therapist which I think is really important. I felt like she just seemed to know things about be instinctively. Hope the future appointments go well!! Xx

Ps the needles shouldn't hurt at all. The only time it stung was the month I fell pg & I fell asleep during the session. They might prick more on the way out but nothing to worry over :) xx

That was funny that you fell asleep! ;-)

Lol Blueflower that you felt you were walking into a weed den!!!

Sounds like you have had a positive experience. I nver had the burning things etc but if it all helps then Id be happy enough to go ahead. I felt the same just a kind of sense of stress free type thing and as if something was happening. The link to the fertility hospital is encouraging too. I had confidence in my therapist which I think is really important. I felt like she just seemed to know things about be instinctively. Hope the future appointments go well!! Xx

Yes I definitely trusted him. He also assumed I was married and which clinic we were going to. Maybe he just saw the ring and most people in our area go to that clinic. He also said he thought he recognised me from somewhere, but I'm not sure where!

I'm going to book another appt at the end of my next period and then once we start treatment.

I'm also going to get some mugwort! :nap:

Great news that it was a positive experience let's hope the positive energy is flowing to your little eggs. I'm off for my session at 4pm I always have a little nap during the treatment which is lovely x I read an article last night that said acupuncture can increase your chances of a successful IVF by 25% xx

Great thread, looking forward to my appointment next week now! Xx

Im a bit scared, ive booked an appointment for tomorrow for accupucture. He said he treats infertility jointly with herbs and accupucture. Not sure how I feel about the herbs, he said they are £36 for a 2week course. Seems expensive to me. Anyone else know more about the herbs they use and if its necessary to take them for it to work?

Hi,

Mine hasn't ever mentioned any herbs but it might be worth asking what the benefits are? I pay £150 for a block of 6 sessions it's expensive but I feel so much more relaxed x

Had my 1st appointment today and feel very relaxed and positive. It didn't hurt at all. He treats u jointly with Chinese medicine so I have some tablets being made up for me & sent through the post. Its blimmin expensive so I hope ot works. Not sure about the herbs, but willing to give it a go. He said I will feel a difference in my body temperature., im normally a cold person and I do feel warmer which isn't like me, so it must have done something to my circulation.
He put some magnets in my ear, not right inside but in the top fold and in the bottom. Im a bit conscious of them as dont want people asking questions, especially our parents as they dont know anything about us having problems or ttc. I dont think they are that obvious as they are tiny balls but fixed with tape. He said I have to try and keep them there throughout my treatment and will replace them each time if any come off.they are something to do with the kidneys. Has anyone had this when having accupucture?

Last edited:
That's interesting, I've heard of that before, I'm sure I saw a photo of gwynyth Paltrow or someone sporting the magnets on their ear so must be good! Xx

Blue flower so glad u had a positive experience. ..its amazing and I believe it got me a.bfp with our ivf. I went yesterday and he helps me with all my niggles.sore hips. Etc through pregnancy. ..I fell asleep. Out like light for 15 mins I find. It so relaxing.

My guy doesn't use herbs but he always gives such good advice about diet . pregnancy. Exercises. Labour etc.

I lool forward to hearing your treatment journey xxx

Magnets come off this morning, the tape was irritating my skin. I tried to cut it back a bit from view and to make it more comfortable but one came off, so I didn't think there was much point keeping the rest in. Surely if one is missing they cant do their job properly.
I must say though I am feeling more relaxed after my treatment yesterday, I slept for an hour or so yesterday afternoon when I come home and slept soundly last night!

Im a bit scared, ive booked an appointment for tomorrow for accupucture. He said he treats infertility jointly with herbs and accupucture. Not sure how I feel about the herbs, he said they are £36 for a 2week course. Seems expensive to me. Anyone else know more about the herbs they use and if its necessary to take them for it to work?

That does sound expensive. My herbs werer included in the treatment price but I have ordered some mugwort oil for burning because it brings back happy memories and made me feel relaxed! It was only about £7. Also the iron tablets aren't expensive.

That does sound expensive. My herbs werer included in the treatment price but I have ordered some mugwort oil for burning because it brings back happy memories and made me feel relaxed! It was only about £7. Also the iron tablets aren't expensive.

The herb tablets have a mix of about 6 different types all with different properties. Ill see how I go and can always say I didn't like them after I've finished the 2 week course. It is expensive, but I have looked about in my area and he seems on par with everyone else.

Last edited:
Hi there. I cannot recommend acupuncture enough. I signed up to 10 sessions a few months ago from a lady that works from home. I was so stressed out from ttc for 4 years that ended up being signed off from work after a little melt down, oops!

Anyway, my first session was fab, the lovely lady was brilliant, we chatted for an hour about what was up, why I was so emotional, stressed etc. So many questions were asked about my lifestyle even asked what my stool samples were like and how my periods were, ie dark blood, big clots etc. oh and every session she would check my tongue.

For fertility she advised me to go once a a week and actually knows my cycle better than me now, ha! Depending on what time of the month it is she does different needles as there as certain locations you should not have done if pregnant (I wish!)

I never feel her insert the needles but once they are in (ankle, shin, knee, wrist , elbow, forehead and sometimes belly) she comes back and manipulates them. The first few sessions I did not feel a lot but I have now become more in tune with how it feels. I get what feels like electric shocks, I can feel energy surges in random parts of the body, dull aching and these odd ripple effects. It is most bizarre!

I only have 2 more sessions and will be a bit sad to finish so will have to start saving for some more. Ok, so I'm not pregnant but the 2 periods i have had during acupuncture have been shorter and lighter. I am so much more relaxed and chilled out, I didn't curl up and cry when my period arrived nor have I cried or been really pissed off on finding out 2 people I know are pregnant.

Because I am now more in tune with my emotions I say acupuncture has been a success. I am still a bit sceptical with the link to fertility but by improving my general well being can only be a good thing right?

Sorry for the long response but thought I would share :)

Good luck to you all! xx

Picked my herb tablets up from post office this morning. I am going to rattle as I have to take 7 tablets 3 times a day! I really hope they work their magic! Next accupucture appt is tomorrow.

I had my first acupuncture appointment yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lovely lady who spent a good half an hour or more going through my history, asking me lots of questions etc. She was particularly interested in my daughters birth as i had an emergency c-section and had complications and was really ill. When she started the treatment she focused primarily around my scar to reconnect the meridians that were severed with the secion, it went extremely hot and red which is good apparantly! She also put the needles in some spots on my feet and ankles and my wrist which were to do with supporting my kidneys and spleen which are resonsible for reproductive health in chinese medicine. Came out feeling very relaxed and positive, i have another 3 sessions booked over the next 3 weeks and we'll review after that. It is expensive but i feel like i'm being proactive so glad i'm doing it! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back