About to be a single parent - anyone else?

Dovekie

Reaction score
After a rollercoaster 8 months, we have decided to split up. I'm moving back to be near my parents and have got myself a flat to rent. I'll stay with my parents until the baby is born though as I'm due in a couple of weeks.

I'm quite worried. I don't have any financial concerns as of yet, because I'm getting a lot of help. I'm worried about being alone with a baby. I'm upset because of the split and because my ex doesn't seem to care. I'm upset because my baby won't grow up with his dad (he's two hours away). I'm scared of what the future holds.

Is anyone else in a similar boat right now? Or have you experiences to share?

Thanks

Dovekie I'm really sorry to hear you have split. I'm sure you will be an amazing mummy and if things weren't working between you then it will be best for baby to grow up without having two parents who don't get along. Is his dad going to want to be involved? Make sure you work something out with him even if it is only financial support. Are his family interested in helping and having a relationship with him?

I'm not a single parent although I do spend a huge amount of time with baby alone as my oh works very long hours (he was doing 5am to midnight this week) and although I was worried about coping on my own it has actually been fine, so I think you will cope so much better than you think you will. Are your family able to offer support when you need a break? You can do it, take it a day at a time and make sure you enjoy spending all the special moments with your little chap.

Thanks Snowbee :) He does intend to be involved, both financially and as a father, and his family are being really kind and supportive. It's just a little difficult with the distance.

You are alone for most of the day then! I'm glad to hear you're coping well with it. I'll get lots of help from my parents, but I want to breastfeed, so there's only so much they can do. I'm sure they'll help with cooking and cleaning, etc. It just seems a bit daunting at the moment and I know I'll feel lonely and like something is missing. I guess I'll have a lot of bonding time with the baby!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time :( it was touch and go for me for a little while in my relationship, so I did a lot of thinking about raising a child on my own. Women are born to do this and as much so it is a sad time for you and sure, you'll feel alone sometimes, it'll also be one of the best times of your life and most of your day will be taken up enjoying motherhood. It's good that he still wants to be involved too, make the most of that. Most of my friends are powerful independent single mothers, it seems more the norm these days than being in a relationship. There is also always plenty of support out there if you need it. Xx

im only 8 weeks preggers, my o/h kicked me out and right now Im living in a night shelter.

I still have a full time job and my own car but without a "real" residence, I feel hopeless.

My new job starts on 17th July so I wont be entitled to maternity leave either.

So much going on right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back