aarrgghh - weaning/sleeping problem!

purple13

Reaction score
food is making my hyper non-sleeping baby worse :shock:

we're on week 2 of weaning and the last two days connor has been having dinner as well as lunch - TBH i might as well be giving him cans of red bull! he's had lunch at 1pm and tea at 5pm, but whereas before he would go to bed at 8.30/9.30pm and would be quiet and chilled out before then, for the last 2 days he's had a 15 minute nap at 6pm and has got a serious second wind. both of the last 2 nights he's had no interest in going to bed before 10.30pm and even then he's reluctant. both nights i've kept our routine the same - bath with lavender, bf with lights turned low and curtains shut, but he's not getting the message!

he's not sleeping during the day (other than this 6pm power-nap the last 2 days) although he'll maybe occasionally doze for a couple of minutes after a boob feed - and he's still bf-ing just as often as he ever was...

i can cope with the hyperactivity and not-sleeping in the daytime, but i neeeeeeed my little bit of 'me' time in the evening :( time to make dinner and cuddle with OH and just relax. connor's always up again before 4am for feeding so its not like i get that much time out...!

has anyone else found that solids interfere with their LO's sleeping habits? i had stupidly hoped that weaning might make connor sleep for longer - ha! how stupid was i? :wall: :wall:

any suggestions gratefully received...

gah! no suggestions or sympathy then anyone?? :shakehead: :lol: :lol:

it's teatime again and i'm really dreading this evening :( we're on a pre-dinner boobfeed at the mo - it's his 8th in 12 hours :shock: i feel like i'm in a vicious circle - feeding makes him ridiculously energetic and being ridiculously energetic means he needs to keep feeding...

and why the hell aren't i losing weight?! :twisted: :twisted:

Not had this problem but maybe switch to breakfast and lunch for the time being???

I wouldnt say its food, i think its just a stage they go through! When i properly weaned ky at 6months he started waking a couple times in the night whereas before he was sleeping 7.30 til 6am! Now at over 7months he will still wake before 5am and has to have a bottle to occasionally go back to sleep. he probably wakes a couple times before a night feed to but i can usually settle him back with his dummy. Im sorry hun but i think its just a phase they go though! :sleep: i feel your pain! haha! :doh:

I don't have any advice but have some of these :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope it is just a stage and will disappear soon x

Hey purple,

My advice would be to drop the nap at 6pm - I've always found that if I let DD sleep past 4.30pm, then she won't go to bed on time, from early on, we've had that strict rule in place and its worked a treat.

I know you haven't long started weaning but I started at 6 months but by 7 months we were on 3 meals, then at that point, we introduced 2 courses per meal (meal then fruit or yoghurt) - this worked a blinder and DD started sleeping through again (was waking up for one or two breastfeeds a night from 4months to 7months). It sounds like Connor's got lots of energy so more food is a good idea and will allow you to get some of your 'you' time back.

I got your PM, I'm on the other PC just now, but I'll email you tomorrow (if I remember :rotfl: ).

Good luck - keep us posted on how you get on.

Valentine Xxx

:hug: :hug: thanks guys - it was much better last night, thank goodness. ironically connor slept more than he usually does during the day cos we were out in the car (he always sleeps in his car seat) but i didn't let him nap at home. he went to bed just before half nine - funny what a difference 1/2 hour makes to the way i feel. he didn't wake up til 4.30am for a feed either - longest time yet :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: i hope the previous 3 nights were the blip, rather than last night... fingers crossed :pray: :pray:

Hooray! Well done little monster hehe ;)

He sounds like Luke so now I am dreading weaning LMAO! Nah, not really. I'd hope it's not food that's made him go a bit crazy.

I think I might try and drop any evening naps Luke has now. We generally go out int he evening for an hour or two... wander round shops or something like that, so Luke falls asleep in his car seat too so might start trying to keep him awake and see if that makes a difference as his sleep routine is bloody awful!!!! I feel like I still have a newborn baby.. seriously. Feeds every 2 hours and is very wakeful.

Matt's sat here this morning and said that he thinks he has ants in his nappy cos he can't sit still and is a crap sleeper and then said "God, youre like your Mummy. Im going to have two of you"

The cheek!

DebbieM said:
Matt's sat here this morning and said that he thinks he has ants in his nappy cos he can't sit still and is a crap sleeper and then said "God, youre like your Mummy. Im going to have two of you"

The cheek!

:lol: :lol: :lol: hehe, that sounds like connor too - people who haven't met him will hold him and go "he wriggles a lot doesn't he?", he's never still for a minute - tiring isn't it! :hug: :hug:

will PM you :wink: :)

Dinner was the last meal I introduced to lil miss... :) Lunch was the first...then Breakfast then Dinner...

BTW.... pm your fone number hun :shhh:

Squiglet said:
Dinner was the last meal I introduced to lil miss... :) Lunch was the first...then Breakfast then Dinner...

BTW.... pm your fone number hun :shhh:

oops, thanks squig! i thought i had :oops: :lol: :lol: i'm doing about 4 things at once and not paying attention!

LOL, did you add your number to the thread? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Bless ya!

My sister has had 3 kids so far and even she has commented on what a wriggler Luke is too. I think Luke and Connor sound very much alike!!

Harrisons the same, I give tea around 4pm now and he doesn't nap after 4pm either! He's hyper all the time though, arms and legs flap away :shock:

we're having good days and bad days with no real pattern to them tbh...

i'm exhausted today as connor has been so clingy for the last 48 hours. i can't put him down for a second without being screamed at and its wearing me down :( i sling him everywhere, but you can't get dressed, brush your teeth etc with a baby strapped to your front :wall: :wall: he's actually sleeping for once at the moment cos we've been out in the car. so now the car seat is in my hallway in the hope that he'll stay akip in it for a while and give me a bit of a break...

food is definitely giving him more energy - we're in week 3 now and the bf-ing hasn't decreased one little bit (still every 1.5/2 hours) despite 3 meals a day. he's so frustrated at all the things that he can't do yet and now he has extra calories to burn off, i feel like i've spawned a devil version of the duracell bunny :evil: :wall: :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back