A few questions

christmasbabygirl

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:
Right my little girl is 11 days old and she doesnt like going to sleep in her moses basket.
i had a feeding pillow and if i prop her on that on the bed then she is flat out, but obviously i cant do that with my and OH in bed as there is no room! also i only like to do this if one of us is awake as it is a squeeze and oneof us could easily roll on her or elbow her.

Also she will settle if i rest her upright on my chest. i love these cuddles and she often falls asleep like this after her night feed and when i sneak her back in her cot she usually wakes!!! sometimes she stays asleep but 99% of the time she wakes, so it is easier for me to leave her on my chest.

Im wondering if this is ok for me to do? i dont want her to end up being spoilt or clingy but surely she just wants to feel secure and be near me? isnt she too young to start being like thaT and if so when shall i stop doing this? also is it safe for my to be led on my back in bed with her on my chest, and for me to go to sleep aswell? sometimes i wake up and realise ihave been asleep like this for hours and i worry that its dangerous, is it?

sorry for all the questions its just this is my first and i didnt expect this!!

thanks in advanced xxx

Of course its ok for her to sleep on your chest hun! Shes so tiny and she loves her mum! :hug:
Me personally wouldn't like to sleep with her asleep on my chest though I have dozed a couple of times like that! But all night I would probably struggle to sleep all night like that with the worry!
Have you tried rolling a towel and placing it under the head of her mattress in her moses basket so she isn't totally flat?
Also compared to you, the moses basket will be so cold so I put a fleecey blanket down for Lola to lie on so its a little snuggier!

My Josh is similar - his favourite position to sleep is on mum or dads chest - weve had a few nights like this where ive managed to doze but i wake up having panic attacks that he might slip off me :( But if you are happy to lie like that then i dont see why you shouldnt. We decided not to though as he was getting far to used to it.

He will not sleep in his moses basket either as he punches the sides when he wakes and he seems to hate that, so we put him in his cot in his own room and that seems to work a lot better for us and for him

My husband and I prefer sleeping with Jacob like that! We thought it might make him dependent on having us right there, but he took to sleeping in his own bed before we go to bed most nights and has done so for at least a month or more. We still have him sleep with us out of choice, but there have been some times that we couldn't because we were both sick or for some other reason, and he has slept through the night. So, in our case it hasn't made him overly clingy at all! :D Enjoy your baby sleeping on your chest, it won't last long enough.

hi thre, our little ne,now threeweeks wont sleep in her basket either - am wondering why spent the monee on it!! she ends up co sleeping with us instead,not quite what ihad planned though, i am still aiming to gether in that basket somehow but ialways seem to be too tired to do it at the time!!! just wanted to say you are not alone!! its also amazinghow mothers instinct keeps co sleeping babaies safe, you sleep but somehow know not to squash them or rol over etc,

good luck!

Niamh likes this too. Especially at the moment as she is so snuffly and I think it helps her sleep better.
Like you, I worry about her rolling off if I doze off. To give me peace of mind, I pack pillows down each side of me (particularly good is the long sausage pregnancy pillow I had). She's never rolled off yet and I doze like this usually for an hour or so a night. Sometimes I roll over and tuck her into the crook of my arm so she's all snuggly but still slightly upright and she loves that the best!

Faith was the same as a newborn.
I'd try to settle her in her crib if that didn't work she'd sleep with me, in the end she started settling in her crib and now we have very little trouble :) x

I slept with DD on my chest in hospital the first night LO was born. MW wasnt too happy about it but i felt like LO wanted to be like that and i felt so close to her.

i have to say, i fell asleep either like this or with DS in the crook of my arms most nights in the first month and a half as i was just so tired with the night feeds that when he wouldn't settle, i would try settling him then moving him but would fall asleep in the process and wake up a few hrs later panicked that i'd done this and promising myself not to do it again, hehe. In the end he finally started settling when i started putting him on his front in his crib (could lift and turn head easily) and would just put his dummy in his mouth to fall asleep easier. Still have to bring him in with me when he wakes (not for feed) at 3am and we fall asleep together with him on his side, me on mine facing him and him in the crook of my arm. Now trying to move him into his own cot in own room, and it's proving very hard but i'm persevering.

oops, realised just hi-jacked this post!

My baby likes to sleep on me as well - fine when i'm awake but personally I feel really uncomfortable with it when i'm asleep. Like you, every time we put him down he would wake back up.
I think we've finally come up with a solution. I feed him when he's tired then put him down sleepy but still awake. I can't just leave him as he would scream so I stand over his moses basket - hold his hand with one of mine and put my other hand on his chest. It takes about 10-15 mins of standing like this but he does settle and sleep fairly well. Hope this helps x

zach's the same too, hun! he hates his moses basket, as soon as he throws his arms out he hits the sides and wakes up. usually we put him in there while he's asleep and let him sleep until his first (and only :wink: ) night feed, then i stick him in with me, he settles better and sleeps better.

Aw bless him! It must be so big and empty in there for them compared to the womb! Some nights if she is reaaally tired, she will settle on me and i try and sneak her back in and she will sleep in there for a few hours, but sometimes its just easier for her to be on me as we can both get some sleep! and she normally sleeps for a good 5 or 6 hours on there :cheer:

i do get fed up with people saying "oh u will regret having her in with u" it annoys me! if it is where she is comfy then its fine and when i move il put her in her own room and if we have problems then so be it! if im honest i love our nightime cuddles anyway! :wink:

Enjoy your baby girl being close, there seems such a hurry to get into routines, sleeping alone, this closeness is only here a short while, enjoy it :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back