The midwives are out there... somewhere (BBC news story)

Sherlock

Reaction score
Nurse graduates fail to find jobs

Hundreds of newly-qualified nurses and midwives are struggling to find work in the NHS months after graduating. Figures obtained by the Liberal Democrats show there has been an 80% rise in the number of nurses out of work six months after qualifying. In 2005/06, 770 nursing and midwifery graduates did not have a NHS post compared with just over 400 in 2002/03, latest figures show.

The government said staffing levels were determined by local needs.

Almost 500 nurses and midwives had found work outside the NHS or in other healthcare work, the figures showed. It means the number working in other healthcare-related professions six months after graduating has more than doubled in the last three years.

The figures were based on more than 11,000 graduates in 2005/06 up from around 9,000 in 2002/03.

Lib Dem health secretary, Norman Lamb said it was a "disgraceful waste of human talent". "It's no surprise that so many committed healthcare professionals have lost faith in the way Labour has run the NHS. "Having trained for years at taxpayers' expense, many nurses and midwives are now unable to find jobs. "This will have a terrible effect on already crumbling staff morale and send a worrying signal to patients at a time when the workload on many wards remains high."

He called for the government to put together a long-term workforce strategy.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health said: "It is for local NHS organisations to determine the number of nurses that they need to employ to meet the needs of their local populations.

"But the Department is working with strategic health authorities and trade unions to do all we can to maximise employment opportunities for newly qualified nurses."

Dr Peter Carter from the Royal College of Nursing said: "With 180,000 nurses due to retire in the next decade and immigration restrictions on overseas nurses in place, the NHS simply cannot afford to lose new blood.

"Yo-yo recruitment policies are no substitute for sound workforce planning."

Taken from BBC

I know things can change during the time you start training and the time you actually qualify but if I was going to study and qualify to be a nurse or midwife then I'd research my local NHS and find out exactly how many positions they have open at any one time on average and what their average annual staff turn over is, just so I have a good idea of just how likely I am to have a job to go to. Maybe alot of midwives are qualifying assuming they will automatically have a local job to walk into and then when there isn't they don't want to move or commute to where the jobs are? :think:

Just my initial thoughts, its not something I've ever really wondered about to be honest :think:

I'ma student nurse & know that it can be difficult to find jobs once qualified. Sadly also, this depends on the hierarchy of which university you come from, I'm lucky where we study that all of our student nurses and midwives are almost guaranteed jobs due to the Oxford Radcliffe trust supplying fantastic training opportunities & education, after all this is wher the Oxford uni doctors are trained!

However, I am also not thinking that I have a guaranteed post at the end of it. I've gone into my training to do something that I wish to & if I have to travel when I qualify, I will here or overseas, don't even know where I want to end up yet! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back