A C-Section on the cards

Jaidy

Reaction score
Well I had my consultant appointment today, I saw a lady consultant and she was really nice, listened to all my concerns and worries and was very informative.

As some of you know, I had to go back on my regular anti depressants a couple of months ago as I was struggling to cope and was having a hard time and am feeling a lot better being back on them.

However, I have been made aware that as a side effect of being on the drugs, my baby 'may' be born with slight breathing problems and have slight withdrawal symptoms from the drugs. This is only a 'maybe'. The consultant wants me to have a 'smooth' as possible birth for the baby, as it is going to need to be monitored for a few days after the birth and has suggested a caesarean section to aid this process. She also thinks this will be better for me as I was very, very anxious in my last pregnancy and throughout my last labour and thinks this will cause less stress on both mine and the babies part.

I feel ok about this, at the end of the day all I want is the best for my baby and myself so I am probably going to go with what the consultant suggests, but the decision is down to me. Its not a 'huge' medical reason for having a C-Section but because of my history and the anti depressants issue she feels it is justified.

What do you guys think? I have to make a decision and tell her in 6 weeks so have some time to think it over. I am a bit scared of a C-Section, but then im scared of labour too and I know what thats like!!!!!

C section and a natural births are all pretty traumatic so I reckon just go with whichever you think will be less stressful for you and the baby. Sounds like that might be the c section option!

Glad you got a nice caring consultant too, sounds like they are looking after you :hug: :hug:

Oh Jaidy, what a choice! I don't envy you. :hug:

All I would say is as you consider C-section think about recovery with a wee-un and a toddler. If you go down that route make sure you have A LOT of help around you. Good luck, let us know what you decide x

Hon I'd take the doc's advice and have the C section if it is going to mean less stress for you and baby. :hug:

I had a C section for my my first baby and will most likely be having one for my second. The consultant I am seeing has said she would agree to one in my situation (for health reasons) if I request one. And I will be going down that route I think .

I personally had a good C section experience. It was calm, peaceful, not painful and staff were very supportive. I felt that the stress was taken out of labour. And I was not worried at all. I'd had a difficult pregnancy and the C Scetion birth was the easiest, calmest, most rewarding bit.

The only downside for me was the recovery time after...however, if you have support around you after the birth (to help you get up (if need be) or pass you things or pass baby to you) its a great help!

Before I had had a c-section i was scared of them from what I had read. I think the fact that

a) many women who haven't had them fear/don't like the idea of them
b) some women who have had them, have had them in an emergency situation after a traumatic and/or painful labour

taints the general view of C-sections. I am one of a number of women, I am sure, who have had a positive C section experience.

Good luck with your decision.

That's a difficult decision. I personally would avoid a C-Section like the plague... not because I think they're all bad or anything... just because for me it would be the worst case scenario. I hate going to the hospital and I hate operations!

However, my cousin's wife had to have an emergency C-Section and she said that she feared it but it was ok... so ok that she would probably have an elective one next time. The main problems with it are the recovery time and the fact your baby can be a bit more mucosy as it hasn't been 'squashed' during labour.

You just have to have a good think and decide what's best for you... it's your body after all! Good luck with whichever route you decide to take :hug:

:hug: hun planned c sections i've heard can be really lovely and relaxed which will be great for you if you are anxious about the birth however like minxy says its the after recovery with zac needs conseidering so i would plan to have your DH or your mum around for a good 4 weeks after thats how long til i felt i wanted to do anything apart from things with the baby let alone with a toddler too.

very difficult decision to make but at the end of the day if the consultant thinks its best i too would tend to go with their decision. xx

i'm going through the opposite fighting for a natural delivery after a c section! but i have to see what the consultant says xx

I have answered your questions in the "ask a mum" section, but just wanted to add a c-section is a pretty invasive operation, and I know I would be finding life very difficult if I had a toddler at home as well, and we even sent our dog on a residential training course as there is no way I could have coped with a newborn and our dog after the c-section.

If you have a lot of help at home - my husband took time off work, cleaned, cooked, and did everything for me for the first week you will be fine, if not then I wouldnt go for a c-section as the recovery is much longer (I didnt leave the house for 2 weeks and that was considered early as I recovered much better than some).

I think i'd go with the doctors advice and have the section if thats what they think is best. At least with it being planned you can make sure that everything is prepared at home at that you have the support you need afterwards.
Good luck making the decision.

I had to have an emergency C Section because the baby was in distressed.

Even though it was an emergency in the end it was actually a positive experience rather than a negative one. Yes the recovery period was a bit of a bind (6 weeks unable to drive, although after about 3 I felt physically ready).

As the girls said, just have lots of support around you and take it as easy as possible afterwards.

I'd go for the C-Section, you can pick the date and get all organised...

Hey ladies.

Thank you so much for all your comments, and experiences, really means alot to hear them.

Its definately helping me in coming to my decision.

I know if I do have a section that I have my husband who will be around for 2 weeks after the birth and my mum, for 2 weeks after that so I will have plenty of support.

Thanks again, will let you know the outcome. :D

awww i have just seen this jade.

I think you do what ever is best for you and baby, if that means a C section then i would go for it. I haven't had a C section before so cant advise on what it is like but like you say you have plenty of support from ur hubby and ur mum so im sure your recovery will be a speedy one :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back