6 weeks today and dark brown discharge/ blood for 2 days <GRAPHIC IMAGES>

Pondlife

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am 6 weeks pregnant today and the night before last I went tot the toilet and wiped away dark brown blood. I have twinges around where my uterus is (especially on my right side), but nothing I would call cramps, it almost feels like mild period pain. I called my midwife and she said unless the bleeding gets heavier not to worry, but I still can't help it.

I am a really anxious person and always assume the worst. There are some lumps in the discharge, but I don't know if you would describe them as congealed blood, or clots?

I had bleeding 2 weeks ago which was light pink in colour and lasted one night, it was only a few spots, but I assumed it was implantation bleeding?

My husband and I also DTD on Friday. Would is be possible for the blood to be old following implantation, or sex?

I am considering paying to get a private USS done just so I know either way, but if I am 6 weeks from my last period and approx 4 weeks from date of conception would they even see anything?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you all in advance xxx

Attachments

• Blood2.jpg
    Blood2.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Blood1.jpg
    Blood1.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 27
Hey pondlife. This must be so stressful, I'm sorry you're going through this right now :(

There are loads more women on here with more experience than I have in regards to bleeding but I believe I've read that brown blood is better than fresh red blood, and is quite common around 4-10 weeks in pregnancy. It could be a number of harmless things, including the placenta attaching to the wall, or a bit of spotting from old period blood. It could also be irritation from having had sex as well, as a lot of women spot afterwards as their cervix is sensitive. I think the fact that it hasn't gotten heavier in the last 48 hours, changed colour and isn't accompanied by painful cramps is a good sign.

A private ultrasound can be a good thing, if you have the finances, however it can go either way so early.
At 6+1 with both pregnancies I had scans and they showed a fetal pole with a heartbeat, but some women only see a fetal pole at this stage, and again if your dates are slightly out you might not even see that if you're closer to 5 weeks.

So for example, if you're 4 weeks pregnant (2 weeks from ovulation/conception) then you might not see anything, or might just see an empty sac.
If you're 5 weeks pregnant, you might see a sac and a yolk sac (small circle shape).
If you're 5 and a half to 6 weeks you might see a sac, yolk sac and maybe a fetal pole, but not necessarily a heartbeat at this stage.
If you're 6-7 weeks you should see a blob with a heartbeat, kinda looks like a bean.

If you think you're 6 weeks but actually ovulated a week later or implated a few days late, then you could be closer to 5 weeks, and a scan at this stage may just cause you further worry. You could always book one for next week when you might be able to see a bit more.

I had one with my first pregnancy to determine dates and I was around 4 and a half weeks. They saw an empty sac and told me to prepare for miscarriage, which was wrong advice. I panicked and panicked. I went back a week later and was dated 6+1 and saw a baby with HB. This was NHS.

Do you have an early pregnancy unit near you that you could call? I always heard that if you go with cramps and bleeding they will take bloods/do a scan to ensure viability. Might be a cheaper option as private scans can be anything from £50-£100 and might not rescan if you don't see much the first time.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Last edited:
I would push for bloods if anything. Generally if it&#8217;s not filling a pad an hour and bright red then your ok.
It&#8217;s very common for spotting in early pregnancy. I wouldn&#8217;t advise a scan at this time. I did this just the other day due to spotting thinking I&#8217;d be 7 weeks and it&#8217;s caused more uncertainty. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn&#8217;t have let them do a scan. I&#8217;d wait it out.
Sorry your having this. It&#8217;s not nice at all.

Thank you ladies. You've really helped. Would the scan be at least anle to show where the baby has implanted? And that it is in the right place?x

Hi there. I had bleeding like this with my previous pregnancy at six weeks andI went in for an early ultrasound just to make sure and everything was fine. She is now a happy healthy two year old :)

I hope this is the same for you. Good luck xx

Thank you ladies. You've really helped. Would the scan be at least anle to show where the baby has implanted? And that it is in the right place?x

I think at 6 weeks the scan should show at the very least a sac in your uterus if it’s implanted in the right place, and if you’re dates are right. Even from 4 weeks it should show a sac.

If you google ultrasound pictures from different weeks of pregnancy you can se how it progresses and the variations each week. I did this with my first when they couldn’t see anything at 4 weeks and it helped :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back