6-8 week check and health visitor

Sylvie

Reaction score
When did your babies have the 6-8 week check? I'm starting to wonder as Louis will be 8 weeks on Monday and I am still waiting to receive a letter for the appointment... I had my 6 week check at my GP's but for babies you have to go to the local children's clinic... I've never heard of them :think:
As for the health visitor we saw her once when Louis was 2 weeks old (the midwife was still visiting anyways) and haven't heard from her since then, which is a bit disappointing as baby was having weight issues she promised to send someone to weigh him regularly... that never happened. I don't even have her phone number :? Is she supposed to come and visit on a regular basis? Communication has always been very good with the midwife so I don't understand how this health visitor business works...

with all mine the 6-8 week check was done by the doctor, you should have heard something by now so id give them a call just to make sure they aint forgot

I would give your doctors a ring and ask if they run a baby clinic where you pop down and see the HV there. Or if they dont ask how you go about booking to see a HV.

If i want to see the HV or get Calleigh weighed/checked i go to baby clinic on a thurs no appointment needed.

HTH

Our clinic is run by the HV and is just a drop in one so no appointment etc needed. Mums can pitch up for a chat and the kiddies can sleep or play. All ages to school age is seems. You can have baby weighed there whenever also and the red book filled in. Don't have to, down to personal choice. Once a week for 2 hours and loads of mums go. Very noisy :lol:

HV did the 6 week growth check at home but is usually done at the clinic. Seeing my GP for the other bit tomorrow :)

HV can do home visits but a lot depends on budget etc. They always come out the first time at least IIRC. I know someone said their HV was only allowed to do 2 home visits.

I'd call your GP's surgery and see whats what with the HV. She may not come out but tell you to visit the weekly clinic whenever you feel like it :)

For Becky's 6-8 week check I got a letter through but I guess it will depend on your health centre. She ended up having it at closer to 10 weeks because they're so busy.

Here the baby clinic is on a Thursday and just for weight/height/routine concerns rather than the "official" checks where immunisations etc are given (GP did the physical check and jabs, HV did weight, height and developmental checks).

For Angel's 6 week check my HV booked it and was a home visit. Her 8 week was done at the surgery but GP when she had her jabs. Then i had to book for her 12 week. But i can pop in every tues for weigh and Q's. No appointment needed.

Good job I called the clinic as everyone at the GP surgery kept telling me they were not in charge of this 6-8 check :? Nothing was going to come through the post so I could have waited forever... I feel a bit let down since we've been discharged by the midwife...
On the phone a nice lady from the clinic finally gave us an appointment for Monday morning but she said they would only weigh him and measure him. She offered to call the GP to ask them to give me another appointment asap for the other exams and injections.
I'm a bit :twisted: :twisted: because it's a 20-minute walk to get to the surgery and about 40-minute walk to get to the clinic. If they were giving appointments in due time my OH would be able to take a day off to drive us, but everything always happens at the last minute... For my 6 week check I received the letter after the date of the appointment :wall: It was a complete waste of time anyway (apart from getting a prescription for the pill)...
Thanks for your answers :wave:

I was told to make an appointment for myself and DS with the doctor at 8 weeks, and an appointment with the nurse for his first jabs at the same time.

Our HV runs a clinic on a Tuesday morning but you have to make an appointment to see her. She came out to me twice, once just after the midwife signed us off and once at 6 weeks to check for signs of PND (made me fill in a questionnaire about how I was feeling).

Last edited:
We had to book the appointment for the 8 week check up ourselves.
HV come once overy 7 or 8 days until 6 weeks.

i never recieved a letter either, i had to make my own appointment with the doctor x

i had to make my own appointment too , altho we noth had extra checks at the hospital at 8 weeks due to the condition i suffered with and his prematuraty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back