4 weeks pregnant and out of the country

londonf1sttime

Reaction score
Hello - I've just found out I'm pregnant for the first time, unplanned and already 4 weeks, but the problem is I'm on honeymoon for the next 3 weeks in the US which means I can't go in to see a GP let alone arrange a booking in appointment until I'm back, which will be the 8th week (likely later depending on how quickly I can get an appointment - it's not easy at our GP). I'm worried that I'm going to be really late in terms of starting to plan anything, have screening scans and get any professional advice etc. From what I've read online I think I need to go and get some vitamin d supplements and folic acid, cut off alchol and the usual food list (soft cheese, raw meat etc) - is there anything else I should be doing?? I'm thinking of booking a private early pregnancy appointment for as soon as I'm back to put my mind at ease

Thanks so much for any advice

Last edited:
Can't you call your gp and tell them your situation? Maybe they will start planning appointments for you. Some areas require you to call your antenatal department yourself so that will be worth checking but your gp will know about this. Also you only need to buy pregnancy vitamins as they will have everything in that you need folic acid, vit d ect...
Just avoid theme parks obviously and raw meat and soft cheese. You can have soft cheese if it's cooked and avoid runny eggs.
Congratulations by the way on both getting married and being pregnant! I got pregnant just after our wedding I think. X

Don't worry too much. Like Blueclass said, see if you can call your GP from over there (might want to check on calling from your hotel, as that can be cheaper than using your cellphone) and make an appointment.
My boss was in Australia with work for a large part of her early pregnancy so didn't have her first scan until week 14, which was fine. In Sweden (where I'm from) the first scan usually isn't done until week 15 or 16, and you have your booking appointment in week 12.
Check out NHS web site for clear and concise info on what to eat and not. You obviously already know the basics. No alcohol and nothing that carries an increased risk of food poisoning (non pasteurised cheese, runny eggs, raw meat).
And congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I found out i was expecting at 11 weeks with my first! (now on 3rd) and the drs still got me in for a scan by 13 weeks. you could try emailing your drs and explain the situation, or is there someone at home you can trust to call and get an appointment for you? as for eating, no pate, mould ripened cheese or unpasteurized things, no more than 200mg caffeine a day, no raw meat, no raw fish and no fresh mayo

Congratulations on both your wedding and baby!

Call ur GP now and ask for an appointment when you get home, keep taking folic acid, and enjoy your honeymoon X I went to New York at weeks I found out the day before I went. I also changed GP during this time so didn't actually see my new GP until I was almost 9 weeks and had my booking in and scan at 12 weeks

I spend half my year in France and half in the uk, got my bfp whilst I was over there, I called my gp in the uk and explained I wouldn't be back until almost 10 weeks, they said no problem and booked me in for a day after I got back, got my 12 week scan through quickly and had it done bang on 12 weeks. I did see a doctor in France just for my own peace of mind but it wasn't really necessary. Start taking your vitamins and like you say avoid alcohol ect, it's my first too so I was also nervous but it was absolutely fine. Like the other ladies said enjoy your honeymoon & congratulations!!

In my area there is no need to see a GP just book with the midwife at week 9-10 as she arranges scans etc. She is usually easier to get to see than a GP. Don't stress about it enjoy your honeymoon. The only thing a GP is interested in is the form you sign to say they are looking after your pregnancy and they get a bit of money from the nhs for doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back