29 weeks pregnant and work announces risk of redundancy

KeelyT90

Reaction score
I am terrified with the news I've received.

I am 29 weeks pregnant and due to go on maternity leave on 17th April, by then I'll be 37 weeks...

Rang ACAS for some advice and they've said I need to bring my SMP leave date forward before they give me a date of when the redundancy process will start in order to my be affected.

Yet if I go this early, I'll only receive 90% of my salary for the first 6 weeks then SMP £136 a week. I will be completely dependent on tax credits yet cannot claim until little ones here. And yet if I take the risk of staying at work any longer and they start the process, then all I will et is Maternity Allowance from the Job Centre and will not qualify for tax credits...

I will be a single parent so my income is the only thing we will have.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Would you not be entitled to something like income support? xx

Last edited:
I've done a benefit check on the direct gov website and income support wasn't listed as something I'd qualify for

As a single, non-working parent you would be entitled to Income Support if you were made redundant before you go on maternity leave. If you're on Income Support, you qualify for child tax credits and I think something else - found all this out myself today at the job centre.

Is it 100% that you will be made redundant? Might be worth checking with the CAB what tax credits/benefits you may be entitled to, as they are far more helpful than either the job centre or the online calculators which are, quite frankly, a pile of horse :censored:

Last edited:
I don't think MA is taxable either so some people are better off on that (if I remember right) x

I'm a HR manager - why is your mat pay affected by your mat leave start date? I ask this as mat pay entitlement is based on your expected date of child birth and not the mat leave start date normally x

What does your company policy say?

Last edited:
I got made redundant at 20 weeks preganant - I've had to claim jobseekers from then until 26 week when I go on to maternity allowance (£136 per week) (you can also get the sure start grant of £500 if you are on MA) then when bubs arrives you'll be entitled to tax credits and child benefit. If you are living alone you will be entitled to housing and council tax benefits.

Honestly as disgusting as I think it is - I'm actually about £200 at least a month better off not working, I obviously don't reccomend benefits as a career but for people like us who it can't be helped, you will not be left out hanging without any money! Xx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. I've had confirmation last night that the company will have to in fact pay me my 39 weeks SMP as I'm being made redundant after the 15th week of EDD.
So relieved really., weight off my shoulders now.

I got made redundant at 20 weeks preganant - I've had to claim jobseekers from then until 26 week when I go on to maternity allowance (£136 per week) (you can also get the sure start grant of £500 if you are on MA) then when bubs arrives you'll be entitled to tax credits and child benefit. If you are living alone you will be entitled to housing and council tax benefits.

Honestly as disgusting as I think it is - I'm actually about £200 at least a month better off not working, I obviously don't reccomend benefits as a career but for people like us who it can't be helped, you will not be left out hanging without any money! Xx

i never understood that!

i work full time (before mat leave) and hubby works prt time... we dont earn a lot between us and the only think were entitled to is 72.00 a month tax credits. people i know who dont work earn more on benifit. they go to the pub more, they go shopping! i dont think i can remember the last time i had a night out at the pub, (well... i went for lunch last sunday lol) but deff not every week!

Thanks ladies. I've had confirmation last night that the company will have to in fact pay me my 39 weeks SMP as I'm being made redundant after the 15th week of EDD.
So relieved really., weight off my shoulders now.

Thanks for updating. I'd be tempted to complain about the advice you received from ACAS! Shocking!

Last edited:

i never understood that!

i work full time (before mat leave) and hubby works prt time... we dont earn a lot between us and the only think were entitled to is 72.00 a month tax credits. people i know who dont work earn more on benifit. they go to the pub more, they go shopping! i dont think i can remember the last time i had a night out at the pub, (well... i went for lunch last sunday lol) but deff not every week!

Honestly I think it's a joke - I'm no way saying people on benefits don't struggle, I have no doubt that 80% of the population is struggling atm but I have friends that have relied on benefits since day 1 and friends who work full time and it seems to me my friend on benefits seems better off - of course she might not be (I don't go peering though her bank statements lool) but it's just how it seems! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back