16 weeks gender scan - size

kitty2016

Reaction score
Morning all :)

I am a first time poster but have lurked the forum since becoming pregnant and found lots of helpful information.

I turned 16 weeks yesterday and paid for a private gender scan. Everything was great and we found out we were having a lovely baby boy!

I was told that baby was measuring at the size of 18 weeks but there's no way I can be 18 weeks pregnant. My husband is 6'2'', as was his dad, and his granddad was 6'4''!

Baby is measuring 13.6cm long and doctor said a 16 week baby would normally be around 10cm. He did say that baby had long arms and legs.

He told me not to mention the 18 week dating at my NHS scan because they may change my due date which he believes is unnecessary.

I just wondered if any of you had any experience of this?Does it mean baby will come early? That baby will be massive? Am I at risk of anything? I'm perfectly healthy and have a zero risk pregnancy but I guess I just want to put my mind at ease :)

This is my first pregnancy so obviously wanting to know EVERYTHING! I was overwhelmed yesterday so didn't really think to ask any of these questions. My NHS scan isn't for another 4 weeks!

Thanks very much :)
Kitty

This pic is from my app, just a rough guide obviously. I wouldn't panic tbh, you can always ask at your 20 week scan, you may find that growing evens out then? I don't know I'm not an expert but everyone is different, the guide is probably average and you will have people either side of that.
Happy your baby is doing well :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 25
Thank you! That's the app I have too - I guess i'm just worrying over nothing. I want to see it as a positive that i'll have a big strapping boy but i'm only small myself so was worrying about carrying him! x

Honestly I wouldn't worry my friends baby measure small according to scans she had a Tiny bump as well her baby was over 9lbs at birth they said would be around 5lbs I don't think scans give correct measurements all the time as it depends who is scanning I had a scan a week apart one I was measuring 3 days ahead the next I was measuring a day behind. Nothing wrong with s tall baby x

I wouldn't pay too much attention at the moment. The measurements can be out and 3cm is a tiny amount (easy to get it wrong by)

Wait and see what you're measuring at your later ante natal appointments :)

Also, they are right that you don't want them changing dates as it's just added risk of them getting all jumpy about induction when you hit 40 weeks by the "new dates". You're best leaving the date alone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back