12 week scan changed to consultant appointment?

Blisa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Please can someone offer any advice on my situation.. would be greatly appreciated!
Had 2 early scans, first one seen sack, I was told I was very early and to come back in 2 weeks, was scanned again on the 1st November where there was a teeny bean with a heartbeat been told baby was measuring 6 weeks 6 days at the time, and everything tied in perfect all was fine. The midwife/nurse then advised us that the 12 week scan was going to have to be changed to perform down syndrome check, etc. (I had already received a 12 week scan letter for the 28th of November, also was to make a home midwife appointment)
Today I have received a letter, saying I have an appointment on the 9th of December with a obstetrics antenatal consultant, very confused and not too sure why I'd be seeing a consultant this early? Next to the appointment it says '(op only)' I'm worried now and probably for nothing. Please could someone advise if possible

Don't want to read and run. Did you opt in for the different tests for downs syndrome and such? I wouldn't be worried as they said all things measured out fine at the scan. Is there no number on the letter that you could call and ask what the appointment would be about?

Just thinking that if you opted in for certain tests then they would just be booking them seperate as protocol and it's not measurement or specific to anything to do with the baby.

Not sure but I had a consultant appointment at 8 weeks coz I'm having shared care between midwife and consultants due to some health issues I have and my recurrent miscarriages x x x

Sarah - Yeah I was asked at my scan about the baby being measured for down syndrome, Myself and OH agreed we wanted it, but I thought the appointment would just be another scan as she told me the sonographer will measure the nape of babies neck. After reading through a few things do you think it could possibly be my bmi & the fact my father had diabetes which I've told them? I've yet to have my bloods etc taken for gestional diabetes which I was told I would have.. there's a number I'll give them a call Monday morning, just so confused! Thanks for the advice
& eriyinera is there a massive difference between shared? I have read that if pregnant ladies have to see consultants it's usually odd appointments, 8, 12, 20, etc weeks. I've not got any health complications, I am overweight and have had a miscarriage too. Thanks for your reply also xx

So far I've just had an extra scan and extra appointment. all being well I'll be discharged from consultant near the birth (omg I get to say that now holy shit! ) so I can have the water birth I want if my heart plays up then who knows! I also got extra anti sickness pills too

I had to go in at 10 weeks for bloods then a scan at 22 weeks they combine the results from both to get your risk factor for downs.

Yes its possibly due to BMI/diabetes. It's quite common to have consultant care and nothing to worry about, they do it for all sorts. I had it with my first pregnancy due to having some treatment for abnormal smear test in the past, and again was under the consultant in my second pregnancy because my first baby was big so had growth scans and gestational diabetes test etc. Just means they keep a closer eye on you :) xx

Last edited:
Thank you all, put my mind at ease, don't think I'm going to call anymore I'll just see what happens at the appointment. Eryinera really wish the best for you & everyone else!
Hard to not panic when it's such a complex thing, OH totally doesn't understand, which I don't expect him to! So nice to have someone to speak to xx

Last edited:
Thanks hub wishing you all the best too X X X

Glad you're feeling a bit better about it all now hon. Sometimes you just need to talk to people who have been through it or are going through it. My OH probably still thinks babies are delivered by storks. Lol. fX you're appointment goes well :)

Haha! It's funny how much they don't understand.. don't get me wrong if I truly needed him he would be there for me 100%, probably like most OH, but they truly are clueless! Stork babies would be much less of a worry! :D
And thank you! Hope all goes well for you with baby #2! How exciting! X

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back