• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1 year old's speech

Lacey's Mummy

Reaction score
I know every babies different but how's everyone's babies doing with speech around 10-12 months old?
Charley says mum and dada but that's it!!
Lacey was very slow with her speech that's why i'm worried charley will be the same. I'm forever talking to him, trying to teach him things but he's just not interested!
Loads of my friends babies are saying about 5+ words at this age, I'm sure charley should be saying more by now!

Lanna says Daddy, Hello, And Row Row if you start singing the boat song!

We've just got Dada, Mumma, Nana and Baba, and out of those the only one she actually uses in context is 'Dada'...the rest she'll say to anyone :)

Paige makes noises like words, not cooing or just making sounds, but talking to you as if she is talking. Humm, that doesn't really explain it very well.

She can't say any words yet and she used to say mumma and dadda but she's stopped doing that now. I'm not worried about her speech tbh. She's done everythin else perfectly so if she's a little slower picing up words then I don't mind. She can understand alot though.

hey there
Owen is understanding more, like cup, bunny, cat, drink, ball, in, etc. but the only 'word' he as is ticker-ticker which he does when we tickle him, and he tickles himself and sometimes us :) He babbles a lot and makes loads of sounds and usually has a favourite of the day. we don;t have any other words though. I'm not worried, he points a lot and says sounds for things but think he'll be a while yet. Interesting thread-I'm interested to see how other children this age are doing with language...

Paige makes noises like words, not cooing or just making sounds, but talking to you as if she is talking. Humm, that doesn't really explain it very well.

She can't say any words yet and she used to say mumma and dadda but she's stopped doing that now. I'm not worried about her speech tbh. She's done everythin else perfectly so if she's a little slower picing up words then I don't mind. She can understand alot though.

This is what he's doing. If I say a word 3 times he makes a noise 3 times, if I say a word 4 times, he makes a noise 4 times.

Lilly burbles lots as if she's talking to her toys but we have nothing recognizable at all yet.

Xxx

Loads of my friends babies are saying about 5+ words at this age, I'm sure charley should be saying more by now!

At 10 months?! Its possible but very rare, its more likely people are hearing their kids babble and thinking its words. I met a woman in baby group who reckoned her son could say digger at 9 months, she even bought a toy digger. All he was doing was babbling d-g-d-g-d-g :doh:

As long as you have words in context before the 2nd birthday you're fine. And as long as your child is giving you eye contact and interacting before that then don't worry what other peoples kids are doing.

Also girls usually develop speech before boys but they catch up by the time they 6. Its normal :flower:

Tegan says mama dada nana and ta if you give her something other than that she just Bables All day long! x

Thank you titch, makes me fill abit better.
My friend thinks her boy can say mum, dad, dog, duck

Take it with a pinch of salt! It is possible, but not something to worry about if your child isn't doing it! Charlies definitely not late. Morgan says 'uh-oh' when he drops something and copies words, if I say 'ta' he sometimes says it back. He also goes 'raaaa' if you ask him what a lion says, which is mega cute! :love:

He's 12 months old and I'm really not concerned at all, I'd be the first to panic if I thought there was a hint of him having problems!

Ewan is 11months and a half and we get baba, and roar if you say lion goes roar. But this is it should I be worried? He replys with ahhh if you ask him something.

I wouldn't worry Hun, my friends boy has just turned 2 and he doesn't utter a word, just points at things and says 'ah'

Drake only says dada, mama and uh oh. Still early days xx

hey hun, marley only says dadda, daaaad and mamma! he's being brought up bi-lingual so i think he will be a bit "slower" at first when compared to children learning just english, thats what the hv said. if we say byebye to him, he waves, and if mario says "ciao ciao" he waves! its cute! so he does atm understand "bye" in the 2 languages. i wouldnt worry tho, my friends lo is 18months and says the same words as marley does now!!!

he's being brought up bi-lingual so i think he will be a bit "slower" at first when compared to children learning just english, thats what the hv said. !!!

:doh:

I do despair of health visitors! Theres no evidence of this, bilingual children develop language at the same rate as monolingual children :flower:

Ewan is 11months and a half and we get baba, and roar if you say lion goes roar. But this is it should I be worried? He replys with ahhh if you ask him something.

sounds textbook perfect to me! first words are usually anytime around their first birthday, give or take 4-5 months.

he's being brought up bi-lingual so i think he will be a bit "slower" at first when compared to children learning just english, thats what the hv said. !!!

:doh:

I do despair of health visitors! Theres no evidence of this, bilingual children develop language at the same rate as monolingual children :flower:

thanks for that hun. my hv tells me everytime i see her!! wench!

Lol ask her to send you the research which shows that :muaha: bloomin HVs! What's wrong with admitting you don't know everything?! :roll:

i thought bilingual children learn the same amount of words in one language over two language!?! so they can have the exact same vocabulary asa any other child but in 2 languages but then suddenly go BAM two languages?

Joshua says: mama, dada, iya,he tries to say duck and doggy but comes out as Dgah (doggy) and Dur for duck. But he only ever uses those sounds for doggy and duck,=. So he cant actually properly say those words but is trying and differentiates between them! and if he is on a ride alon toy with us pushing he goes brrrrrrrrr as if hes driving but thats IT x

He understanda lot though! like you can say doggy and duck nd he goes and gets the relevant toys. He knows nana is banana and things but those are the only 'wprds' x

to be honest i have no idea! i was just going off what the HV said!! that seems more of a plausable theory though! hes really not saying much atm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back