£715 electricity bill!!!!!

H16

Reaction score
Moved into a rented tiny 2 bed flat last June which is electricity only (no gas).

The agency we rent through gave e-ON a reading when the last tennant moved out and set up our account for us which is meant to be on Economy 7.

Our bills were totalling £38 a month which I thought was fine as we have electric cooker etc. I expected it to go up to around £100ish a month when we had to start using storage heaters in winter.

From December every bill I have has been an estimate as the agency couldn't tell me where our electric meter was and did not provide us with an electric key anyway during this time I was being charged £200+ per month estimate and paid it all and just assumed they were overcharging me as it was an estimate and I would get credited once readings given. Not had a bill since March so just given readings now and they say I owe them over £700 for last 3 months which means over £200 a month is accurate! I find this insane, we have storage heaters that only come on at night, only had 2 of them turned on and turned them off completely 2 months ago as no longer cold. I don't get how it can be this much?!

Hmmm I've been shocked by my bill too - I've paid £85 a month for 12 months for gas & electric but there are only 2 of us in our 3 bed house. I've just had a bill for £600 in addition meaning my bill for the year is approx £1500 - a lot of money! But if I'm paying that for a 3 bed detached house & for gas AND electric I would say your bill is ridiculous.....I'd complain & ask for a breakdown x

I rang them up this afternoon and have demanded they send someone out to check the meter is not faulty as she swears my readings make it the right price, told her I am not paying it until it is looked into! She sending someone out on the 5th June so will see what happens I guess but I think it is beyond ridiculous :(

That does sound a lot. Because we have Gas and Electric to pay - and over the winter when we used the heating ALOT and use alot of electricity (OH spends a lot of time on playstation and a playstation really increases electricity bill) our bill for 6 months for both only came to a total of £418.. and i thought that was a lot. :\ x

Right there with you on the playstation front, my OH hammers is sometimes :/ x

Why does play station use a lot of electric? What more than just watching TV and stuff like that.....worried now! Lol x

Last edited:
have you been using the boost button for hot water? your electric is probably divided into two sections. Heating and standard electric.

your hot water and storage heating run off the cheaper Heating section.
Everything with a plug, and the water booster all run of the more expensive standard electric.

the boost button costs a fortune!

That sounds like waaaay too much.

I've got an electric oven, and two aquariums running and only pay 100 a month for gas and electric x

do you have a day and night rate? I had the same, got £600 for 5 months when average bill to my area is £40 , it turns out first of all on direct debit the prices are much much lower than on paper bills and the other thing there are two tariffs (not sure if in eon - you need to find out) , I'm with spark energy and got day (17 pence per kwH) and night tariff (5pence per kwH) and despite to what I was told by their customer service (twice wrong hours) I checked myself one day on the meter what times exactly night rate starts and wrote it all down and I only do washing, use a cooker, vacuum etc in the times when the night rate is on because it's 4 times cheaper! my night rate is 9am-1:30pm and then 6pm-8pm and there are few more hours when night is on so you know night doesn't really mean night but it's 4 times cheaper so it's worth checking when yours is on, hope that helps a bit

oh and forgot to add now when I control when using most energy consuption items I pay between £55 and £80 per month! even in the winter. oh and I also had my heaters set up to the times when night is on.

remember the heaters and kettle uses lots of energy, I think kettle is 1kw per one use while washing machine is 1-2 per use so if you use kettle a lot just count how much energy can it cost, it is quite easier when you get a thermos and boil water once a day, it keeps water hot for 12 hours so it's quite smart to save energy

Last edited:
have you been using the boost button for hot water? your electric is probably divided into two sections. Heating and standard electric.

your hot water and storage heating run off the cheaper Heating section.
Everything with a plug, and the water booster all run of the more expensive standard electric.

the boost button costs a fortune!

Nope, never turn the booster on, no need to.

do you have a day and night rate? I had the same, got £600 for 5 months when average bill to my area is £40 , it turns out first of all on direct debit the prices are much much lower than on paper bills and the other thing there are two tariffs (not sure if in eon - you need to find out) , I'm with spark energy and got day (17 pence per kwH) and night tariff (5pence per kwH) and despite to what I was told by their customer service (twice wrong hours) I checked myself one day on the meter what times exactly night rate starts and wrote it all down and I only do washing, use a cooker, vacuum etc in the times when the night rate is on because it's 4 times cheaper! my night rate is 9am-1:30pm and then 6pm-8pm and there are few more hours when night is on so you know night doesn't really mean night but it's 4 times cheaper so it's worth checking when yours is on, hope that helps a bit

oh and forgot to add now when I control when using most energy consuption items I pay between £55 and £80 per month! even in the winter. oh and I also had my heaters set up to the times when night is on.

remember the heaters and kettle uses lots of energy, I think kettle is 1kw per one use while washing machine is 1-2 per use so if you use kettle a lot just count how much energy can it cost, it is quite easier when you get a thermos and boil water once a day, it keeps water hot for 12 hours so it's quite smart to save energy

Yup, am on heatwise tarriff which is economy 10 so 10 hours of cheaper electric from late afternoon til early hours of morn, storage heaters all turned off at mains and have been for months. Water tank heats up during cheap rate hours and once we run out of hot water next morning thats it, never use booster. Only ever do washing at night or during weeknds as weekend rate cheap for us too. Only thing on during the day is the fish tank, everything else gets turned off. Will have to check when my cheap hours are as your times sound mad!!

Do u think it would be worth getting one of these?

We have one and its brill at showing how much electric we are using. U can see when the water heater is on it shoots up and when the kettle,microwave, oven etc are on it shoots up too.

It tells u exactly how much pence per hour u are using x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371310628173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371310628173.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 10
Ohhh thanks for that, I will take a look :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics