Yoghurt for 5.5 months old?

laracomps

Reaction score
I don't really want to buy any that are laden with sugar, and would much prefer to use natural organic yoghurts like Rachel's organic, or the Yeo Valley.

They all say from 6 months... Is there a reason for this, or is it just because of the WHO guidelines? As petit filous etc say from 4 months??

Cheers all :)

There are some others that say from 4 months, from memory I think there are winnie the pooh and muller ones.... I'm not sure what the difference is thought tbh.

I use Onken Bio Pots. They have the same stuff in them but half the sugar. She seems to love them. I eat them and keep a bit for Angel. Saves a fortune.

I give my LO Muller Little Stars yoghurts - they can be used from weaning and looked the best on the shelf wrt sugar/preservatives and their use in weaning babies. I focused on those that stated 'suitable for weaning babies'. Hope that helps a little.

petit filous (sp)

says from 4 months

it is because of the guidelines - it is suggested that dairy products and meat aren't introduced until after 6 months. i give connor the rachel's yoghurts and he loves them.

is there any reason why you can't just wait a couple of weeks until you give them?

I haven't given Becky anything dairy (apart from formula) yet because HV advised me not to until 6 months. I never questioned it at the time but assume it's to do with the increased risk of allergies if you wean before 6 months? Might have a look into it because I like yoghurt :lol:

purple13 said:
it is because of the guidelines - it is suggested that dairy products and meat aren't introduced until after 6 months. i give connor the rachel's yoghurts and he loves them.

is there any reason why you can't just wait a couple of weeks until you give them?

I could wait until she is 6 months, I was just looking to increase her dairy intake a bit cos of her reflux. She's on formula, so she is already on dairy if you see what i mean. So just wondered if she could have some kind of yoghurt.

daftscotslass said:
I haven't given Becky anything dairy (apart from formula) yet because HV advised me not to until 6 months. I never questioned it at the time but assume it's to do with the increased risk of allergies if you wean before 6 months? Might have a look into it because I like yoghurt :lol:

Yeah, thats why I was a bit confused?! As formula is made from cow's milk :wall: Oh well!

Might just try adding some milk to stuff I guess.

It's all a bit weird, there's no consistency in any of the guidelines. I can't believe that a baby would hit 6 months and then all of a sudden something would click that would make them less prone to allergies - for the sake of a couple of weeks? I like the idea of the plain yoghurt, could always add some fruity stuff. Might go for a nosy round Tesco.

When i discussed it with my Nursery Nurse she suggested yogurts! I originally bought Asda Good For You Fromage Frais, it's so much cheaper and added my own fruits. But she much prefers my yogurt. I don't give her it all the time. It's only a quid a pot and it doesn't make much difference to me taking some out and put it into a pot. It has very small bits of strawberry in it but she isn't phased at all by lumps.

the guidelines are due to gut maturity and its capability of absorbing anything other than breast milk.

IMHO why offer anything before the world's experts suggest, if its not something that's desperately needed?

i think my views are in a minority round here at the moment though :think:

formula is modified cows milk to make it easier for baby to digest so its not the same as giving baby dairy products.

Daftscotslass, its not that on the stroke of midnight when baby turns 6 months that all of a sudden they are able to eat yoghurt, its that dairy is pretty allergenic so the guidlelines recommend 6 months as this gives the gut more chance to mature and more able to deal with potential allergens.

beanie said:
formula is modified cows milk to make it easier for baby to digest so its not the same as giving baby dairy products.

Daftscotslass, its not that on the stroke of midnight when baby turns 6 months that all of a sudden they are able to eat yoghurt, its that dairy is pretty allergenic so the guidlelines recommend 6 months as this gives the gut more chance to mature and more able to deal with potential allergens.

I didn't realise it was altered to make it easier to digest, I thought it just had added iron and extra stuff they need. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll wait till she's 6 months and just try adding her milk to her food. Feels like a losing battle either way at the moment getting milk into her :roll:

Hope I've not started another debate... Just wanted a bit of advice, as I'm not best clued up on these things. Thanks anyway.

(Was told to wean early by Phoebe's Doctor)

:hug: :hug:

I have some fresh rasps in the freezer, and Ill defrost one or two and mix them with natural yogurt, deeeeelish! Tom loves it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back