Worried!

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
The doctor prescribed me codeine the other day for the pain I've got with SPD, he said I could take paracetamol with it too.

I couldnt get an appointment so this was only over the phone, he knows Im 37 weeks pregnant though.

Anyway, I've been reading this morning on loads of different websites that codeine shouldnt be taken in 3rd trimester as it can cause tissue damage in the baby and it can give the baby withdrawal symptoms after the birth :shock:

And I've read that it should NOT be taken with any other paracetamol products!?!?!?! I've been taking 2 codeine tablets and 2 paracetamol on a morning and before bed.

Im really worried now....and confused!! :? :? :?

Don't panic too much! A long, long time ago I sold paracetamol and codeine for a while, and didn't recall it being contra-indicated for pregnant women, just to be prescribed with care. Here is the data sheet for what I used to sell, it gives you the manufacturer's recommendations;
http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/ ... #PREGNANCY

When people tell you you shouldn't take it with paracetamol, they are saying you shouldn't take extra paracetamol if you are already taking the combined paracetamol and codeine tablet. If you are just taking a pure codeine tablet, you are fine to take the extra paracetamol, if you see what I mean. Doctors these days are trying to cut their budgets and just prescribe the codeine tablets, because their patients can buy the paracetamol if they want it and it saves the doctor 20p or something :roll: .

If you are taking codeine under medical guidance and are not dependent on it and your doctor knows you are pregnant, you should be OK to take the codeine if you want to take it. I have never known a pain relief patient become dependent on codeine. Also, please remember, regardless of what I have written here, I am not your doctor and he is better placed to give you advice wrt codeine in your individual case. Hope you feel better soon!

Give the gp a bell back and tell him your concerns, if the net says that then it cant be all that wrong! :D

Thanks mayday :hug:

I couldnt get through to the doctors so I rang the pharmacist and she said stop taking them immediately until I've spoken to the GP or midwife :shock:

Im seeing the midwife tomorrow so I'll ask her then :?

Hiya,

I was told by a consultant i could take co-codamol for my sciatica. This is codiene and paracetamol together.

I have been taking it when my back is really bad as the consultant said i could.

I know you are not meant to take it for long periods of time or excessively as codeine can be addictive. But if i cant sleep at night cos of my back i take 1 or 2 co-codamol.

So i wouldn't worry, the internet isn't always right and i believe the consultant.

Lau
xxxx

you should back the doc... just to make sure

i called the hosp labour ward when i had a bad cold in 2nd tri and had a stiff neck & headache, asking if i could take paracetamol&codeine tablets- and was told no! it sounds like different ppl tell us deifferent things! :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back