Working whilst pregnant...

Pinktink23

Reaction score
Hey ladies...

I need some help... I met my midwife for the first time on friday was all very pointless, i asked questions to which she got off her chair and handed me a book said all your questions are in here...
Reading the book and it doesnt help....

I work full time and ive only really been there since January... I told them i was pregnant and they still offered me my contract... which i thought was great... As im getting bigger and closer to my date i started to think more about Maternity... Im unable to get the maternity pay as i havent been there for long... So i am having to fill in forms for the Maternity allowence (which help from my mum and partner i think ill understand... since having a baby brain im getting confused) My work havent answered me my questions about how long i can have off etc... i dont like to ask as i always feel bad... I dont know when is best to take maternity and what to expect with how long im allowed too...
So i guess my questions to whom ever has been through this....
  • when is best to take maternity... Im due 26th June..
  • How long am i entitled to have off... 32weeks said one website... 52week said another.. all confusing.
i know it all depends on your health, i have been rushed into hospital last week with an infection but other then this the baby is fine and im normally healthy.
If ANYONE has been through this stress before or is going through the same please help... Im getting more n more wound up and destressed over the NOT KNOWING...

Thank you in advance Ladies... From one pregnant lady to another... :hug:

Hi,

I'm not pg so can't advise on a personal level but I work in hr and deal with mat queries all the time, check out direct.gov.uk for info as it gives loads of info on your maternity rights etc.

Good luck

BB xxxx

As said above the best website is direct.giv for info. I think smp and MA are paid or up to 39 weeks, but u are entitled to take up to 52 weeks, the rest being un paid.

Re leaving work my last shift is 14th may when I will be 32 weeks, I'm a cleaner so don't hunk I coul keep up with the workload longer than that. I would stay longer if I had a less physical job. Xx

SMP and MA are paid for 39 weeks. But you're entitled to 52 weeks off with the last bit unpaid. I'm leaving work at 36 weeks because I work with children and after then it'll be impossible to do my job. x

Thank you ladies for all your help and advice... i will look on directgov and read some more... i work as a PA n receptionist so although i have an office job my work load is never simple and i cant always get to sit down... i might stick it out till the last minute to get longer off with my baby boy when he comes...

Thanks xx

As the ladies above said thats what were entitled to have off.

As for taking it it's how you feel in yourself.

Offically i want to start my maternity on 30th July but i'm taking 2 weeks holiday from the 16th July so i dont run into my maternity leave

x

As everyone else has said with the leave and stuff. Im gonna have to apply for MA too, but finding it all a bit confusing!
Regarding the time off, its entirely how u feel ull be able to cope in ur work really. Im a support worker for disabled adults and so my jobs different all the time. I decided to start my maternity at 37 weeks, purely because I wanted to leave it as long as possible to have more time with baby after. Also, I figured that if Im struggling, I can always bring the date forward, but if I felt fine I wouldnt be able to push it back really, so I opted for a later date for more flexibility, if u see what I mean? I think I probably explained that a bit weirdly, sorry lol
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Once again thank you ladies. I have sorted my Maternity out, well i have wrote them a letter with my Mat B1 form and i have requested for the full 52weeks off that im entitled too.. if i want to go back earlier i only have to give them 8weeks notice... if i want to go back at all this is. I have opted to stay at work for as long as i can. So i will be starting my Maternity on the 4th June which gives me 2half weeks before my Little man arrives, but i have put in my letter that incase of Health reasons this may be taken earlier from the doctors advise. With regards to the MA form. im confused. so i filled in the bits i needed to online and printed it off. I think i may have to phone them and see what they say if they can help me over the phone. All these forms... Maybe they should look into someone doing them for you so the stress is taken away. or make you fill them out at the begining not the end. Haha. Thats my moan fest for the day.

Hope all you ladies are enjoying the weather and some of the bigger bumps arent finding it too hot!! xxx

Dont forget you have all of your annual leave to take too, you are entitled to your full AL entitlement.

If I dont use all mine before mat leave I'll lose it!

Thanks Charliebear, I have handed the letter in and when i have my meeting to see if its even been approved i will say i would like to take my holiday for this amount of time, etc..

Thanks. Hope you're well?! xxx

Personal preference as to how long you take off.
I'm at uni and can have anywhere upto a year off. One girl went back after 4 weeks!!! (I hear that with her second pregnancy she has decided on 6 months...) I will have 6 months off, and return in March (baby due in August)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back