Working - on the road up to 35 weeks - a good or bad idea ?

Naterjack

Reaction score
I started my job a year ago now, its very involved and i work from home a lot of the time but have to visit clients every month probably one per week. I love my work and am very very busy most of the time.

As it is such an involved job and i cant imagine taking a whole 52 weeks off for mat leave, i am taking only 10 full weeks off, then returning part time on about 3 hours per day working from home which should be ok and certainly helps with the money side of things

However I just got my list of clients to visit for the next 3 months (each about 100-150 miles away) and i have 7 to do, so one per week would bring me up to 35 weeks. 3 of them i can do in one week and stay overnight in a hotel but at just under 29 weeks i am starting to find myself getting tired out more.
Last week i had an all day meeting and dinner which went on from 9am - 10pm and i could hardly get myself out of bed the next day.

I am keeping fit enough - walking up 6 flights of stairs to my top floor flat a few times per day helps that, and i dont mind keeping driving as it gets me out and about, but my belly is only about an inch from the bottom of the steering wheel and i am finding myself getting more and more nervous when out and about.

My question is ..... if you were in my position, would you carry on regardless and just take more time over things and rest when you need to ? Am i mad in carrying on with my travelling up until 30 odd weeks of pregnancy ?
Have any of you done this in the past ?

Again i feel fit enough in myself and all is well with my body, i do suffer with some back ache when doing much walking but thats about my only niggle at the moment - but could i harm my baby boy by doing so much ?
I think i was just a bit shocked to get a list of clients to go when i am so close to baby time :(

Is there any way you can drop the amount of clients, or your working hours? I got more and more tired over the weeks and have had to give up work three weeks early purely for the fact my back pain is so bad.. You are not not gonna harm your little one, but remember to take your own health into consideration..and if you feel relativley good, then theres no reason you should have to give it up. :hug: :hug:

all i'd say is, see how u feel.. dont commit yourself to somethin you might not be able too..

i'm 36weeks, and starting to slow down now.. just started mat leave, and enjoying my naps in afternoon, but i'm still very active, shopping, lifting me OH to work and bk (15 miles each way.. 60 miles a day)

but i'm enjoying not having work commitments, but i know i could still work abit longer.. but its nice to have some deserved me time to sit on here all day and shop online (hehe)

just take it easy when your body tells you too.. dont over do yourself to be too tired... and be honest with yourself, stop when you need to..

but in my opionion, do what you enjoy doing, and if thats work :shock: hehe then go for it xxx

The only thing i can go by is that i sometimes take my son to work which is a 20 mile round trip and if baby is awake it sometimes kicks quite hard on certain bumpy roads and im finding it increasingly uncomfortable so have to be careful sometimes that it doesnt distract my driving.
I would say carry on untill you feel it to much however please just be careful and put safety first for both of you.
Apart from that i think you are superwoman to carry on that long as i know i couldnt do it :clap:

Thanks guys
Well ive just booked 5/7 of my clients in for this month so most of them should be done. The last 2 i will book for start of November but as they are not too far from a colleague of mine i know he could cover for me if need be. But i cant imagine staying in for days and days either (i spent Saturday in the house tidying, etc and my god i was climbing the walls to get out)

A couple of the top level guys at work are very good to me and ring to ask how i am and tell me i must take time off if i need it so i know they understand. I just don't want to let them down i suppose
It IS sad that i enjoy work isnt it, but thats half the battle with work and its MUCH easier if you enjoy it 8) :lol:

I would go with the other girls and say if you can still do then do so..... I've been carrying on pretty much as normal and been on the go non stop playing carer to my grandparents who have both recently come out of hospital.

I was managing perfectly fine until I hit 34 weeks.........from then on it's been ruddy hard work. By lunchtime I'm shattered and I've had to leave them in the hands of other people in the afternoons so I can come home for a sleep.

For me it's been the increasing size and weight of the baby that makes the days hard work and the sleepless nights that just makes me feel soooooo tired. If you can do it then do so but listen to your body when it tells you to slow down a bit :hug:

I worked upto 14 days before due date, and they were shipping me out the office to other dealerships 35 miles away. I didn't mind working that long as i felt it was for me, but i could sleep as soon as i got home! I'd have a good couple of hours on the settee before bed!
It's gonna be a case of see how you feel really. It can be tiring.

i dont think its a good idea that your belly is only an inch away from the steering wheel already hun i would see how you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back