Work rant :(

LaurenMM

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Anyone else find they're starting to lose patience and motivation at their jobs? I work in a Holland + Barrett store and I swear I'm this close to telling our customers to do one. We have a fairly old lady who comes in regularly (fairly old but there's absolutely nothing wrong with her), she doesn't bother to look for stuff she just comes in, stand at the till point and reels off a long list, half the time if she's asking for pills she doesn't know what strength or how many she wants so we have to run bottles up and down the store for her. Seriously she has me and another colleague running around after like her personal slaves. This particular colleague happens to be heavily pregnant (in fact this lady knows we are both pregnant) yet she still has us running around the shop for her like she's flippin royalty. I had another woman come in yesterday who had me up and down on the ladders searching through cupboards for her because she didn't know what she wanted!! I know this is normal when you work in a shop and yes it is part of my job to give them what they want etc etc it just annoys me because it's getting pretty obvious that I'm expecting now and people are just so lazy and expect us to do literally everything for them just because they're getting on a bit. Just really winds me up :( lol sorry just needed to vent :p xxx

My job drives me mad at the best of times. I work in a golf club, just me and my boss in the office and she's let's just say very particular! Already kicking a fuss up every time I have a mat appt and I have no way of getting a break away from her and no other colleagues to moan too lol!

Feel for you love!! Just think only a matter of months left!!

Aww bless :( doesn't sound good hun. At least I can be grateful for the fact my boss is cool with stuff like that!! They don't really have a choice. Just really annoys me when people come in with no disabilities or anything like that n expect us to be their slaves!! I don't mind it at all when they can't find something or need advice because that's what I am there for. It's when they come in and demand loads of stuff and just watch us filling up heavy baskets and running round for them without even looking for it themselves in the first place. I like to think I do my job well in terms of offering advice and helping them - those are my duties but my duties dont include being a personal slave to lazy people :( xx

Sweetheart, I know exactly what you mean. I work in a chocolate shop, and even though we're only a small shop our customers constantly expect us to run around for them rather than get products themselves, d'rrives me mad. I get more annoyed with one of my colleagues though, I worked with her the other day and she had me running up and down the stairs and bringing boxes down over and over, eventually I had to tell her I'm not doing any more as it's dangerous. Tbh I'm considering telling my manager I can only do my contracted 4 hours a week, when I doing any more than that they all run me ragged and take the piss.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this hun, hope it gets better for you soon xxx

Tbh I'm considering telling my manager I can only do my contracted 4 hours a week, when I doing any more than that they all run me ragged and take the piss.

That's well out of line!! Luckily it's just the customers I have to deal with as my manager and my co-workers are brill. Just really bugs as no matter what condition I'm in I would never just waltz into a shop and expect people to fall over themselves and wait on me just because I am pregnant or whatever. We do have some customers come in who genuinely have problems walking etc, with them I really don't mind just the people who literally can't be bothered to do anything themselves!! I'm leaving on maternity at the end of September so only 3 whole months left and I'm gone. I do love working there and I don't show any attitude when I do stuff like this I just grin and bear it but it does bug me and it's not fair :( xx

I know, I keep it to myself when I'm working too but sometimes you gotta let it out hun! x

Lol I know it sucks :p Phew feel better now, thanks hun. I hope ur work environment improves!!! xx

Aw, thanks babe, I'll be fine. I'm working today but luckily with a nice staff member who lets me sit down and munch on choccies, lol. Hope yours gets better too xxx

What I don't understand is why people treat shop staff like that!

I used to be a waitress and I was treated like something that was on the bottom of the customers shoes!!

Yeah people are so rude sometimes and they're attitude stinks. I honestly don't know where some peoples manners have gone. Even little things like when I say "would you like a bag" all I get is a sharp "no" rather than no THANKS! Really irritates me - it's not hard to be polite. And because I moved to Ireland some of them are so rude simply because I'm English, I'm never difficult with them because I don't find Irish accents hard to understand. My accent isn't hard to understand but some of them look at me like I'm speaking Dutch or something argh!!! xx

Hi my names Rachael and i've only joined today :)
Just wanted to say I totally feel for you! Working in retail is the suckiest thing ever!!! I work in a mobile phone shop and it seems to be the other way round for me, not the customers giving me grief but the manager instead has me running around like a headless chicken! Get moaned at about targets all day long and get told i'm not giving customers a very good shopping experience because i look ill! (I've had terrible morning sickness). Am considering putting in a complaint to HR but am a little worried about making things worse.
Sigghhh CANNOT WAIT FOR MATERNITY LEAVE!!!
Hope it gets better for you soon xx

Hey Rachael,

Firslty, congrats on your pregnancy :D and welcome to PF :D Literally just read your post about your manager treating you like crap. Well out of line. Like one of the other girls said; you are pregnant, you have rights. Luckily my manager and co-workers are lovely but if they weren't I'd definitely make a complaint. I understand how you feel about it making it worse or even being scared to make a complaint, but he's just gonna continue making you feel terrible because he thinks he can get away with it. Being pregnant is so difficult and stressful and makes you really vulnerable I think and it looks like he's playing off that :( I think you should keep a record of times/dates and exactly what he says to you and how he says it to you (ie does he pull you to one side or does he diss you in front of customers) and include it in the complain to HR. I had to do in one of my jobs and because it was an office I felt very scared to because I though he'd go mad if he knew I'd made the complaint, but I literally couldnt carry on with being abused every day. After I made the complaint, he realised he didn't have a leg to stand as it's considered bullying and companies get sued for this kinda thing all the time - so he changed his attitude pretty sharpish after that. Hope this helps hun xxxx

Sorry to hear that your customers are giving you so much grief. Must be really difficult to stay polite and not hit them over the head with their shopping basket...

My job majorly sucks, too. What I have done to help myself get through it is made a "working day eater", i.e. a strip of paper with the numbers of days that I still have to work written on them, each in an extra square. And every time I come back from work I cut off a square. It is so nice to see the thing become shorter and shorter! I've only done it up to the end of August, when I'm going for holidays, though, otherwise it would have looked to long and disheartening. After that, I'll make another one until the time I go on mat leave. Such a feeling of satisfaction to cut off a square after a really shitty day at work!

Lol it's so funny you should say that, I made a list of how many days I've got left at work before maternity :p slowing decreasing :D XX

How crap that so many of us are having such a terrible time at work. :(

I'm talking to my manager about cutting my hours on thursday, and I've seen what she does when staff try to stand up to her, she subtly threatens to sack you. So I'm going in calm, collected and going to explain that if she wants to sack me that's fine, but I will be taking it further. If I have to, I'll mention the fact that my doctor has told me he will sign me off work for depression if the stress continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back