Wish everyone would leave me the fcuk alone!!!

lol you could say that everyone suspecting your preg cos you couldnt drink on antibiotics has made you think that you drink too much and so wanna stop for a while? that will make them feel a bit bad for saying anything lol

Genius :D

I like the antibiotic for 3 month excuse too

Anyone got one for me - I'm generally teetotal but a few weeks ago (before i knew i was pregnant) i was drinking cherry brandy and a friend of mine said he'd bring some along this weekend - we're living in each other's pockets in a small scout camp for 4 days so they will be able to tell i'm not on medication (lying would arose suspicion) - anyone got any good non-medication-related excuses?

Ok i still don't get it can't you all just say that you didn't fancy a drink tonight and that you will go for a coffee tea, juice, cola whatever????? Is that so so weird and impossible to happen lol???

Ok i still don't get it can't you all just say that you didn't fancy a drink tonight and that you will go for a coffee tea, juice, cola whatever????? Is that so so weird and impossible to happen lol???

When people know you tend to drink socially, that excuse arouses suspicion.

Another one that worked for me was I said I had been drinking the night before and was hungover so really didn't want to drink :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

As Jay Jay says as I am a social drinker [and my family know we were pregnant last year] people would just know.

If I was seeing people for lunch or on a Tuesday night then no-one would bat an eyelid about me not drinking but it's a party on a Saturday evening when I normally would have a drink or two?

Sorry if I am not explaning it well? :shock:

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Aww do you not drive hun? I've just been taking my car everywhere and telling people we're a bit skint and trying to save money on taxi fares!

The gastritis excuse is a good one, I had that a few years ago and the doctor does actually advise no alcohol along with no fatty/spicy foods. I tried drinking one night when I had it and it gave me such a bad stomach that it put me off drinking for months afterwards, think it irritates the stomach lining. Of course if you used that excuse you might not be able to pig out on the party food and have to stick to fairly plain stuff!

I agree it is awful when you feel like you have to justify yourself! I'm sure your family mean well but if its something out of character for you then they will pick up on it. Its a shame they can't keep their suspicions to themselves though! I'm sure the 2 ladies in my office have noticed somethings up because I've completely stopped drinking my usual 5 cups of tea a day (it makes me sick)... But at least they've been polite enough to not say anything, although I'm sure when I announce it they will go 'we knew it!'

Have a lovely time anyway hun I hope you manage to get away with it xxx

Well that must be a regional thing really because here I you drink 100 nights on a row and the 101 you say you will have only a juice nobody will actually even notice lol.
Carnat if they know you TTC maybe you just tell hem you try to be on the healthy side ?

Also btw I am pretty sure that 1/2 a glass of wine will be Just fine if you ca nt find any other excuse lol

I HATE how in this country you are just EXPECTED to drink!! It annoys me so much. And when they see you aren't drinking, they make a big thing out of it and have to know why. Go away!!!!

Driving is a good excuse, cystitis is another I've used. Going for a urine test in the morning for UTI so cant drink??? On a detox?? On weight watchers??? Kidney infection?? Migraine? On antihistamines for hay fever??

Or.........PISS OFF - NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!! xx

Lol Cos have you done this before? ;) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, this is my 4th time, I'm becoming quite a seasoned liar when it comes to alcohol :) xx

Hi hun

Families can be difficult to contend with, and it's tough trying to come up with an airtight excuse!

Do you drive at all? Could say you and oh flipped a coin and you have to drive while he can drink. Either that or you've given alcohol up for lent? Ooh, or you could be "hungover" from the night before? Xxxx

Nope don't drive ladies!! So can't use that :shock:

Also my Dad is meant to be dropping me for a consultation at a dental hospital early next week and I've cancelled the appointment as I can't have the work done whilst preggers.

So another thing I have to wangle out of.

This is the downside of living 2 minutes away from my folks and emailing my Mum every single day - she knows all of my business :lol:

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
well you say bloody dental hospital cancelled on you and rearranged for so many months away, they do that often enough anyway lol. id have shandy or something, after all u can buy bottles of it for kids so if u have to have something then that shouldnt be an issue. id still make them think theyre giving you a complex about it as guilt makes ppl go quiet at the best of times lol. my mum does the best guilt trips

well you say bloody dental hospital cancelled on you and rearranged for so many months away, they do that often enough anyway lol. id have shandy or something, after all u can buy bottles of it for kids so if u have to have something then that shouldnt be an issue. id still make them think theyre giving you a complex about it as guilt makes ppl go quiet at the best of times lol. my mum does the best guilt trips

Thanks Bev, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply (especially as I am essentially moaning about nothing !!)

No-one means any harm and I do get on well with my family, I just also like my own space and it seems you can't have both [a big family who live close by and your own personal space LOL]

If it was not for this party I'd have no issues at all... But it's the third time in a few weeks, I am at a "party" at the weekend and not drinking :shock:

xxxxxxxx

i know what its like hun, my mum lives down the road and my brother lives next door and they pop in unexpectedly. my brother keeps walking in on me breastfeeding lol which im sure wasnt something he wanted to ever see. id tell my mum but thats cos i cant hide anything and i do understand that you dont wanna spill the beans too early so to speak just incase. i hope you can figure it out and that this time you can tell the world your pregnant and it stays that way x

I don't have much else to add but :hugs:

I had the same problem at New Years eve I was in my tww and was working up an excuse to not drink at the family party.

Made up a chest infection (I'm asthmatic so prone to them) and got some old stock of antibiotics :shock:

Apparently 2 doctors, a radiologist and a nurse figured out I was lying (they told me after I announced the pregnancy) but luckily they were kind enough not to say anything!

Just wanted to give more :hugs:

I know a girl who used to order Cranberry Juice in a wine glass. Looks just like Rose, and no one knew otherwise. Maybe try that?
I'm not a huge drinker, so me turning down a drink at the weekend didn't raise any suspicion.

Hope your ok xx

Oh bless you for asking!

I am fine hun, I've had a few days away from the family so feeling a bit more chilled now.

Want to get through my early scan and then I'll think about my excuses for Saturday :lol:

Look at you, just a week to go?? That must be insane??

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back