Windy baby!

TundraOwl

Reaction score
Hey guys, our little angel is a week old today and is a little gem. I have been breastfeeding her and she is doing really well and is putting on weight. I'm finding breastfeeding a joy, slightly sore nipples but the Lansinoh cream is amazing! We have been so lucky with her so far as she has latched on brilliantly from day one, however she seems to be very windy and colicy. We have been giving her Infacol and Colief before each feed and it does make a difference.
Anyone got any tips for windy babys though as I feel so sorry for her, it's a real trauma getting her to burp! :wall2:

I had this with Alice. We tried drops but they didn't always work. To ease her pain I tried gently rubbing her tummy in a clockwise direction. It seemed to comfort her a bit. And rocking her in the pram helped to calm her. Hope that helps a bit x

My son was really windy for a BF baby also. Infacol really really helped, but the midwife told me it takes a few weeks for it to work at its best.

Other than that all you can do is find the way that suits baby best for winding. I used to try all the ways with Oscar. Over the shoulder. Sitting him as upright as possible, one hand gently putting slight pressure on his tummy the other rubbing his back (this one used to work the best). Also, if that way didn't always work do that way first then gently rock him back and forth with one hand still gently putting pressure on belly and one hand holding his back then gently pull him upright and wind used to pop right out of him after that lot lol

If no wind come out after 5 mins, then there probably isn't any and it will come out the other end at some point lol

Check your diet as well, things that make us windy like spicy food, cabbage, beans etc can also pass through to them. I've also heard people have cut dairy out too.
Cycling their legs as well as the clockwise rubbing helps too.

Thanks guys! Will try my diet as well, have cut out dairy so far, how long will I be able to tell if its made a difference?

I would say a couple of days, I always think about how quick alcohol goes in and out of your milk.

Our Lo is quite windy as well, mainly because when she gets hungry she sucks really strongly and usually sucks in quite a bit of air as well. How long do you go trying to wind him?

I usually leave Vanessa for a few minutes after a feed as she's impossible to wind straight after (I think it takes a while for all the little bubbles in her tummy to merge together into something she can burp out). After that time I find that carrying her around in one of those upright baby slings helps alot with getting any gas out. But it still takes lots of time and patience, up to 20 min or more to get anything out of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back