Who to believe!!

Vickyxx

Reaction score
I have been researching two IVF clinics that I have to choose from, according to the HFEA website one has higher success rates then the other, so I thought it was a no brainer!!

However I contact both clinics and asked about their success rates and the one that was showing up with lower success rates on hfea came back to me and said:

[FONT=&quot]"Our pregnancy rates at present are between 30 & 35% depending on age"[/FONT]

BUT .. HFEA has them at: 15.7% - 33.5% most likely around: 23.4%

But what I also noticed is that the information on HFEA is dated:
Live births per treatment cycle started in the year ending 4th quarter 2009!!

So its missing the past 2 years!! So which one is right!! So confused :help:

Its unlikely that we will be able to visit them as hubby cant get time off work this month!! So I have to rely on what information I can get online!!!

Ohhhhhh I should also add that I am one of the MOST indecisive people you will ever meet :roll: which doesnt help!!

Last edited:
Wheni was discussing IVF with my GP she knew about all the clinics and where had the best results, do you know you can get funding to use a private clinicin your area, that's what I would have done and it's what Louise B did, hope that helps..:)

Xx

I don't know about private funding I was just told to pick a clinic from the three they gave me. But to be honest the ones I have been given are fairly close by. I sent another email to the clinic asking about their success rates in comparison to the HFEA website, so will see whay they say xx

Hey. I think livr birth rates and clinical pregnancy rates need to be looked at seperately. Ie the pregnancy rate is 30 to 35 percent which will be defined as a heartbeat at X number of weeks. Live birth rate is the number of actual births. The difference will account for misscarriages and still births. This is how I understand it anyway. X

the data for all clinics is that out of date. it does make it really hard

I took comfort in the fact that any NHS-approved clinic will have had to show it achieved certain standards in order to be accepted onto their books. it's so hard to judge between them, we just went with gut feeling in the end

Personally I would believe the HFEA data. They have no reason for bias, measure all clinics in the same way. Their data will always be from further back because they are measuring live births, which obviously means waiting longer for results, and they collect data and verify it for all the clinics. It's the live birth rate that's important.

Do you know anyone who has had treatment at the clinics? As well as comparing the rates it would be nice to know about people's experiences there. Being comfortable at a clinic is really important.

Which clinics are you deciding between? I'll have a look.

Not much is going to change in 2/3 years unless they have a total staff overhaul or suddenly find a few hundred thousand on updating their equipment...

Last edited:
Which clinics are you deciding between? I'll have a look.

Thank you soooo much Lou you are awesome, that will be so helpful!!! :friends:

South East Fertility Clinic (SEFC) - Tunbridge Wells

BMI The Chaucer Hospital - Canterbury

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Last edited:
Sorry, not been online but will look first thing tomorrow xx

If it was me choosing a clinic then I'd go for SEFC I think - I prefer the look of it and it's specifically a fertility clinic.

At the end of the day your treatment should turn out exactly the same at any clinic unless you have special circumstances. You won't know if they were incompetent until you can review the stats of your own cycle so just go with your preference :)

Most people don't get pregnant on their first cycle and you can always be referred to somewhere else if you aren't happy with how they treated you. Go with your gut xx

Awww Lou you are the best :love:

I originally thought the exact same thing about SEFC, but then I got all confused looking at statistics and percentages that my judgement went all fuzzy :rolleyes:

My original gut instinct was to go with SEFC so I am going to stick with that!!

Ok thats it no more changing my mind!! :shakehead:

Thanks hun, I have filled out my paperwork so I can't change my mind again lol

Yay :good:

How long is the wait for this one? I think I'm ready to go asap once the Belgium trip next week is over with but don't know when we're going to actually start, it would be so cool to have you as a buddy :)

July or August at a guess, referral will be sent off end of this month (I hope) around 3 weeks for first appointment and then a couple of months to start treatment. All our tests are up to date so shouldn't have to do any more so can't see any reason why we cant start straight away.

Would be great if we are cycle buddies xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back