Which bottle/teat to combine breastfeeding??

Sunnyb

Reaction score
I plan to breastfeed once bubs arrives, but with Joseph I breastfed exclusively & it caused so many problems trying to get him to take from a bottle when I needed to leave him for longer periods of time (he fed every 2 hours so was very tying.)
What I'm looking to do this time around is combine breast & expressed milk via a bottle. Which teats mimic the breast suction the best? I've heard of Medela Calma, some people say they're excellent, others say the teat seems too long & their babies gag on it. Any input on this would be really appreciated, as I'm looking to buy my bottles etc in the next 2 weeks or so. If anyone could give me advice on decent breast pumps too that'd be even better - electric or handheld?

Thanks again in advance.

Sunnyb xxx

When I was breastfeeding, I used tommee tippee closer to nature bottles when I expressed and he had no problem with them and no problem going back on the boob. I combined from 4 weeks so OH could do some night feeds. I used a tommee tippee manual pump, it was fine, but my hand hurt after a while, I will opt for an electric pump next time xxx

Last edited:
I have the tommy tippee closer to nature bottles and Ella took them ok but on scbu advice tried a cow and gate straight teat which just goes on any old fashioned straight bottle and she took that even better. I do however p,an to go back to my tt ones at some point.

I've got the medela swing electric pump and it has been fab as its v similar to the one I learnt to use in scbu. A bit pricy but worth it in my view. Think I saw someone selling one in the classifieds xx

Last edited:
Same here I breastfed and used tommee tippee bottles and he's taken well to them.

I use the Medela Calma and love it. When Lizzie used to have a normal teat she'd then not feed particularly well off the breast for the next feed, but with the Calma I haven't had any problems. My mum looked after Lizzie for a whole weekend using it and when I got back Sunday she went straight back to the breast perfectly :)

Having said that, I think it's probably only successful in babies over about 3 months, she used to gag on dummies when she was really little so it's quite likely she wouldn't have taken to it at an earlier age because of the long teat.

Im topping Matilda up with bottles too and have Tommy Tippee closer to nature bottles with slow flow teats and she takes both bottle and breast feeds no problem...have the TT electric pump too which I express into the Tt bottles its really easy and convenient xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back