Where the hell do I start?

SaraLouise

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of moving & H to formula once he reaches 3 months but I literally have no clue about any of it. He has one ff a night from a ready made carton & takes around 3.5oz.

A few major questions really...

How do I go about stopping bfing? As in, do I just stop completely and express off just enough to feel comfy or do I cut down over a week?

How do you go about making bottles up? I feed on demand atm but I've read that you need to leave the kettle for 30 mins so how are you suppose to feed on demand?

What do you do about bottles when you are out?

How long to bottles last once made up?

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now but ill start with these!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

Hi Hun can't comment on the bf question but as for the others...

In the early days when my lo fed on demand I would boil the kettle first thing in the morning, wait for 30mins then put it in a flask. That way I always had correct temp water waiting for her so the bacteria would be killed off. This is the recommended way of doing things "making up fresh".

When out and about I would just take the flask out with me and pre measured tubs of powder.

Once a bottle is made up it needs to be used within 2 hours.

Hope this helps x

Hi Sara I expressed for 6 weeks and was in the same boat as you wondering where to start. I see Diane has given you the info on making up bottles, which is great...I will be taking note of what she says too as I haven't a clue. The reason being, I bought a tomee tippee formula maker, but if it ever broke I need to know what to do! The tomee tippe maker is awesome and you make a fresh bottle in under 2 mins. I take cartons out with me, but I will be taking note of what Diane says too as it can be expensive. My Lo has cartons cold, so heating isn't an issue.I stopped expressing and the first 48 hours were awful. My boobs were sooooo painful and like rocks and I generally felt unwell but just took strong painkillers. All felt ok after 48 hours.

Last edited:
Right missy :) dont stress! Kts easier than it looks!
I flapped te day i decided to stop BF and had NO clue what to do!!

This is how i do it, but everyone has their own ways!
The tubs will aay make each bottle up fresh, impossible when u ur baby doesnt have a pattern and they have to put that on the tub so ppl dnt complain and blane them if baby had an upset stomach etc..

I have 12 bottles (u dnt need that many, i started with 6 TT, its only cos i changed to DBs n not use both) i boil the kettle and leave for about 15mins then fill all bottles up with 4oz and put lids on and leave on the side. When its due a feed and crying for a bottle i flick kettle on, only boiled i add 2oz of boiled water to the 4oz (thats cooled by then) the temp is normally perfect or may need a min under cold tap, i add 6 scoops of formula shake and done!!

I used to store them in the fridge and then put in TT bottle warmer then add formula but that took about 5/10mins to heat up cos of how cold the water was in the fridge, so i find room temp good and the 2oz boiling is perfect.
For bed i bring up my TT flask of boiled water and add the 2oz like that again takes minute to make. Same if we r going out i bring flask or ready made cartons Happy none screaming baby!

Bottles and water stay sterlised for 24hrs.
Dnt leave it till ur on ur last bottle to wash them up if ur only getting 6. Wash 4 and leave 2 ready as ur not sure of his drinking pattern on formula.

I just stopped BFing, which is perfectly find (advised by my MW & HV) u can express as much as u want before u decideto stop and let him have EM and FM throughout the day or jut stop and give FM either is fine hun.

Any of Qs just inbox me on FB hun! Xxxx

Last edited:
As long as the water is 70 degrees when you add the formula it should kill any bacteria in the powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back