When to potty train?

BEX101

Reaction score
Hi, my daughter is 2 1/2 and we havent started potty training yet. I had baby number 2 5 months ago and i knew i was going to have a c-section so it would be hard to be picking a toddler up (o and off potties) I'm now pretty much recovered and thinking of starting.

When did you start with your kids? What signs do they give off to show they are ready? Any pointers?

Thanks - Rebecca

There is a few signs to let you know when they are ready like,

Not liking it when they are wet or dirty
Staying dry for around 2 hours
Telling you when they have wet/dirty
Showing interest in their bodily functions
Being able to pull their own trousers up and down (this one I dont like, mine couldnt do their own trousers but they still trained well )

My first son was fully day trained by 2.5 years, he was a bed wetter so he was in night pull-ups for a long time.
My second son was Day and night trained by 23 months.

We just let our boys lead the way, when they where ready to train they let us know, with Dec he just took his nappy of one day (he was 21months) and peed in the potty and that was him, he pretty much trained himself :).

Just let her take the lead, talk to her about the potty, explain what it is for and see how she goes, dont push her and give her lots and lots of praise, even if she just sits on the potty and does nothing.

Hope this helps you xx

This is a good thread.

I have a 13 month old so will be trying this at some point this year and haven't a clue what to do!! My friends have mostly had theirs dry during the daytime by 2 years (maybe slightly longer). I'll be reading this eagerly for advice too!!

How long does it normally take once you start for LO's to get it?

I started my daughter at just over a yr as she used to take her nappy off herself and it worked for about a week so i left her with nappys and then when she was about 2 i tried again and she took to it practically straight away and at about 3 1/4 she started going through the night without a nappy :) x

Wow you tried at one?

My LO is no where near ready yet, she wouldn't have a flamin clue what was going on, I dread to think of the outcome :rofl:

Well done on being dry at 3.5 yrs - thats great.

Thanks for the advice. We're off to see the family for most of next week so i might start trying after all thats over. I'll keep everyone posted!

This is a good thread.

I have a 13 month old so will be trying this at some point this year and haven't a clue what to do!! My friends have mostly had theirs dry during the daytime by 2 years (maybe slightly longer). I'll be reading this eagerly for advice too!!

How long does it normally take once you start for LO's to get it?

Dec was pretty much dry all day with no accidents within 3 weeks :)
Then he started to refuse the night nappy but we thought 21 months was far to young to not wear a nappy at night so we insisted he wore it, then one night he took an almighty temper tantrum because he didnt want the night nappy so we let him go without one ( he was 23 months) and he hasnt wore a nappy since :) so I would say 2-3 months for us.

I know some people say it can take 1-2 years to have them dry all the time day and night. My oldest was a bed wetter and he was in a night nappy/pull-up un til he was 5-6 years old even though he was dry all day by 2.5 years :)

Last edited:
With first, at 2 years I just decided: Now's the time. A few weeks later and bribery with jelly beans, she was dry, although she wore a nappy in bed for ages.

with no 2. she was dry, all by her own doing by about 18 months, nights too. Couldn't believe it. I only realised cos a couple of times during the day I put her down for a nap after she had fallen asleep on me with no nappt, expecting the worst, but she never wet once :-O

excellent thread!
i started when LO was 2. although i did try before hand,but she showed no interest. i think it toke about 1 month, for her to get it.
she still wears nappies during the night though - i did want to get those dry nights, but the pack says 4- 6 years old!
how do you get a child to hold it untill the morning? or are they meant to get up and use the potty?
xxx

sorry forgot to add, i know she was ready because she didn't like to be dirty, she was pulling down her clothes and telling me she needs to go to the loo ! xx

excellent thread!
i started when LO was 2. although i did try before hand,but she showed no interest. i think it toke about 1 month, for her to get it.
she still wears nappies during the night though - i did want to get those dry nights, but the pack says 4- 6 years old!
how do you get a child to hold it untill the morning? or are they meant to get up and use the potty?
xxx

At night time I started by lifting Dec twice a night and making him go pee-pee, then after about 1-2 months I only lifted him once a night (when I was going to bed) and done that for another month now he goes all night, but if he needs to go he will wake and go :) Dont get me wrong we still have the odd accident but at the end of the day he isnt even 2 1/2 yet so its to be expected. Just be prepared for accidents and I think you are advised not to start night training until they have had a full dry week or 2. :)

Some great advise there - thanks girls.

I don't think Evie will be ready to try for a while yet but when she is it's good to know they pick it up so quickly xx

We started a month ago! Maley wasnt showing any signs of being ready as such but we wanted her to try and get used to the potty. At home we use cloth nappies and alot of the time she is nappyless or wears knickers at home. We started off just sitting her on it about half an hour after breakfast, lunch and dinner with a biscuit.......and when she did a wee we make a fuss! She hasnt pooed yet on it though! She knows what she is sitting on it for although she doesnt know she is going to wee if that makes sense. We have noticed signs though for examply she goes a bit stiff and looks between her legs so if we see her doing that we quickly sit her on the potty (she doesnt hardly wear a nappy when we are at home), she just wears knickers. Figured we wanted to get her used to the potty first rather than suddenly sitting her on it and expecting her to wee!

The last few weeks though, she has started to sit on it voluntarily!

excellent thread!
xxx

At night time I started by lifting Dec twice a night and making him go pee-pee, then after about 1-2 months I only lifted him once a night (when I was going to bed) and done that for another month now he goes all night, but if he needs to go he will wake and go :) Dont get me wrong we still have the odd accident but at the end of the day he isnt even 2 1/2 yet so its to be expected. Just be prepared for accidents and I think you are advised not to start night training until they have had a full dry week or 2. :)

thanks for that hun, did Dec get annoyed, when you got him up ? xx

Last edited:
excellent thread!
xxx

thanks for that hun, did Dec get annoyed, when you got him up ? xx

No, I think he may have been aware that he needed to go, sometimes when I lifted him he would say "pee-pee mummy". He was always back to sleep by the time I carried him back to his room :)

My son has done potty ok at the daycare, but refuses to go at home. It seems now, that we are going (at home) straight from diapers to learnin the loo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back