When should i expect a call?

charlie84

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope someone can help. I rang my doctors a couple of weeks ago when i found out i was pregnant. I was told by the receptionist that if i had got a positive on a home pregnancy test i wouldnt have to come see the doctor, and that she would put me down for the midwife. She then told me to expect a call from the midwife and that by then i would have to have chosen a doctor for my care. I honestly dont know who to choose as i have no idea of what any of the doctors are like at my clinic.
Anyways i am still waiting for the midwife to ring me. Shall i ring them back or wait patiently.

This is my first baby and i have no clue of what to expect with the heathcare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie x

it all seems to vary quite wildly depending on what health authority you're under... how far gone are you? and have you been given a scan date yet?

i went to see my gp and she said the same - that home tests are accurate enough that they didn't need to do another. she then got me to select my hospital for giving birth in there and then, and said she would arrange my 12 week scan and that the midwives would be in touch.

i had my scan confirmation date through about 3 weeks later, and the midwife called the following day.

hope you hear something soon :)

Thanks purple13,

I heard it varies as to where you live. My due date at the mo is my guess from using the first day of last period, and i have not had a scan date through yet. Basically havent heard anything since i called them.

I know they dont usually arrange things too early, i just wondered when i should expect a call. I am so impatient i know. :roll:

Hi Charlie84

I took a home test that confirmed I was pregnant but I went ahead and made an appointment at the doctors anyway because its my first and I was nervous, like you. Even though he didn't do another test, he did give me lots of good advice and answered my and DH's questions, even the ones I though were a bit silly (like, can I still eat chocolate?!!:rotfl:). He really put me at ease and booked me an appointent to see the midwife and filled in a form for free prescriptions for me to.

I think if you feel you want to you should go to see your GP anyway, for peace of mind and at the same time get the ball rolling with the midwives.

I didn't really know any of the doctors at the surgery as I am relatively new to the area so I asked around (my m-in-l knew them all!) and chose one who had been there a long time and was non-alarmist.:D

Good luck!

pesonally i would ring the gp again and ask the receptioist to chk u have been refured. wont hurt.. most mws like to see u around 8-9 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back