When is it usual to start ordering / buying baby equipment?

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Julia, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

I am nearly 22 weeks pregnant and feeling GREAT! I just wondered how long people leave it to buy all the equipment needed (pram, cot etc). I have heard different views - some say leave it until a couple of weeks before, others say a couple of months before. I think it is sensible to be prepared just in case the baby lands early...what do others think - what have others done?

2. nicki

nicki Well-Known Member

Hi Julia,

Glad to hear you're feeling great.
    My DH and I have said we will start seriously looking in January, mainly to see if anything's in the sales.
    I want to get the nursey done at least a month before the due date (Apr. 15th) and will prob. have it all done way before that, as I finish work at the end of Jan and will want something to do.

I don't think it really matters when you buy stuff, each to their own and there's no right or wrong to do it. I just wouldn't wait until 2 weeks before the due date incase it comes early, I was 6 weeks premature so there's no telling! We'll buy stuff in dribs and drabs.

Nicki.x :D

3. rach

rach Well-Known Member

i got carried away when i found out and started buying the smaller stuff straight away :oops:
    so far
    bath
    changing mat
    play mat
    baby gym
    sterilizer n bottles
    baby box
    bouncy chair
    high chair
    clothes
    baby toiletries
    have put a deposit down on pushchair/car seat
    ex's mum buying cotbed

so all i need to buy now is monitors, bedding, and decorate nursery and choose and buy a crib
    the high chair, bouncy chair, play mat and baby gym were all matching winnie the pooh which i got for 70 pound for the lot from price drop tv and couldnt leave it there at that price :D
    just hope now i got all this stuff nothing goes wrong xxxxxx

4. K X

K X Well-Known Member

I bought a few things b4 3 months, but once I had that all important scan and all was ok, I went mad. Have everything in now apart from monitors. It's a great feeling buying for a baby! :lol:

5. Guest

I bought a couple of bits so far like clothing, and my parents bought us the cot. Already had a crib (was mine when I was born!).
    Still to buy pram, car seat, crib bedding, more clothes, nappies, feeding bra's, etc. Haven't bought it all yet due to money though, not because I believe it should be done by a certain time.
    I had hoped to be ready by 7 months incase little one came early, but I've been told I'm high risk of prem labour and I'm still not ready :lol: