• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

when did you start weaning?

annem

Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering at what age did you start weaning your LO?

I know nothing about feeding babies so trying to get a little more clued up!

Jake isnt weaned yet but they recommend 6 months. You can get baby rice, jars and puddings suitable for 4 months +. I geuss it just depends on how you and baby get on

I did Jessica at 18 weeks
Aimee at 16 weeks
Nathan at 22 weeks. As you can see it totally depends on each baby :D

I weaned Thea at 6 months but thats because i used the baby led weaning method which recommends you wait that long.

millie is 19 weeks old and we've been feeding her a couple of spoonfuls of baby rice or fruit puree for 2 weeks now. was gonna wait til 6 months but shes a fast developer and has started waking more in the nite
also she wont take a bottle and i want her 2 b less dependent on me- i gotta go back 2 work in feb :)()

I think it's best to wait until 6 months if your baby is ok on milk until then but if not you can start weaning as early as 4 months. I started weaning Jake at 5 1/2 months :D

The general advuce is to wait till 6 months but it tends to depend how hungry your baby is and when they show signs for weaning.

Dylan started weaning at 17 weeks but if he was happy would of waited till 6 months

Like others have said, its more when LO wants weaning, not when Mummy wants, but sometimes a combination.
Isaac has a few spoonfuls of pureed fruit or veg here and there and he enjoys it, until he asks for more, we'll stick with that for now :)

I also heard the rumour that the 6 month mark is recommended by the world health organisation, more for women from poorer countries as unlike us, they don't have access to as clean water, and so their LO's do better to be breastfed as long as possible.
Don't know how true that is :?

I weaned jack at 13 weeks, i had changed his milk so many times at the advice of the health visitor but nothing stopped jack from being hungry. eventually i took the desicion myself to wean him, best thing i did he was so much happier , all babies are different and not all can wait til 6 months.

Redshoes said:

I also heard the rumour that the 6 month mark is recommended by the world health organisation, more for women from poorer countries as unlike us, they don't have access to as clean water, and so their LO's do better to be breastfed as long as possible.
Don't know how true that is :?

Thats what I was told at the weaning workshop we did at my GPs. They said that anytime after 17 weeks was fine.

I had to start early, as i had to go back to work when Ani was 16 wks, and we are struggling - i think she would be happier if she could just b/f, but it just isnt an option - in any case we muddle along. Each baby is different

Lisa

I started giving Austin solids at 19 weeks but didn't drop his milk feeds so it was more a game than anything. He wasn't really hungry but used to try to grab food from our plates & was so interested in food I thought I'd let him have a go. When we first started he was just having bits of fruit, rice cakes & rusks, then I started giving him purees in the evening with a rice cake so he'd feed himself fairly well. When we got to 6 months we started the baby led weaning properly.

we bf exclusively for 6 months.
my daughter didnt show any signs that she wanted food earlier. she had been sleeping through the night, then just before 6 months started waking needing a bf.
in waiting for 6 months, we did find that she went pretty much straight onto finger foods and lumpy textures - none of the messing about with sloppy baby rice and pureeing!

but every baby is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back