what's your nursery's 'setup'? (childcare, not bedroom!!)

leckershell

Reaction score
As the title really.

Ryan's current nursery have:
0-1 baby room
1 (or walking) - 3 "tweenies"
3+ preschool

And that's all the rooms there are, so Ryan plays with all the 3 year olds :|

The new nursery (we're starting on the 1st Dec by the way :)) have:
"baby room"
"toddler room"
2-3
and an intermediate room between toddler and 2-3 (approx 21 months)

This is another reason why we want to move to the new nursery, as the progression seems a lot smoother between rooms, instead of one minute being a baby and the next chucked in with 3 year olds.

Also, do you get daily 'diary' sheets? Ryan used to in the baby room, but doesn't now he's with the 1-3, and nobody seems to be able to tell me when he's slept (and his bag contents seem untouched :? ). But the new nursery do diary sheets up until age 2.

Just seeing what you guys all get from your nursery really between 0-2... I know the new nursery is a better move hence we're doing it, but just to get a consensus really of what's normal? Also for those that work in a nursery :D

Thanks! x

Calleigh has yet to start but her nursery is split into the

Baby Room - Babies
Bugs Room - Toddlers
Busy Bees Room - Pre School age

And as far as it was explained they generally will go on the development of each individual child so if they arent quite ready to move up they wont move them.

I will get a daily diary sheet whilst she is in the baby room, however when she moves up to Bugs there is an info board that parents can check with regards to what your child has been up to in the day and white boards which document nappy changes, naps etc. And monthly the keyworker will send an information sheet home with more details about your child.
In Busy Bees its all on boards again.

Group 1: 4 months - 2 years - split into 2 rooms, one for the pre-walkers, one for the walkers
Group 2: 2-3.5 years - split into 2 groups/rooms depending on ability & age
Group 3: 3 years + - For the Preschool kids, again there are 3 rooms for different activities etc.

If your child is in nursery before 9 then they all start off the day in one room and gradually split off into the separate rooms, the same at the end of the day, they all finish (after 4:30) the day in the same room so they get some contact with other age groups but have their main play with their peers.

We got daily diary sheets when DD was in group1 (up to 2) but they gradually wean you off that when they progress to group2. The great thing I like about the nursery is that it is small enough that there is usually someone who can talk to you about what kind of day your child has had.

Last edited:
4 months till walking - red room
walking till 2 - orange room
2 till 3 - yellow room
3 till 4 - nursery class

Baby Smalls - baby till approx 18 months
Tommy Thumbs - 18 months till approx 2 1/2
Toby Talls - 21/2 up

The baby room is seperate, Tommy Thumbs and Toby Talls are in one big room, seperated by a low wall. This means that they can get used to Toby Talls without feeling overwhelmed. The ages are approx, it goes more on the child and how they are. When they move up, they have a few hours in the new room, then a day and eventially they move up - usually with other children so there is a familiar group. Each time Seren has had a transition it has gone smoothly and she has settled in fine. It is a small nursery so we get to know the staff, and some staff have changed rooms so Seren knows everyone.

We would get a info sheet in Baby Smalls but not in the older groups. Instead the keyworker tells me what they have been doing, whether she has had a sleep (which she doesn't but then she is only there 2 mornings), what she has had for dinner, what activities she has done, what she has said, sang, done, any accidets or bad behaviour, incidents etc etc.I also get weekly emails with photos of Seren at nursery, they are written as if they were from her - so cute (I have kept them all in a folder and will print them off and put in her memory box). And on top of all this she has a memory maker, a book in which her milestones are recorded such as drawing a face, knowing her colours and numbers, sharing with others, going to the toilet by herself etc, and what she has done including some pictures she has done, and more photos. When a book is full we get it, I love looking at her baby one it makes me so proud of her.

My son attends a pretty small neighbourhood nursery - about 20 kids at full capacity - and as such there are only 2 rooms. The babies are kept separately for safety reasons, up until they are walking about competently, but any age after this up to school age all share the same space. They do have separate activites throughout the day though with their relevant keyworkers for their age group, so whilst they all get to play together at times, they also get the relevant educational play for their age. FWIW it works really well, all the kids are very happy and talking to the other parents they all seem very comfortable with their kids progress and general wellbeing. Because of this though, it obviously means a much easier transition for the kids, as they are not suddenly shipped from one place to another, but rather encouraged to join the higher age group activities when relevant.

As for the diary, they will continue to fill in a daily report as long as we wish them to. We have always had one with Tyler, they have never stopped it, but we have been asked a couple of times if we would like it continued. I thought it might be a bit less interesting as he got older, but if anything I find it more useful, as they state EVERYTHING he has done that day so it makes it easier to continue activities at home and encourage the work they do with him. Today for example they were working on their names, so when he is at home in a couple of days time I can go over his name with him and try to further what they have already taught him. Plus they always tell us exactly what he has eaten which I find invaluable so we dont repeat the same food for tea!!

:hug:

the nursery i work at is massive and holds 74 places. there is

baby room 1 (0-1yrs)
baby room 2 (1yr-18months)
tweenies(18months-2yrs)
toddler 1 (2yrs - 2 and a half)
toddler 2 (2 and a half - 3yrs)
pre-school (3yrs to school age)

baby room 1 and 2 are next to each other and they join in the morning for breakfast, lunch and tea and at the end of the day. they also haev a cot room

the tweenies have a play room, sleep room and what we like to call 'mad room' with a ball pit slides, indoor bikes etc its also where all the messy play takes place.

the toddler department has 2 class rooms for toddler 1 and 2, a bathroom/nappy area messy play room, role play room, sleep room and tv/ quiet time room.

preschools massive and i cant explain anymore as kyran is trying to crawl under the bed at this moment.......

Sage said:
the nursery i work at is massive and holds 74 places. there is

baby room 1 (0-1yrs)
baby room 2 (1yr-18months)
tweenies(18months-2yrs)
toddler 1 (2yrs - 2 and a half)
toddler 2 (2 and a half - 3yrs)
pre-school (3yrs to school age)

quote]

pretty much the same as Harrison's nursery

Babies room which is 6 weeks -2.5 but this often gets split in half to non-walkers and walkers then the pre-school room which is 2.5- school age. The walkers spend their time between the messy play room and the baby room

I think its really good like this because the younger babies watch the older ones and Im sure it help their development

We have the baby room that takes them up until 18mths/2yrs

Then the toddler room, up to 3.

And finally the preschool room up until they leave for primary.

The head of the nursery decides if a child is ready to move on whether or not they are are the right age.

It's good, we have a little downs girl in the baby room with Mhairi, so the room has been given another member of staff at the moment to ensure all her needs are met.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back