Whats it like to have 2nd baby soon after your 1st?

nutcase109

Reaction score
Hi there,

My LO is now 5 months ish, and In was thinking Id like to have another soon, as I know I dont want him to be an only child. However, I found being pregnant a nightmare so just wanna get it over and done with so to speak!! Is that a bad idea?

I was thinking when LO is 1yr old we could start trying, which would make them about 2 yrs apart.

I cant imagine being heavily pregnant or having a newborn whilst also looking after toddler - whats it like?

Thanks so much!!!

xxx

it is bloody hard work but i would say very worth it especially when they get older, my eldest 2 have 11 and half months between them which i would say is a little too close but then i had an 18 month gap which was a little easier and my 2 daughters (I have another son inbetween) have a 3 year gap and do alot together :D

i agree with hennaly its hard work but worth it.
i found my last pregnancy the hardest because i was so tired all the time but could not nap because of the others, but id do it all again :)

My children are very close together i was 4 weeks pregnant when my daughter was 1. I foound it hard bending to change nappies in the last tri. And carrying you little 1 up to bed. and pushing the pram witha waddle but i had lots of support you should be fine if you have lots of help. My son has just turned 1 last week and we think we may be pregnant again so their will be the same difference between all mine they are very close now my sons walking and playing more go for it its fun. My daughter loves having a friend lol

It is very hard work! I have an older 1 then have 2 only 13 months apart and it is much harder having them close together but I wouldn't change it now. They are best friends now. One of the advantages I found was my pregnancy flew by and I hardly even noticed it cos I was so busy with Aimee who was still very young. I do feel I've been dealing with naps and dirty nappies forever though cos it's just one long run with no break. I'm just starting to have some life back now and Nathan, my youngest is 2 next week.

my youngest two are 15 months apart, and it's been the hardest - yet the best thing i've ever done!

oliver only started walking when amelia was four weeks old, and carrying him around etc, lifting him out of the car and all that while heavily pregnant was hard work!!!

I must be weird lol!
I had my first two with 10.5 months between them and tbh dont remember it being too hard?! Then I had my daughter 18 months later so 3 under 3 years and i just got on with it!?

BUT!!!! Saying that, the thought of having another now after Lola is just crazy thoughts lol!
I think back and just dont know how i coped?! I was on like autopilot I think :think:

It is so worth it though! My eldest is 10 this year and Dill is 9 and they are best of friends!

nutcase109 said:
I cant imagine being heavily pregnant or having a newborn whilst also looking after toddler - whats it like?

Hi nutcase,

My daughter is now 18 months old and I'm 5 months pregnant - she'll be 22 months or so when the new baby arrives.

I haven't done the having 2 young ones bit yet (obviously) but I can't lie, I have found this pregnancy much more physically and mentally draining than the first. I don't even have time to think about it, its like I don't even remember I'm pregnant until I'm throwing up every morning (yes, still!).

Physically its hard work. I was in a local town today with DD who was walking with her reins/backpack on. Suddenly she decided she didn't want to walk anymore and sat down on the (wet :roll: ) pavement. We were still a wee while away from the car so I had no choice but to carry her and my shopping (and bump!) back to the car which was really tough going. You are constantly lifting your toddler in and out of highchairs/car seats/cots etc and it is getting tough now and I imagine only going to get worse! My OH is going away for the weekend in a few weeks and I am going to my Mums' as I just don't think I can do it on my own (all the lifting etc).

I sometimes feel angry (for want of a better word) towards this baby as its taking away time and things that DD and I could be doing together - for example in the 1st tri, we had days and days where all I could do was lie on the sofa and watch her play. I know this is irrational and unfair but I can't help it.

I also don't have the time to read the books, talk to the baby, prepare for the birth, think things through, plan what to buy/do etc - like I did with DD.

I know it'll all work out in the long run and I did always want a 2 year gap, but although I enjoyed my last pregnancy, I'm really not enjoying this one.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Valentine Xxx

I thought Isaac was HARD work, the birth went against what we'd hoped for, long hospital stay and he was a screamer...I prepared for VERY HARD work when Ophelia came along but it wasn't hard, it has all been quite nice, my main problem is Ophelia on an evening now, as she won't sleep much at all, unless on my boob hehe but Isaac's in bed so that's no issue, I'm just looking forward to getting her into a bedtime 'routine'. I think your child's personalities are the key, if they like each other, appreciate Mummy has one pair of hands, which obviously they don't fully do, it does work well. Ophelia adores Isaac, she lights up when she sees him and he can entertain her just by being there lol Isaac is currently learning to share with her, he loves his books and when Ophelia chews them he's not best pleased! The worst part whilst pregnant with a toddler was the tiredness in the beginning, once that passed everything was a lot better!

Good luck ttc :hug:

I'm only 14 weeks pregnant but I am already finding it hard work. My daughter is 24lb so is heavy to carry round and I have found changing poo nappies a problem too as have suffered quite a bit with sickness this time. Jess is teething quite badly at the minute so isn't sleeping through the night and by the end of the day I am knackered and my back hurts! This pregnancy is flying by last time it felt like it went on forever feels like its going so quick i won't even be ready for LO. I am 2 busy most of the day to really think about being pregnant this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back