Would I be entitled to anything?

Lacey's Mummy

Reaction score
If I didn't return to work?
I've just phoned work about returning as I havent heard nout and they said they've sent a letter to my old address requesting a meeting. Normally a meeting means they can't give me the hours/days I want to work but if they can't then I'm screwed and will have to leave! I can only work Saturday's due to OH working away and have no one else to have the kids and I can't afford childcare.
If I was to leave would I be entitled to any benefits? OH earns around 27k a year so we only get £10 a week child tax credits. Would they get affected?
I'm seriously worried that work won't let me have my hours :(

We have a similar amount coming in and same tax credits as yourself and I'm pretty sure if I didn't go back to work we wouldn't get anything but I'm unsure - would be interested to see what people say. It's looking likely that I will have to go back to work when baby is about 8 months as I dont think we could afford to live otherwise. But only if my MIL is able to have baby 2/3 days a week as we won't be able to afford childcare either. Other than that I'd have to work different hours to my hubby and split it between us x

I tried to find this out too cos I can't afford childcare for when I want to go back to work and my OH is on 20k and I don't think we get anything which is pretty rubbish. I only looked on the tax credit thingy online though so I could be wrong. It's ridiculous how expensive childcare is! X

What I'm worried about is not being entitled but can't work and we won't be able to afford our mortgage! I thought work would be fine cos their crying out for weekend staff so I don't understand why they want a meeting.

eally hard isnt it, our income is in that bracket too, and its the worst place to be at the moment I think! its just not enough to live off anymore, but youre not entitled to any help :(

I work 3 short days a week and LOs childcare costs £99 per week :shock: We're on our knees and dunno what to do :(

£99 a week?!!! Omg! It used to cost me £200 a month with Lacey and I thought that was bad enough!
I keep thinking of other ways I could work but I just can't!! I can't do evenings cos OH won't be here and family don't finish work until 6pm and evening shifts are 6-9 and the only other day is Sunday but if I do that then I won't ever see OH!

If you were to do a few shifts in the week you can get child care element off tax credits as long as your working at least 16 hrs a week. I think they pay 80% off it? I worked 3 days a week when my middle boy was a baby and had to go to crèche. I applied for the childcare element and there was another company who paid for the rest so we didn't have to pay for any childcare. (the money went into our account for it and we just gave it to them) I'll try and get the link off the other place.

I've just had a phone call, I've got a meeting Wednesday. Their calling me in for a meeting cos they never got my flexible working form that I sent back so hopefully I'll still get the hours I want.
I doubt ill be able to do 16 hours. Where I work are set shifts so 9.45-6.15 or 6.15-9.15. You can't do shorter shifts or different hours so even if I put charley in nursery, I'd still have to find someone to pick him up and Lacey up from school x x

If you were to do a few shifts in the week you can get child care element off tax credits as long as your working at least 16 hrs a week. I think they pay 80% off it? I worked 3 days a week when my middle boy was a baby and had to go to crèche. I applied for the childcare element and there was another company who paid for the rest so we didn't have to pay for any childcare. (the money went into our account for it and we just gave it to them) I'll try and get the link off the other place.

we get childcare element but its nowhere near 80% of it. We get about £120 per month in total for tax credits. We both work over 16 hours per week, but its means tested so its nowhere near the £400 we fork out every month :wall2:

I've just had a phone call, I've got a meeting Wednesday. Their calling me in for a meeting cos they never got my flexible working form that I sent back so hopefully I'll still get the hours I want.
I doubt ill be able to do 16 hours. Where I work are set shifts so 9.45-6.15 or 6.15-9.15. You can't do shorter shifts or different hours so even if I put charley in nursery, I'd still have to find someone to pick him up and Lacey up from school x x

gosh theyre long shifts!! Is there any way a family member could have them for you?

I only have my parents who live close. My dads retired but wouldn't know how to look after them and mum still works. I asked dad earlier that if possible would he have them for an hour on a Friday night so I could do the 6-9 shift then tim would be home by 7 so he wouldn't have them long.

hope you manage to sort something out Hun xx

I pay £200 per week for the twins nursery fees and my bigger boy to go to after school :0 x

Do you get any help towards cost?? If I was to work full time, that would be my wage!

If you type into google 'entitled to' you can do a calculator to work out what you can or cant get. I can't afford to move in with OH at the moment, but If I worked 20 hours I could. If I worked more than that or a higher wage then we'd be in the same position as living apart. :/

They dont half make it hard for you. Luckily for me though, I rent so I can get housing benefit but if I moved in with OH it would be a house that his dad would own so Im not sure how that would work.

Bloomin money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back