What to buy?

SarahH

Reaction score
Hi All!!

Me again looking for advice!!

I'm sure I haven't bought everything I need for the baby's arrival. I've got the obvious things like buggy, cot, etc. but there is bound to be some little stupid things I've forgotton :roll: .

Please help!!

S. xx

heres my list hope it helps....

cotbed
mattress
buggy
car seat
wardrobe
chest of draws
changing mat
moses basket
baby bath
bouncy chair
baby monitor
changing bag
steriliser
bottles
breast pump
nursery feeding chair
4 fitted sheets
2 flat sheets
blankets
starter blanket kit for mothercare for moses basket
sleeping bag
mobile
sleepsuits
vests
mittens
bibs
towels
muslin squares
brush & comb
nail scissors
bath thermometers
baby lotions
wipes
nappies
nappy sacks

:shock: xxxxx

spare teats with bigger holes in case the baby is a hungry baby.. i got a few for 2 or 3 months old babies....

don't forget yourself.... breast pads, lady pads, body creams (keep your skin moisturised)

have you got your hopsital bag too?

x

Thanks all!

I have my hospital bag - it's just the little things, like mits - forgot that!!

Going shopping today so will hopefully get everything!

Thanks!

S. xx

MAYBE MATERNITY TOWELS, BREAST PADS, CREAM ( IF BREAST FEEDING) THINK YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING COVERED.

I recommend you buy loads & loads of long sanitary towels (the co-op do really good ones) I had to send my DH out the day after we got home from the hospital because I had no where near enough. I found I was changing them every coulpe of hours for the first few days.

We bought scatch mittens but have to say haven't used them once! I read somewhere that the 'experts' don't recommened using them so the baby can learn about their nails & not to scratch themselves??? :think:

When I was breastfeeding I didn't really need to use bibs but since he's been having the bottle as well they are a must, unless my LO is just a messy eater!

Nicki.x :D

thats interesting about the mittens nicki!? I thought you HAD to put them on the baby!

Prehaps I will try not to for a while when the baby gets here xxxx

I agree with nicki re the maternity pads - way underestimated how many i'd need! we live in a village and the next village has a chemist but they didnt do them so i ended up with tenna lady!!! does the job if you are in a bind though :lol:

how about flannels and sponge for the bath - oh my labour bag tip would be a couple of flannels too as they often give you a bed bath with one and you dont want to use that on your face after its cleaned you up after labour :?

xx

That's a good tip about the maternity pads, I have no idea how many to buy. I'll buy some more to top up my stocks at the moment.

Did you just wear old knickers or would you recommend the disposable knickers to start off with as all the mags tell you to buy?

i don't know if i dare say it for fear of everyone laughing at me but i used those disposable knickers! (LOL), But you know they were the best thing i packed. I just tore them off and chucked them away and it saved on normal knickers and washing.
If you do get some of those mmake sure you get the nxt sixe up from what you are though as i find them smallish and they can cut into you.

i feel so strongly about my disposable knickrers that i might put up a new thread totally dedicated to them. :clap:

LOL.

It does make sense to use them as you say, must make life a lot easier to be able to just bin them.

I'll bear that in mind about the size as well.

Thanks!

i totally agree with budge they aint the most comfortable thing in the world but they are an absolute godsend!! :lol:

Def agree with Budge re disposable pants. i also had a pack of cheapie black nickers in a bigger size and found that wearing them over the disposable knickers was best for me - as budge said you get the next size up but then i didnt feel secure :oops:

Also if you have a seperate hospital bag and labour bag make sure you pack pads and knickers in your labour bag too! i didnt and as my waters kept on breaking and totally soaked my pad i had no dry knickers to change into and ended up just going without as my other bag was still in the car :oops:

x

Right, I'll make sure that I have plenty of big knickers and disposables at the ready!

Not certain about these disposable pants! Had the image of them being like horrible paper pants or something! I refused to buy them first time and bought nice big comfy cheap pants from m&s and threw them away if I needed to!

As for maternity pads, if you're a bit sensitive down there like me I got the Boots own slim line maternity pads. They're in a small square pack like sanitary towels but they're really good and really soft. Last thing you want is something massive and scratchy down there after giving birth! I got some cheap ones when i ran out and they bought me out in this really horrible sore which made it so that I felt I was going to pass out or be sick with the pain everytime anything even brushed against it. And it took about 2 weeks to clear up and I only wore them for less than a day!

Tan x

Thank you all so much!

My DH is still laughing at the thought of me in disposable knickers!! I managed to get some bits and bobs yesterday so I think I'm almost ready!! I'm starting to panic as I am so sure I'm going to go early as I've already had a few twinges!! HOW SCARY!! :shock:

S.xx

do you have to use maternity towels or can you use thick sanitury towels??? xxx

I bought some disposable knickers too and wore them to begin with after my waters broke (i was already in hospital when they did), but as my waters were coming in gushes rather than trickles they didn't last long! The hospital I went to had disposable knicks too, which were alot more comfortable then the ones I had!

My waters broke at 06.45 and at 10.00 I was put on a drip and monitors so was confined to the bed so didn't have any knickers on, just a pad between my legs, saved time later on, when I came to push!! :lol:

Keely, just buy sanitury towels, probably cheaper than maternity ones.
Afterwards its just like you've got a heavy period. I had Jamie 2 weeks 2 days ago & my blood flow is minimal now but i'm still using the BIG pads.
When you're in hospital they will probably provide you with them anyway (well, my hospital did, I got through alot!).

Nicki.x :D

tan that sounds awful... i've heard the weeks after giving birth you can be very sore... holding the shower head on your bits with cool water eases the pain - so i was told... i hope i don't need stitches down below i can be a real wimp at times...

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back