• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What painkillers are safe? x

Froslass

Reaction score
I woke up today with killer tonsilitis :( I normally get it about once a year, my throat is rapidly swelling :( I feel so bad :(

Normally I'd take ibuprofen and cocodamol, and that knocks me right out. I can't even swallow. Paracetamol just isn't doing anything! :(

I'm really worried, that my throat will swell up more and if I'm sick I'm going to choke :( x Eww :( x

Is there anything else thats safe to take?

My GP doesn't even give me antibiotics anymore cause I get this so often..They won't even attempt to remove my tonsils either, as apparently it has to be life threatening now to have it done! x

You want to try to avoid Aspirin or Ibuprofen if possible. Aspirin is linked with placental abruption and Ibuprofen is a stomach irritant.

Paracetamol is ok though.

Sorry for the bad news! Hope you feel better soon hunny xx

I think you can take cocodamol cos it's paracetamol based it def ibufen you need to avoid, ring your midwife or pop into chemist and get a quick clarification. Maybe soluble stuff be best to coat your throat more and get quicker relief, hope you feel better soon x

I checked with the Pharmacist and Dr and they say Paracetamol are fine in moderation. Sorry youre poorly, I can sympathise as Ive been really ill the last few days too.
x

I think only Paracetamol. Def get advice from a professional though x

A pharmacist won't let you buy co codamol over the counter but I know some of the girls have been prescribed it from their docs. I'd give your doctor a call and ask their advice. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks ladies x I've got a BIG box of prescribed cocodamol in the medecine cabinet from last time I had it (bout 5 months ago!!) M midwife told me not to take cocodamol, but my GP said it was fine? x Everything on the internet seems to suggest it's ok too, but not sure x Been taking paracetamol but it doesn't really do anything :( x

Not allowed any kind of antibacterial mouthwashes either :( x I have numbing stuff to gurgle with but can't use it! x :cry:

What about Difflam spray, it numbs the throat?

If it were me and gp said its ok to take I'd go with that. Plenty of the girls on here have had it prescribed or their mw's have said its fine. As long as you stick with the recommended dose and don't take any other paracetamol containing products. X

You poor soul! I really hope you feel better soon, the sickness is bad enough without tonsilitis on top! xxx

Thanks chick x Ive tried Difflam in the past, it's never really helped but It's so bad Inside my tonsils hurt lol x I will certainly be trying it again though, even if it only helps a little bit x

They won't take my stupid tonsils out because apparently I need them...lol x :( :cry:

THe other reason I'm a bit wary about cocodamol is because I actually don't react very well to it.. It makes me VERY dizzy and if I move my head it makes me feel sick. It kills the pain though, so I take them when I'm desperate, or too ill to care. Just worried if It affects me like that, what might it be doing to bubs! xx

Lucky though, sickness seems to be better the past few days, although still feel nauseous it's bearable x Dreading being sick though...hope it stays away :( x

I would take the cocodamol if doc said it's ok, you can always take less and see if it works. I noticed your 12 weeks so it's probably safer than if you were maybe 6 weeks as baby has done most of it's vital cell forming now which I think is a lot of the reasons we get told not to take certain things, the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it there was any doubt. Hope it clears up soon x

I wouldn't take anything apart from paracetamol! Been told by everyone when pregnant you can only take that x

Thanks chick x Ive tried Difflam in the past, it's never really helped but It's so bad Inside my tonsils hurt lol x I will certainly be trying it again though, even if it only helps a little bit x

They won't take my stupid tonsils out because apparently I need them...lol x :( :cry:

You don't need them at all, I haven't had any for years! I know you said your GP doesn't usually bother giving you antibiotics anymore cos you get it so regular but with you being pregnant it might be worth checking this time as the poison that comes out might not be very good for you either at the mo.

You don't need them at all, I haven't had any for years! I know you said your GP doesn't usually bother giving you antibiotics anymore cos you get it so regular but with you being pregnant it might be worth checking this time as the poison that comes out might not be very good for you either at the mo.

Its so horrible, the spots are def starting to ooze now...I think this is one of the worst I've ever had it! Infact, I'm actually getting worried..I've taken some pics and I think they look worse than anything on google images :( x I'd post them but they would just make you all puke they're horrible!!

It's making me feel really sick too, the pain and the yuck...Plus i'm so scared about my 12 week scan tomorrow :( and OH is being a bit of a knob...thinks i'm overreacting :( x

Oh hun, I really feel for you. Tonsillitus is absolutely awful, I used to get it all the time as a teenager (at least once a month) so had my tonsils whipped out when I was 14. Best thing that ever happened to me!

If you're worried, go to your GP hun, thats what they're there for. I used to be on a load of tablets when I got it, steroids, antibiotics, painkiller, throat sweets (prescription ones, they were lovely but can't remeber what they're called now).

Thanks chick :) I've got my scan today, and I've called the GP this morning and I'm going tomorrow x :) Hopefully she'll be able to give me something :( I've got to have bloods taken today (I fainted last time so they only got 2 out 3 vials ) and I'm not sure I can hack it! x :cry: x

I certainly don't get it as often as when I was younger, last time was about 5 months ago... xxx

I've been drinking lots of lemon and honey and hot water x It really soothes my throat xx

Co-codamol contains Codeine, it's derived from heroin, personally I wouldn't take it, but if the pain is really bad, you have to do what you feel is best!

Co-codamol contains Codeine, it's derived from heroin, personally I wouldn't take it, but if the pain is really bad, you have to do what you feel is best!

So is morphine but you can still take diamorphine safely in childbirth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back