What happens next.....?

wannabe.pg

Reaction score
I am TTC my first and i'm a little concerned/confused as to what happens when we DO actually make a baby. Do I HAVE to go to docs or can i go straight to midwife? I've heard horror stories about "internals" do they still do them and do i HAVE to have one? At what point will i start having scans etc? I'm a bit confused and worried about that I guess so would love some advice.

Thanks xx

Hey hun, good luck with the TTC'ng. When you do get your bfp, ring the docs and they will tell you what to do. It varies for each area. I rang and spoke to the doc who then said it was ok to book an appointment with the midwife. She then wrote to me with a date for my booking in appointment which was around 10 weeks. (some places will see you earlier).

After that, she will arrange a dating scan, which should be around 12ish weeks. The baby should be big enough at this point to see through a normal ultrasound. so you won't need internal scan. If you get a scan earlier you may have to have internal scan, but it's fairly simple and doesn't hurt.

After that, you will see Midwife around 16 weeks then get a 20 ish week scan.

Hey when i was pregnant, 9years ago, it was pretty much as above only i had a couple more scans as my placenta was laying over my cervix so had to be scanned further along the pregnancy to make sure it had moved.

I also had a an internal and i think a couple of swabs. But none of these hurt in the slightest! The swabs were exactly like having a smear.

As long as your keep relaxed you wont feel a thing!

Good luck in ttc x x

Hi,
When I was pg with ds I had to book an appt with the doc at 6wks, who then said I could book the mw appt (8-10 weeks). I had a scan at 12 wks and 20wks, no internals until I was in labour (didnt hurt and I could have declined)
Good luck x

Thanks everyone, the other thing is blood tests, I hear you have to have those?? Dont get me wrong, i'm not a chicken when it comes to needles or anything (well, maybe just a little bit!!) but just want to try and find out exactly what happens so i can prepare for it!! :)

I had blood tests at my mws appts (so the routine ones not to confirm HCG rising). When you go to your booking in appt with your mw you'll be given information as to when you'll get scans, mws appts and what happens at each one.

Hey I think you have blood test at the beginning of the pregnancy so the first or second midwife appointment then I think I had a second lot done half way through. Not sure if this was routine or if it had owt to do with my placenta.

It was a long time ago and memory isn't too good, but the midwifes will tell you every thing. The first appointment will be to confirm details, check bp, and she'll probably have a feel of belly. Then you get to ask her loads of questions. If it helps write some down so you don't forget x x x

Wow there is so much to know and so scary!! I dont like people prodding and poking about with me and I very rarely go to the doctor so it's a bit daunting but at the end of it I will have a beautiful bouncing baby (if he or she ever gets made in the first place!!! grrr!!). Thanks for all your advice though ladies xx

I cant really add much, i had booking in appt with midwife at which they fill out your notes take family histories and do blood tests etc, your next appt is then your 12 week scan then midwife again at 16 weeks and every four weeks after that. No internals unless you have any issues, eg i had a simple infection that needed antibiotics so they had to check down there but otherwise nothing till labour or if you need a sweep etc. good luck ttc and feel free to ask, my LO is only 6 months so its pretty fresh in my mind x

Blood tests, as the others have said you get that at your first MW appointment. I had more blood tests at my first scan but these were for the downs syndrome check. So if you've decided you don't want that I'm guessing they won't take any blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back