• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what do u do??

NICCI

Reaction score
i was just wondering what routines u ladies have with babies around 6 weeks, im trying to get jack into a routine but it doesnt seem to be working!!! beacause i am breast feeding his feeds are quite irratic so he doesnt have the same feeding pattern everyday so im finding it hard to have set bath and bed times, plus he usually has quite a wakey period in the evening so he usually falls asleep between 10 and 12!!! also what r ure LO s sleeping in jack is in his moses basket!!

thanks 4 any replies!! xxx

At around six weeks we had a bedtime routine. It did however fit in around her feeds.
She feeds on demand so i would base it around her evening feeds.
I gave her a bath and got her dressed for bed. Then i started to take her into the bedroom in a dimly lit room and give her a feed. She usually fell asleep so i would then place her in her cot.

We did start with a moses basket but she hated it as she is such a wriggly baby so we bought a trvel cot and she slept in that in a sleeping bag :)

I think what you have to remember is that it can take some time for a baby to adjust to a 'routine' as such especially when they are breastfed.

I started off with the above routine and bedtime was around 10ish to start with then eventually over time i gradually made it earlier, plus i think Calleigh kinda decided what her routine was gonna be. She now has a bath at around 6.30pm, then feed in the bedroom then into her cot and she is asleep by 8 at the latest :)

When they start to get a little older you will start to notice your babies own patterns of sleep and awakeness and to be honest i think a routine works best started around that.

The only routine we had at 6 weeks was one based around the order in which we did things rather than at set times as such (eat, play, sleep, eat, play, sleep...) and tried to differentiate between night and day by only partially darkening the room during the day (as a sleep signal) but fully darkening it at night. Until Jack's worked out how often his body needs to feed you can't really go by the clock (unfortunately!).

From the start Isabella has been sleeping in a baby hammock (night and day as only live in a studio apartment) which has been brilliant http://www.lilimay.com/nursery-furniture/naturessway.php

wow that baby hammock looks soooo comfy!! xxxx

6 weeks was about the time I introduced a bedtime routine.

Maia didn't like a bath back then so we just used to have a massage in her bedroom with a lullaby cd playing in the background, get her ready for bed then feed, wind and down in her cot in our room.

The time we did this always varied depending on when she last had a nap, but usually she would be in bed anytime between 6:30pm and 7:30pm leaving me and hubby to make our evening meal and sit and relax. She could go roughly 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours between naps so I always knew how long I had for our routine before she would start to get tired and cranky. If she needed a feed close to our bedtime routine I would feed her but only give her half of the usual time on the breast then take her off and finish the feed as part of our routine. Now she generally feeds as part of our routine no matter when her last feed was cause she knows its bedtime and knows she needs to fill up in order to sleep through.

Thats the only routine we have, I know she will always want to nap in the morning then again at lunch and then in the afternoon but I just let her take the lead on when she wants to sleep and eat.

Didn't really have a routine at 6 weeks. Not even a time for bed. The only thing we did do was start bathing at a similar time each night. Routine kind of fell into place the past few weeks.

During the day I did work on LO spending time on his own on the play mat or in his basket with the mobile on. Gave me 30 mins to an hour free to get on with stuff. He is happy to amuse himself still.

Did a few other things also but nothing major. Just went with the flow and Galen sort of fell into his own routine and now goes to bed same time every night :)

I found that a routine just started to happen around 6 weeks, the only thing we have done is start putting him in his moses basket at around 9.30 (this varies as he feeds on demand and has no routine to daytime naps but is very close to the 9.30 mark) in the darkend bedroom, put his dummy in and leave him, he then sleeps until about 4.30am and then every two hours from there. Not a bad routine for the night but our daytimes are still all over the place, probably because I'm the most unorganised person I know.

He is still in a moses basket but only has about 2 inches left in it, I'm not sure what we will do next as the cot bed is to big for our room :doh:

I think my top tip would be to have the baby in a light noisy place to nap during the day and dark quiet place to sleep during the night, this is why I think Rudy sleeps for a long stretch as he knows the difference between the night and day. Rudy, like Jack has a very wakefull time before he has his last feed, thats when we get giggles and smiles.

Alex xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back