• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what can i expect at a 16 week scan? (first scan)

claireyfairey

Reaction score
:wave:

As you know, I have my first scan on Friday and I will be 16 weeks :dance: I was just wondering what is likely to happen? The midwife I spoke to on the phone said I was booked for a dating scan...

My questions basicallly are:

How long will it take roughly?
Are they able to tell the sex at 16 weeks (and are they likely to tell me)?
Has anyone else had their first scan so late; if so what happened and what could you see etc etc? :)

I'm curious! And excited :cheer:

C xxx

I think at my 12 week scan they took about 10mins so we could have a good look. They will give your dates....quite possible they will say if its a boy of a girly at 16weeks.

Its amazing at the first scan! Makes it feel so real!

Wow is this ur first ever scan?

You've waited so long but the wait will be definatly worth it, at 12 weeks baby has everything so 16 weeks will be even better!!!!

They should be able to tell you the sex so make sure you ask oooo Make sure you post your piccies!!!

xx :hug:

I've been waiting for so long :cry: But I'm bursting with excitement now!

I would love to find out the sex and will definately post piccies when I get them :D

C xxx

My first scan was spectacularly late. :shock:

I went for a dating scan at what we had worked out to be 12-14 weeks and gave the poor trainee sonographer a shock when she identified a 23 week old baby in my tummy! :shock: :shock:

The first thing they'll do is take measurements of bub all over (head, tummy, legs) to give you a date. At my scan they immediately went on to do all the checks they would do at the 20 week anomaly scan (it took about 20-30 mins for the whole scan) but if you are earlier than 20 weeks the chances are that if your health board do that scan, they'll probably book you in for another one. We weren't allowed to find out the sex because it's against our health board's policy.

All the best for tomorrow! x

like the others same just measurements to ensure your names are correct, and i think they should be able to tell the sex at 16 weeks, but im not sure if they'll actually tell you, coz i think they find it easier at 20 weeks, not sure tho. anyways hope u have a good scan tomoro and cant wait to see piccy's :) :hug:

i had my first scan at 15 weeks and it was a little disappointing as i felt it was over too quickly. felt like i hardly had time to see him and take in what was going on. she measured the head and had a good look at the baby told me my due date which turned out to be a week earlier than the midwife had worked out and that was about it but the good thing is you will get a much clearer picture of baby than you would do at 12 weeks :D i didn't ask if she could tell what the sex was at that scan and she never mentioned it. i guess if you mentioned it they would try and look for you but i think they like to wait till later on to be sure.

good luck with your scan xx it really is amazing you'll love it and you'll be looking forward to the next scan so you can your baby again and they grow so fast the difference between the 2 scans are amazing :D

I think the further o nyou get the more accurate sexing is, so even if they can tell you the sex now, there is a chance it'll be wrong.

We were told the sex of ours at 24 weeks so im pretty sure its accurate.

Hope everything goes well, and im pretty sure you'l lget some amazing views at this stage. Mine was still tiny when i had my scan could only just make out arms and legs, but they should get a good look at yours :D

How exciting!!! :cheer: Do you get a 20 week scan?

I think they can tell from about 16 weeks so maybe hun! They might not be too accurate though... I'm not sure though sorry I can't be more help.

Be sure to post some pics!! We seem to be short of some here recently :( xxx

my dating scan onthe nhs lasted for about 4-5 mins and we got to see the bubs for 30 seconds :shock: i was 15 + 5 byt the time the scan date came through

this is the worse case scenario tho, i'm sure yours will be longer, my nhs is crap!

Nothing beats seeing the wee one wiggling away in there

3 hours to go! :cheer:

Anyone know roughly h ow much blood they are going to take from me? I feel quite ill just thinking about it, I hate hate hate blood tests :(

C xxx

One needle, usually 1-3 vials from that. Just look the other way, keep your arm straight and your fist clenched till they have the needle in and are drawing the blood.

Re telling you the sex, its still not accurate at this time so they may not tell you. Also you may find they change your dates a little and you get put back or forward so be prepared. 20 weeks is usually when if they tell the sex if its their policy. Less margin for error then. I'd not like to put the sonographer on the spot at 16 weeks in case it is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back