My first scan - what should I expect??

bagpuss

Reaction score
:) Hello,I hope you've all enjoyed Christmas!

I will be having my first scan in January,I will be around 22 weeks pregnant - this is because I only found out I was expecting in December.

I was just wondering what me and my partner should expect when we go along to the scan.We are just thinking about things like how long does it take,what sort of questions might be asked,how long does the actual scan take,what else might happen.Just general things really.We are both very excited, and can't wait,but also curious,so I thought I'd ask for some advice and ideas!

Thanks,Bagpuss :D

:) Still interested in finding out what goes on if anyone could help please!!
I have had my notes filled in by the midwife at the surgery,so thats all done.......

Hi Bagpuss

I am going for my 20 week scan on Wednesday and am really excited to see the difference in my little bean :D :D

Having your first scan is wonderful, seeing your bean for the the first time just can't be put into words :D :D

You are advised to drink plenty of water, I think I had about 4 pints before going to the hospital and thought I was going to wet myself, I really didn't know how I was going to get out of the car and walk into the building :shock: when I checked in at the desk I was told there was a wait and was advised to sit down with a drink!!!!!!! I politley told the lady that I couldn't drink anything else and so she told me to go to the toilet and empty my bladder and start again - pure relief :D Thinking back to all the other PG ladies in the waiting room, they all came in with a bottle of water and were drinking whilst they waited- something that I will do this time round rather than filling myself up before I get there!!

I was pushed in for the scan as I had been having really bad pains and the hospital were worried that I was having an ectopic pregnancy so as I was waiting I was really tense and scared rather than being relaxed and excited.

I was called into the room by the sonographer an hour and half after I was told that I would be scanned and layed down on the bed. DH came with me and sat on a chair at the foot of the bed. The sonographer rubbed the jelly on my tummy (which again at this point was full of water and I was beginning to get a bit uncomfortable :? ) and started the scan. The screen was faced away from me (not sure if this is always the case or because they suspected that I might be ectopic) but DH could see the screen from where he was sitting and from his expression I knew that my bean was fine :D :D

Once the sonographer was happy that everything was ok she turned the screen round for me to see and pointed out the babies arms and legs etc to us. I thought that I was 8 weeks at this point but I was actually 12 weeks and so further on than I thought. I had to tell the sonographer how many photographs I wanted to buy (I got 3, one for us and one each for my mum and DH's mum) and then had to wait in the waiting area again for the photos to be prepared - I ran to the loo at this point!!!!!! Before I left I had to go to a different reception and they booked me in for my 20 week scan and cancelled the one scheduled for my 12 week.

I'm not sure if this is any help and it may differ depending which hospital you go too but that was what happened for me - good luck for your scan, I look forward to hearing all about it :D

Xxx

:D Thanks so much Lindsay for sharing your experience,I really appreciate it. I wish I had found out that I was pregnant sooner,I would have loved to have seen the development between scans,but I am just looking forward to it now,so is my partner.It felt weird when I heard the little heartbeat at the appointment with my Midwife,and I couldn't put it into words,so actually seeing it I expect to be unbelieveable - I just know that Dave will be crying,he is so excited!
I'm dreading the fact that my bladder has to be full - I keep dribbling now when I cough,sneeze or laugh,so I think I should purchase some Tena pads now! :oops:

Thanks again,Lindsay - and good luck to you too for your scan!

Bagpuss

Hey Bagpuss,

Another Bagpuss here.

I hope everything goes well with your scan.

The full bladder thingy is difficult to get right, you don't need to be full to bursting as I was on my first scan. I had to let some out! Once you start to feel like you need a wee then you've probably drunk enough.

:D Hello Bagpuss!!

Thanks for that - I was concerned about the full bladder as to get to the hospital we'll have to go over a load of speed ramps,and I just had a thought that my bladder would be empty before I got there :oops: !!

bagpuss said:
I'm dreading the fact that my bladder has to be full - I keep dribbling now when I cough,sneeze or laugh,so I think I should purchase some Tena pads now! :oops:

know how u feel there hun :oops: i seem to spend half my life now wearing always ultras lol
good luck for the scan xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back