What are the chances & how long????? (re-lactation)

ASD123456

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

As some of you may or my not know i made the decsion to start mix feeding a few weeks ago. I'm feeling pretty s**ty about this decision because I enjoy BF so much and only stopped as epressing in college toilets wasn't very much fun. Now that I've started mix feeding they've sorted out a room I can epress comfotabaly in :roll:

Anyway, I am just wondering what are the chances of relactating enough to gove him mist of his feeds? I'm currently feeding through the night (which is at around 5/6am) then at about 8am and then not until abot 6pm- he has about three to four 8oz bottles depending on the day (we have no routine and just feed whenever he wants).

What are the chance that I can build my supply back up?
Is it unrealistic considering his age (16 weeks)?
If I do manage to relactate how long would it take to build up my supply?
If it is possible, how do I go about it?

I just feel bad because BF was going so well and we both really enjoyed it ad I just want to be able to feed him mostly myself again because I currentlyfeel like were on the downward spiral into the bottles being favored to the boob :(
Any help would be very ery apreciated.

Alex xxx

You'll need to express more and often. Keep him on mix feeds but once you start hammering your boobies with the expresser they will think your LO has upped his demand and produce more. TBH you are in a better state than other mothers who introduce mix feeding early on, because your supply is already well established. All you need to do is keep your LO feed the same from you and introduce maybe one or two expression periods in the day. :D

What are the chance that I can build my supply back up?

very high

Is it unrealistic considering his age (16 weeks)?

not unrealistic but will be hard work at first

If I do manage to relactate how long would it take to build up my supply?

that would depend tbh could be a few weeks, could be more

If it is possible, how do I go about it?

you need to go back to basics. Skin to skin, feeding on the boob first, and then topping up with formula. Letting him go on the boob as much as you can. I can't type much as am feeding Cally, but this is a great link. Will try and get on later to answer any more questions.

:hug:

Thanks for the replys.

I'm feeling really positive that it can be done, so really I need to be stimulating my boobs a lot to build the supply back up. I'm going to visit my mother in Wales for a few days so it's the perfect oppourtunty to try and up my supply, I won't have much to do and will be really relxaed. Can I just use my electric pump whilst he's bottle feeding so my body thinks there's a baby at all his feed times? Or would it be better to use it more often?

if you've got a few solid days with rudy, let him feed as often as you can. as has been said, loads of skin to skin cuddles (which will help stimulate your flow) letting him latch whenever he wants. he probably will still need top-ups, but let him live on your boobs as much as you can - they should be first resort.

the link beanie gave you is a really good one.

good luck honey - it most certainly can be done with perseverance :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ASD123456 said:
Thanks for the replys.

I'm feeling really positive that it can be done, so really I need to be stimulating my boobs a lot to build the supply back up. I'm going to visit my mother in Wales for a few days so it's the perfect oppourtunty to try and up my supply, I won't have much to do and will be really relxaed. Can I just use my electric pump whilst he's bottle feeding so my body thinks there's a baby at all his feed times? Or would it be better to use it more often?

To build up my supply i had lily on the boob as much as possible and then if this wasn;t happening (very fussy lady!) I used to express as i was giving her the bottle- took a bit of skill but adapted a belly band to hold the pumps in place as i have a double pump. You need to give the body the message that milk is needed at these times- even if you give him boob first and then bottle you should express after to make sure body knows to produce enough. Good luck with it- it definately can be done.

I hope it works for you Alex!! And i'm glad they've finalyl osrted a room for you to express in, i'm still using the corner of the car park and my coat to express atm lol, luckily i rarely have to do it.

Thanks for the replys everyone, we've been to Wales to see my mother for a few days. Rudy has had the boob with formula milk top ups afterwards and it seems to be getting more succesful and I can feel my boobs tingling again hen it's feed time. It's going to take quite a bit more work but I'm sure we'll get there. Thanks again and I'll keep you updated as to how we get on. :D

You go for it! Im very impressed by your determination :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back