Feeding after how long - Plz advice

Loveleen

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I need some practical advice from you all. I went to bf session and they told me to feed every 2 hours for half an hr. 15 mins on each breast. I dont have sufficient milk supply so when I BF, my baby is hungry every hr. and sometimes i dont have milk to feed him again. I have been giving him formula in nite and afternoon after which he sleeps for 4 hrs and I cannot BF then,. I thought of expressing but then I worry that after i express it will again take 3 hrs for my milk supply to build up. Also when I expressed only 20 ml comes out

The HV and BF ppl aredriving my crazy. They say if i do mix feeding then he will get used to bottle...:( My mom always topped both of us so she says its normal for topping up to ensure baby is not hungry, grows well and stays calm instead of crying out loud bcz of pain...I am completely confused and weepy..Plz advice

i mix feed iv been building my supply up from a dribble i express because the more comes out your body the more you make i was also told it could be added to forular if there nt alot of it i got a great feeding buddy at my local surestart centre

I had problems with my milk supply too and I thought the same, if I expressed then there wouldnt be milk there for LO. The breast feeding advisor told me it doesnt work like that, the moreoften you express the more milk your body will produce. Does your LO have a weak suck out of interest? Mine did and Im sure thats why I had poor milk supply.

P.S. dont panic about mixed feeding its generally advised not to but not every baby gets confused, mine didnt. He had to be bottle fed in the beginning cos of my milk supply, the midwifes on the ward told me I had to give him formula in a bottle. He learned to BF at 6 weeks old for the first time. He actually preferred the boob and when I stopped BFing he still likes to be held in the BFing position with his face against my boob.

Thanks so much tiny. I will again go to BF class to check if he is latching properly but he does empty my breasts every time I feed him and then is hungry again..I will start expressing then to see if it helps..were u expressing even when no milk was coming..

yup I sat there 10 mins on each boob and got nothing for a few days then a few drops then it just built up from there. I also took fenugreek supplements but I dont think they worked for me. You can get domperidone on prescription sometimes which increases milk supply. Its worth asking your healthvisitor to organise a prescription.

hello loveleen,

I am a mix feeding mom too with my 6 months old baby, since the schedule of work is very hectic and sometimes assigned in nearby places, So i give BF before and after work to my baby,.and I’ve been using the Kinder Baby Feeding System and I just want to say it has been an absolute god sent. It comes with disposable, pre sterilized and BPA free liners. Saves me a heap of time as I don’t need to sterilize bottles. And when I went traveling for 6 weeks to Asia a few months ago, it was the best thing I took with me.

Thanks NicoleKitch, Thats very helpful...I will quickly search on it to buy it..Thanks for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back