Well after all these blood tests

TORino

Reaction score
I have a diagnosis.

I have just been called by the receptionist from the doctors after the blood test I had yesterday for ferritin levels. (quick I thought)

Apparently I am anaemic? I have a script for iron waiting for me at the docs.

Quite bemusing all of this. I'm wondering if I have a special type of anaemia because I have had so many blood tests and my haemaglobin levels have always been 11.5 plus.

Oh well. I just hope these tabs don't make me constipated!

Don't know if this is useful to you, but in my family we have a condition called haemocromotosis which is where our bodies have high ferritin levels. From what i am told ferritin a protein which helps control the storage of iron and controls how the iron is released (something along those lines, theres so many ins and outs).
I'm not sure what low ferritin levels is called, but i can tell you than my grandad had high ferritin levels yet still had a low hb when he was ill. So its the other way round with you with a normal hb but low ferritin. Anyway, not sure how useful that is.
Glad you finally got to the bottom of things and hope the tablets work for you :) xx

Anemia is normal during pregnancy and it's short of a false anemia. Your plasma increases and the red cells in it increase too but not as much as the plasma so the reading comes back as anemia. It's a physiological thing to happen. It Dosent mean that sth is wrong with you. My pre pregnancy levels were 13.5 at first trimester I already had 12 and it will continue to go down through trimesters.

Oh maybe I didn't make myself clear. Even if its a normal and quite false anemia it should be corrected with meds as it can make you feel tired and ofc you don't want your iron reserves too low before labour and bf.

I think there are several different types although I could be thinking of something else. Hopefully the iron will sort it out, ask for some lactulose as well just in case xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks ladies.

I don't feel tired really so if it perks me up even more that'll be good.

glad you finally got a diagnosis. what iron tablets are you on? im on ferrous sulphate and they've made me constipated- just a warning! xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back