Weeping Belly Button

Amanda

Reaction score
Charlie's belly button healed fine at the start - the stump fell off after 9 days, and seemed very clean after. But the last 2 days it has started weeping slightly, and has got worse overnight at each nappy change. I've just changed him again and it had actually scabbed over.

Apologies for any of you eating your breakfast, but it is weeping sticky yellow gunge which then scabs. :puke:

It isn't red or swollen, and Charlie is definitely not bothered by it. I've just pressed and squeezed it quite hard to see if it hurts him, and he hasn't flinched. I'm cleaning it with cotton wool and water.

My HV is not in work this week, so the only choice I have is to get him a doctors appointment today if needed. But am I over-reacting? Has this happened to anyone else? The doctor wouldn't be able to give him anything and will probably just tell me to keep it clean, so is it worth bothering them? Or if I leave it, will it get worse?

This is one of those situations where I don't want to seem like a paranoid mother for no reason, but also don't want to leave it if it is going to get worse!

Help me girls!! If I want to get an appointment today, I'm going to have to phone the doctors by 8.30am at the latest.

I'd just clean it regularly with cool bolied water, and let it get LOTS of air.

If it's still bad in a day or so then take him in, but for now I'd just keep it clean :)

EDIT: BTW if it feels hot to the touch around it, or if he has a temperature, I'd take him in.

Thanks Urchin - that's what I thought. I just wanted someone else's opinion, and you've said exactly what I was feeling. I've just come back from the school run so have cleaned it again and folded his nappy down so it's open to the air.

I agree with urchin

As long as he's well regular cleaning should do the trick.

Also a thought does his nappy come over his belly button? I used to have to fold the top of lily's in as it would rub on her belly button and make it a bit like that but hers did take awhile to heal.

xSuzx

This happened with jamie and it turned out to be an "umbilicial granuloma"
It was red (not sore) and gunky for months and always rubbed off onto his vest which looked gross!!!
Its not serious but probley best to take him to the doc if it doesnt clear up as they treat it by rubbing a little silver nitrate stick over it, which again doesnt hurt.

I didnt take jamie to the doc in the end as i used salt water and within a couple of days it had completely healed! so definitely try salt water!

hth

Thanks Steph. I've just googled that, and it does sound like Charlie has one. I'll try the salt water for a few days.

Aimee had a granuloma and the GP gave me a silver nitrate but i was to scared to use it on her so we used salt water and it did the trick after 2 or 3 days. I had to be really salty though, almost a paste for it to work.

Stanley has just started getting this too, strange him being so close in age to Charlie too!

We'll be trying the salt water, hope it works :D

hi hun... Ellis' belly button didnt heal properly till 8 weeks, it worried me too as i thought it was taking too long xxx

Hi

Hope all your LOs get there belly buttons better sounds yucky
Katrina

Just to let you all know that I showed the GP on my 6 week check, and she said it was infected. :(

She gave us some anti-biotic cream to put on twice a day, and 3-4 days later, it was all healed. :cheer:

ooooo poor little sweety, hope it didnt hurt him. Atleast they didnt burn it??!! that sounded scary to me xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back