Weaning routine

positivity :)

Reaction score
Iv started giving Will one meal a day (ellas organics) but by 6 months I want him on 3 meals a day. Trouble is I'm confused about his bottle feeds?!

Anyone else started and if so, what is the feeding routine?

X

I bumped Angel up to 2 meals a day at 5.5 months. Usually she has an 8oz bottle at 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6.30pm. This is usually the times (give or take 30 mins here and there). Breakfast varies because after her 6am bottle she'll go back to sleep till 8 or 9am so her breakfast is 8.30 or 9.30 depending. She has porridge mixed with fruit or a fruity porridge and yoghurt mix. She just has her 2pm bottle as I haven't started her on lunch yet. She'll have her tea at 5.30 usually. I've got a book on weaning for Cow + Gate and it says at 6 months they should still be having 500-600ml of formula every day. I'm probably gonna be starting on lunch too soon. Luckily she is a very good eater and weaning has been great so far. She's draining all 4 of those bottles (sometimes wanting even more) and eating her breakfast and tea really well. So I might start trying her on a bit of lunch. What one of my friends suggested about the bottles is to miss one out, so for me she advised to try and miss out the 10am bottle and feed her lunch but I'm reluctant to do this yet so I'm speak to HV this week before I do anything else :) x

When i started weaning my little girl i let her drop the bottles herself, that way at least you know that your lb is still getting the amount of food he needs and let him tell you when he doesnt want it.

My little girl went from having 5 bottles a day, then i put her on her meals and she has gradually decreased to 3 and she only has about 3/4 ounces of her middle bottle so pretty soon that will go down to 2 bottles a day!

Now the fun starts :) make sure you wear a rain mac for feeding times!!

When Jack went onto 3 meals a day at 6ish months I alternated between milk & food so he has breakfast as soon as he wakes up because he's never ever wanted milk first thing, then morning milk, then lunch then afternoon milk then dinner then bedtime milk and also a night feed. Now at nearly 11 months he has a morning bottle, a couple of ounces just before his afternoon nap & his bedtime bottle x

I started weaning G, but find it a bit confusing. I understand that I'm supposed to give him milk first, but then he gets full and doesn't want solids after that! Seems kinda illogical to me...

I started weaning G, but find it a bit confusing. I understand that I'm supposed to give him milk first, but then he gets full and doesn't want solids after that! Seems kinda illogical to me...

I always gave the solids first and then the milk after, so F got used to having food and then topped up with her bottle if that makes sense?

Once they are on foods, they are getting the nutrition they are getting from the bottles so they just balance each other out!

:fib:Trying to remember what I did. I started blw at 6 months. Fairly quickly she had dropped to just morning and bedtime bottles. Gave bottle when woke, breakfast about an hour later.
Offered mid morning bottle which she dropped and I replaced with snack. Gave lunch about midday before nap. After nap, about 3, offered further bottle. She dropped this bit later so replaced that with snack. Dinner was about 5 and then bedtime bottle about 630.

This is the exact reason I never gave Jack milk with his food. I waited at least 2hrs between milk and food x

Thanks ladies, so basically i let him tell me how many bottles he wants?

Lauren, what yogurt are u giving? I want to try Will on some yogurt xx

Plum baby do a good sugar free yoghurt. You have to be careful as some are loaded with sugar. If you are doing blw though fromage frais is better as it stays on the spoon easier!

Thanks ladies, so basically i let him tell me how many bottles he wants?

Lauren, what yogurt are u giving? I want to try Will on some yogurt xx

Normal Petits Filous I've only just introduced her to it and she loves it. I don't give her a whole pot, not including the bits she spits out she probably has about 2 whole spoonfuls and I eat the rest lol x

I got told to offer milk first.

E has BF in morning, followed by Ella's Kitchen pouch, same at lunch and at dinner. If she still seems hungry between meals, I will offer BM. She has been having this for about a month now and she seems happy and her weight seems normal. I just give her her pouch until she is full and then I stop on her cue.

The weaning thing has puzzled me. When my eldest was 6 months old you didn't give formula anymore, they went straight to cows milk back then (7yrs ago) my OH thinks we should do it the same way - doesn't get the whole NHS changing it thing. Anyway....I could never remember anything about weaning her apart from the above....with Kayden his circumstances are slightly diff coz of his reflux, he cant have too much milk or he gets worse reflux, so before we weaned he was only on 20oz a day (doc reduced from 38oz) They do say that formula is still the main source of nutrician but I got into habit of food first then bottle, every single person weans differently, i think its trial & error for what suits you. He started off still wanting the same bottles then after about 2 weeks of breakfast & lunch he dropped a bottle then after another 2 weeks he dropped another bottle, when I say dropped I mean...he would sleep longer for day time naps (I presume coz his tummy was fuller) and would automatically miss a bottle so now it goes like this

7/8am wake - breakfast then bottle
nap
11/12 - lunch then bottle
nap
3/4pm - dinner then bottle - sometimes his nap lasts til 5pm & he just gets dinner & his bedtime bottle.
6/7pm - bed time bottle.

I have to admit i'm a bit concerned that he isn't getting enough formula given what the side of the tin says about how much they should get. But one thing I do remember from weaning 1st LO is that they end up after about a month of weaning...go onto a bottle after every meal & a bed time one. So im not too concerned in that sense.

Sorry this is a bit long couldn't think how to shorten it

xxxxxxxxxxx

The weaning thing has puzzled me. When my eldest was 6 months old you didn't give formula anymore, they went straight to cows milk back then (7yrs ago) my OH thinks we should do it the same way - doesn't get the whole NHS changing it thing. Anyway....I could never remember anything about weaning her apart from the above....with Kayden his circumstances are slightly diff coz of his reflux, he cant have too much milk or he gets worse reflux, so before we weaned he was only on 20oz a day (doc reduced from 38oz) They do say that formula is still the main source of nutrician but I got into habit of food first then bottle, every single person weans differently, i think its trial & error for what suits you. He started off still wanting the same bottles then after about 2 weeks of breakfast & lunch he dropped a bottle then after another 2 weeks he dropped another bottle, when I say dropped I mean...he would sleep longer for day time naps (I presume coz his tummy was fuller) and would automatically miss a bottle so now it goes like this

nap
nap
3/4pm - dinner then bottle - sometimes his nap lasts til 5pm & he just gets dinner & his bedtime bottle.
6/7pm - bed time bottle.

I have to admit i'm a bit concerned that he isn't getting enough formula given what the side of the tin says about how much they should get. But one thing I do remember from weaning 1st LO is that they end up after about a month of weaning...go onto a bottle after every meal & a bed time one. So im not too concerned in that sense.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hun I really wouldn't worry about the amount of milk your LO is having compared to the side of the box. From day 1 Jack has always had way below the average for his age and he's perfectly healthy. He's never ever been that interested in milk but loves his food :) I worried for months over his low milk intake but then changed the way I thought because he gains weight (very slowly though, he's only 18lbs!) and is very very strong, active and healthy which will do for me! :)

nap
nap
6/7pm - bed time bottle.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hun I really wouldn't worry about the amount of milk your LO is having compared to the side of the box. From day 1 Jack has always had way below the average for his age and he's perfectly healthy. He's never ever been that interested in milk but loves his food :) I worried for months over his low milk intake but then changed the way I thought because he gains weight (very slowly though, he's only 18lbs!) and is very very strong, active and healthy which will do for me! :)

My friends baby is exactly the same as Jack. At 6 months he was having hardly any milk at all and he loves his food but he can be very fussy and if he doesn't want to eat, he won't. He's perfectly healthy, he is slightly underweight but he was prem and her HV has put it down to that xxx

Thank you all so much for your replies. Littlemiss, it's interesting you say about daytime naps, Will seems to be napping for much longer now, does anyone else's LO's do this too since introducing solids? X

Ella routine goes like this;

Wakes around 7 has a bottle goes back to sleep for an hour, has banana porridge, stays awake until around 12 then has a nap - next bottle can be anywhere between 12 and 2, then she has a bottle at 4/5 then her dinner at 6 then bedtime bottle at 7ish... She is taking about 20ish ounces of milk a day, I haven't really thought about introducing lunch!

From 8am ish Ella will only have 1.1/2 to 2 hours sleep max until she goes to bed at around 7.

Xx

Thank you all so much for your replies. Littlemiss, it's interesting you say about daytime naps, Will seems to be napping for much longer now, does anyone else's LO's do this too since introducing solids? X

Leo does this too. He normally naps after his bottle plays for an hour/ hour an half the naps again. I mentioned it to hv and She said It's the day/night mix up thing but I'm not sire But kinda didn't tell her about the waning because She had a go at me the last time and made a point of telling me to only start solids At 26 weeks :-s I got the annabel karmel book on weaning and find it so helpful and has different recipes for different stages and she says offer food about an hour before his milk that way he's stillhungry enough to try the food butwill still have his milk xxx

I find LO likes an extra long nap (2.5hrs) after lunch, I think its coz his tummy is extra full.

xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back