Weaning progression

Hope81

Reaction score
Amelie would now eat and chew about everything texture wise, big chunks, meat. She never gags and very rarely starts coughing mostly because she usually laughs while eating. She moves things around her mouth nicely and we included everything besides pulses that will come at 1 year old, nuts that will come much later and seafood that will also come much later. She can perfectly handle finger food by herself she is just going through a phase of refusing to do it :roll:

So what's now?? Do we just stay like that and build up in quantity of food that she is eating? I am not so sure how to advance more? She is eating like a toddler now in pieces of food rather than mashed.
When does cutlery come?

Oh she is 7 1/2 m old

The BLW book I read says until they are aprox 9 months they aren't eating to get 'full' they are just playing / experimenting. So they should be getting all they need from milk still.

From 9 months they should be offered food at more 'set' meal times [so roughly breakfast, lunch and dinner] but also their normal feeds. So basically they have the option of deciding what they want to eat and then can build up and drop a milk feed as and when.

Once they are down to just a few milk feeds they need to be offered snacks as well as 'meals'

They shouldn't be able to use cutlery for a good while but if they are interested the BLW book says give them a baby fork as this is easiest for them to get to grips with.

I say if its going well just carry on hun? There is no set time to have them fully weaned?? Amelie will know when she is ready

xxxxxxx

Yeah she only has 2 bottles now and 1/2, meals at set times but no snacks because she is not that hungry yet and even with no snacks I seem to be feeding her all day??
I have the blw book thank you. Purely blw babies they don't eat that mug for long time.
Though she is not spoon fed now she certainly knows that food is to fill her tummy and she eats enough in a meal to last her 4h until next meal.
I have a baby fork actually I may let her have some fun with that.

Forks are easier as they have the prongs, although book also says you can load up a spoon for them (I do it with porridge)

Obviously we are very new to weaning so I was just passing on what I read, you know it all already though so I am not much use :lol:

xxxxxxx

Fork was a great success, she can't stab yet but I offer her a loaded fork and she knew what to do with it.
She ate 1/2 of her dinner like that, the rest i fed her to her with my hand (grilled fish, fries, Greek salad with feta cheese and 1/2 banana yogurt with a crumbled digestive) I managed to spoon feed her the yogurt while she was having a go herself dumping the fork in the yogurt ha ha.

Yay to the fork being a success hun.

James can put a loaded spoon in his mouth (this is how we do porridge) but he's not yet attempted to dip spoon in the bowl..

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back