Water/Juice

babsi

Reaction score
2 things, the weather here is really nice and sunny now and I want to give Kai some water, he doesn't like water and much prefers his milk what is the best time to try introducing it? Also how much roughly should he have a day?

When can you start giving them juice? 4 months? I want to try him with apple juice soon and how much a day?

Are you bottle feeding or breastfeeding?

I am breastfeeding and am thinking about weaning Seren when she is over 17 weeks and will be introducing a cup with water then. I have been advised that I should try not to introduce any juice if I can as babies have a naturally sweet tooth and may refuse to drink water if they have had juice, and juice has high sugar unless you realy dilute it. I don't know how you can get him to drink water, especially if he is preferring milk, perhaps give it to him betwen feeds?? Good luck with it x

Thanks, I am bottlefeeding. That makes sense about the juice, I shall wait until he has water ok.

The problem with giving it to him between feeds is that he will maybe have it and expect milk, he is difficult in that way and I would probably have to feed him then.

Hopefully he will start to take water soon as I don't want him to de-hydrate when it is really hot here. Better to start now and perserve a bit.

Hmmm, I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps just give him a cup with water to hold and see if he eventually drinks it?

Not a very good review there :? I need to get Damien onto water/diluted juice now as he is having lots of solids but he doesn't havew the fine motor skills to hold a cup to his face or even try and learn. I can't give him diluted juice in a bottle (can I?). Is that cup a good idea for little ones who struggle to hold onto cups? Damien is 4 months old now but is still behind on many things.

Babsi, Oscar has been taking water from a spout cup now for a couple of weeks... on and off! Although I'm BF'ing, I wanted him to get use to it. I dont make any issue of it as I believe that thats when the paw-paw hits the fan!! I agree with Beanie, give baby a cup with handles that is also light enough to hold. Let him fiddle about with it... ie. chomp on the spout etc. He'll get the hang of it before you know it. I reccommend Pigeons MagMag spout cup.... see pics.
Try and avoid juice, but if you want to, dilute 1 part water to 10 parts water.... disgusting really..... I'd prefer water if i was a baby!!! :D :D
oscarcup.jpg

magcup.jpg

Sami, this cup is light and pretty easy to hold. They discourage babies to drink anything other than milk from a bottle.... I also think it becomes aan "associate" problem later ie. baby wont take juice from a cup a they associate it with having it in a bottle, resulting in dental issues.
Don't worry anout D's abilities... hold the cup for him. :wink:
Emilia xx

It is also the sucking action as well with the juice, it can cause more probs as the sugar is in contact with the teeth for longer, it is also why the non spill ones can cause probs as they involve the baby having to suck the juice instead of it just going into their mouth. I have the tomee tipee easi flow one one. At the moment I am just letting Seren play with it, it doesn't have anything in at the moment but she likes holding it.

Thanks everyone, I never knew that about the juice in a cup. Later when I go out, I might have a look at the cups and get one and let Kai play with it for a while.

BTW when do you stop giving them bottles?? And does milk always have to come in a bottle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back