Wanting to know what times to express to keep milk supply up please??

Sunnyb

Reaction score
We have now managed to successfully get Holly to drink from the Medela Calma bottles & the breast. Unfortunately she's suffering terribly with colic & we have really bad nights with her. As I've been breastfeeding, it's taking it's toll on me & I'm getting so tired. My hubby is very concerned & has offered to do the nightfeeds every other night for me with expressed milk. My concerns are it affecting my milk production.
Should I still feed Holly on demand during the day & then express in between & save it for night time feeds? Also if I'm not breastfeeding Holly during the night, should I be expressing during the night to keep my supply up?
I'm just concerned if I stop feeding her or expressing at the wrong time that my milk will dry up.

Sunnyb xxx

I think as long as you express fairly regularly then your supply will stay up - think about those (lucky) mums who's babies sleep through the night from the word go - they still have a good enough supply for the daytime!

I did read somewhere that the hormone that's in charge of milk supply is highest in the body between midnight-4am, so if you were going to express during the night that might be the best time?

When your hubby has done a night shift, can you give Holly her first feed off just one boob? Then you can express the other and that should be nice and full after a good night's sleep :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back