Vomitting / Spitup

iWitch

Reaction score
So LO is a week old & has been ff since day 2. Today after some of his feeds he's vomited / Spitup a large amount compared to normal (he's literally just covered one cup of my bra).

He's feeding fine, nappies are fine & he's settling as normal. He doesn't have a temp.

He does guzzle at first so I've been trying to pace him a little but doesn't seem to change anything.

Should I be worried? Or is this normal? I have midwife visiting in morning but wanted some opinions xx

I read somewhere abut stopping them every ounce and just letting them catch their breath/have a rest. Supposedly helps them to recognise when they're full? Ur probably already doing that but it's my only suggestion?!? Xx

It's normal for babies to spit up some formula. It often looks like huge amounts when it actually isn't (try spilling a teaspoon of water onto a cloth and see how far it goes. He could just be drinking too quickly and taking in a lot of air which is then expelled as a burp but with a load of milk. If he's on a medium flow teat you could try going back to a slow flow or if you're on a slow flow, stop him regularly and burp him.

How did it go with the midwife?

could be reflux, my daughter started with that at 2 weeks......she used to cover me! and the idea of using a muslin to catch it/clean it up was laughable, more like a bath towel! It often used to look like she's brought back the entire bottle, but she still settled and went just as long between feeds, and gained weight!

Sorry for late reply! We seem to be having problems getting him to wind. We've started going him infacol which helps so he's not sicking up as much if he does at all.

He seems to be a bit constipated now so gave him some cooled boiled water when he seemed hungry but instead brought his entire last bottle up! Covered me completely :( poor lad xx

Emma is 4 weeks today and I'm using infacol too. She still spewing at least once a day, enough that I'm needing to change my clothes and mop it off the floor, then make a new bottle. What advice were you given by midwife? I'm back to the hv on weds.

MW suggested to burp frequently which we still struggle with and to keep him sat up after feeding for a while. She said it was normal & as long as he's keeping some fluids down & nappies are normal then there's nothing to worry about.

Let me know what your HV says please. I found the NHS give conflicting advise xx

Just back from the hv, she said to swap to Aptamil comfort for one tub only then back to the normal Aptamil. This is her trick to help with baby getting used to bringing up wind. She said as long as Emma isn't bringing up every bottle, then not to worry. If it gets more frequent I'm to to to GP and ask for gaviscon which apparently will settle the tummy.

I was told to burp frequently too, but that's no help if baby just goes to sleep and doesn't feed properly.

Just back from the hv, she said to swap to Aptamil comfort for one tub only then back to the normal Aptamil. This is her trick to help with baby getting used to bringing up wind. She said as long as Emma isn't bringing up every bottle, then not to worry. If it gets more frequent I'm to to to GP and ask for gaviscon which apparently will settle the tummy.

I was told to burp frequently too, but that's no help if baby just goes to sleep and doesn't feed properly.

We have a tub in just in case so if it gets bad I'll follow the same advice! We've done some reading on the comfort milk & it seems you might need to use number 2 flo teats because the milks slightly thicker xx

We have a tub in just in case so if it gets bad I'll follow the same advice! We've done some reading on the comfort milk & it seems you might need to use number 2 flo teats because the milks slightly thicker xx

We can't even get Emma to move from the premie teats to number 1. We've been attempting the size 1 teats every few days and it just makes her spew on every bottle.

How's Emma doing? We've been & bought the number 2 teats today & just given LO first bottle of comfort milk....it did seem to take some sucking xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back