Vicks?

rubyraven

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am really choked up with the cold and finding it really hard to breathe let alone fall asleep, is it ok to rub a little bit of Vicks under your nose when your pregnant or sniff it on a tissue? Or is there anything else that's reccomended for colds when your expecting?
I think I'm going to have to go on a trip to Tesco before bedtime my blocked nose is driving me mad!!

Don't think Vicks is allowed hun, one of the ingredients is bad for baby ( I think it's the camphor). I'm just getting over the cold, I used a steam bowl which helped a little with my breathing. Also hot honey and Lemon drinks by the gallon. The honey will sooth your throat and when mixed with water is a natural antiseptic. Hope you feel better soon, it sucks being I'll when preggers x

I had Vicks on a hanky to sniff. Just avoided rubbing it on my chest etc. Can also try putting some in bowl of hot water and putting your head over with a towel to breathe vapours in.

If you're full of a cold I also recommend hot water, honey, lemon and fresh ginger as an alternative to normal cold and flu drinks xx

Thank you ladies, I'll away and try the hot water steam in a bowl now. It's rubbish having a cold and not really being able just to use all the things you usually would like sudafed and lemsip :( xx

I've used vicks throughout my pregnancy. According to babycentre it is safe http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

I don't think there has been conclusive evidence that states it is unsafe to use in pregnancy. Camphor is dangerous to children and when it is ingested or enters the blood stream. In my view, inhaling a tiny amount will not do any harm but obviously I think the benefits of using it outweigh the risks. Just my personal opinion mind.

I dont know what the actual guidelines are but when I was pg 2 separate pharmacists told me that its not allowed, so I didn't use it.

:roll:

You could try having a bath with some olbas oil in it?

Vicks is fine. Get yourself some breathright strips as well, they help a little.

Literally was just at docs today and had suffered for two weeks with a cold thinking i couldnt use olbus oil or vicks. Cold is now gone but out of curiosity i asked her and she said olbus is perfectly fine as is vicks to rub on :) even drop a bit in a nice hot bath and let it work :)

Olbas oil baths are lovely :) I sometimes have one even when I'm not ill lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back