Very overweight, will Doctors help with TTC?

it really must depend on your GP as IMO...BMI is bullshit.

I am a size ten, but weigh 11stone and am 5 foot 3............that makes me obese apparently?

But my GP said weight wasnt a factor and in my area its either 1 year of ttc, or help comes 1 year after your past pregnancy.

As i MC in sept they count that as my last pregnancy, i thought they may help me more in july as thats when i concieved but no, they will only help me from the 5th Sept as thats when i lost baby last year!?

all i want is a hsg :roll: i can have 21 day bloods and thats it!

I hope you get the help you need sweety :dust:

it really must depend on your GP as IMO...BMI is bullshit.

I am a size ten, but weigh 11stone and am 5 foot 3............that makes me obese apparently?

But my GP said weight wasnt a factor and in my area its either 1 year of ttc, or help comes 1 year after your past pregnancy.

As i MC in sept they count that as my last pregnancy, i thought they may help me more in july as thats when i concieved but no, they will only help me from the 5th Sept as thats when i lost baby last year!?

all i want is a hsg :roll: i can have 21 day bloods and thats it!

I hope you get the help you need sweety :dust:

Same thinking as you on the bmi. I'm 5ft 7, 13 stone and a size 12. I've done martial arts for years so I have minimal body fat but on paper I am overweight. It's total crap really.

My doctor hates the bmi thing, he's says its complete crap...his words!

He explained that you can't use 1 system to label all people it just doesn't work. For example 1 person of average height weighs 15 st and has a lot of body fat would be classed as obese....but a body builder of 15st with little to no body fat would according to bmi still be classed as obese! System is rubbish and doesn't work!

Agree with everyone the bmi this is rubbish!!!!x

Sis has PCOS and I was being kind with the 18stone, asked her and she said last time she weighed herself she was 20stone. She is a size 24/26

I think she sees it as such a mountain to climb, having SO much weight to lose, and failing so many times in the past. And when she is miserable? she eats.

I am hoping that the want for a baby will help her lose the weight this time, as she also has high blood pressure and is on tablets for it. She has cut out drinking every weekend, and only drinks once in a blue moon though. she also smokes, although its only a few a day. The doctor is going to have a field day with her if she goes in asking for help saying she cant get pregnant!

I am just going to have to be there for her when she comes out crying and reaching for the maccie D's..........

thanks ladies

My sister was really heavy. A size 24/26 and it was very much she was a comfort eater. It's how she dealt with things. She started a diet with lighter life, and it was pretty drastic, cut out all food was a detox. She ate shakes and soups. And then they gradually re introduce food, along with a counselling programme. And that's what really helped my sister. She has a completely different attitude to food now. And lost 7stone in the year she was on it. It wasn't without its ups and downs and was quite expensive. But it really helped her. She's no longer on the diet and maintains her current weight. So there is options out there.
But your right about the doctor having a field day. It's a bit of a vicious circle xxx

she did lose 5stone on the Cambridge diet a few years ago and loved her new self. But as soon as she came off it she started putting on the weight again. I just think that she thinks she has been big all her life (ever since getting bullied in primary school) and is destined to be big forever.

she is only 5'2 so her BMI would be around 52.

i so wish I could go in and have a word with the doctor before she goes in to see them!

at 20stone she has a good bit too lose - but small targets should help. maybe 5lbs at a time? i feel for her, all this ttc-ing is depressing and whenever i feel down, as i quit smoking, all i want is cake!

You sound like your a good sister. And with your support i'm sure she will loose the weight if its decided that she needs to.

She's really lucky to have your support, maybe when she does goes to docs you will just have to be there for her. These diets can only work if the person doing them really wants it.xx

I weight about 20 stone got pregnant, carried a baby and giving birth was really easy, trust me if loosing weight was as easy as some people say it is then i would be a size 10, its like trying to tell an anorexic to eat with some people with emotional issues (both eating disorders) It could be her weight or something else but only the doctor can tell you im afraid. P.S my midwife was twice the size of me thankfully so no shitty comments to me from her about weight loss! xx

Hi.

I am overwieght and weighing 18stone ish aswell. I went to my gynaecologist for help but got turned down until I lost atleast 2 stone but ideally 4 stone :/. This was very disheartnening as I have arthritis so to exercise is a killer to me.

They will probably ask her to prove she can loose weight before they will do any tests like they did to me. It is very sad but I understand why.

X x

I am about 14 stone and my doctors have never mentioned my weight. I am hypothyroid though so I think they're a bit more lenient.

That being said my cycles were always 27/28 days and had +OPKs so I must not be overweight enough to affect my cycles.

I have been heavier in the past though and can agree that even a little weight loss will make a huge difference to her. And it'll prove to the Dr that she's serious about TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back