Vegetarian and pregnant

Sydneysmum

Reaction score
I don't know if there is anyone else around here who's vegetarian and pregnant (or veggie and breastfeeding) but I thought it would be good to compare notes.

I managed to make it through my last pregnancy without having to take iron tablets. I ate dried apricots and even molases in hot milk in the end just to make sure I was getting enough. I'm starting to slow down again now and I'm wondering if I'm anemic - so I'm going to ask the midwife when I see her tomorrow.

I'm already trying to do what I can - I eat plenty of pulses and grains with hidden nutrients like quinoa and pumpkin seeds. I know that people with nut allergies in their families have to avoid peanuts but I try to have some peanut butter on toast mid morning if I remember.

Not sure what else I can do - any suggestions?

Spatone is good for iron levels. It is mineral water with iron in, my midwife suggested it to me. It comes in a sachet the size of a tomato sauce sachet and you add it to a glass of fruit juice (OJ is best). It really helped me. You get it from chemists :)

Ooohh... MW also recommended dark chocolate for iron, the darker the better... what better excuse eh :lol: :D

Thank you, will ask the midwife about Spatone tomorrow. Have just had some Green & Black's mega dark chocolate so I may just go and have a few squares more...

Hey :) I've been veggie for 11 years now, so am also trying to eat really well too. My first set of bloods came back with great results which I was so pleased with as it means I've been doing a good job keeping healthy!

I don't do anything special really, just try to eat lots of wholegrains and get my 5 a day - as well as eat plenty of protein (including fish occasionally - only introduced this during pregnancy) and drink plenty of milk. I took Floradix (from Holland and Barrett) at the start of my pregnancy which is a liquid iron supplement, but haven't taken it for a few months, but I think I will start again just to be on the safe side. It's safe to use in pregnancy :) That's a great idea about the molasses though, I might have to try that! My usual diet is like this:

Breakfast: Large bowl of branflakes with a serving of raisins (added by me - never enough for a fruit portion in sultana bran!). Semi skimmed milk.

Snacks: Apples/satsumas/Activia yogurts/caramel rice cakes.

Lunch: Could be soup and wholegrain bread/tuna or philadelphia sandwich with a portion of cucumber/celery/cherry tomatoes etc. Packet of crips occasionally. Followed by more fruit or yogurt and sometimes a chocolate biscuit.

Dinner: Pasta with tomato sauce and extra veggies/quorn sausages with new potatoes and vegetables/soup and wholegrain bread/occasional chinese or indian takeaway.

Snacks: More yogurt/bananas/biscuits etc

I eat LOADS!!!!!!!!!!!

C xxx

Tangerinedream said:
Spatone is good for iron levels. It is mineral water with iron in, my midwife suggested it to me. It comes in a sachet the size of a tomato sauce sachet and you add it to a glass of fruit juice (OJ is best). It really helped me. You get it from chemists :)

Ooohh... MW also recommended dark chocolate for iron, the darker the better... what better excuse eh :lol: :D

As if we need an excuse for chocolate :wink: :rotfl:

Thanks for that, will look out for Spatone :)

im a lifelong vegetarian and when i had my bloods the midwife said she'd never seen such a high ferritin count 8)

not sure why cos my diet wasnt exactly balanced. :think:

ive always eaten a high protein diet but i went off protein while i was pregnant

i'd stick with chocolate if i were you :rotfl: :dance:

I was a veggie for 7 years (most of my adult life) and from about 10 weeks have had the most horrendous craving for beef. I was bleeding heavily for the first 15 weeks so put it down to that and lack of iron.

I think I will probably stay a carnivore after baby is born.

i dont eat meat and i couldnt eat nuts while pregnant or breastfeeding as my baby-daddy is allergic so i got almost zero protein! quorn and peas were all i got i think lol.
i just took my pregnacare tablets and veggie omega oil capsules (from morrisons) i was fine. i think u can get iron supplements should u need them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back